Style of play

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Style of play

What exactly is our style of play? Early last season it was definately more the old style Munster with rolling mauls, pick and goes from the forwards and not too much input from the backs. For the moment of change was around the new year. Barry Murphy and Halstead got a fantastic partnership going in the centres and although we didn't click against the Ladyboys in the RDS both that game and away in Edinburgh showed our potential. The Castres away match and Sale home games proved that. We were unlucky with injuries but still played a relatively expansive game when the time was right.

This season the maul and lineout has performed. There is very little of the pick and go around the fringes and a complete lack of putting phases together. Our defense is outstanding and has seen us through many sticky situations already but i'm hoping that Deccie can bring the players into form at just the right time like last season. I believe we have a better squad than last year.We are in a better position in the HC than last year, I have no doubt that if its going to a tight game that Munsterwill win but things need to improve.

We need the lineout functioning properly, not only getting our own ball but nicking oppostion ball as well. The maul needs to get back to its best. Halstead and Murphy need to click (there was a sample of itin the Bourgoin game) more often and we need to hold onto possesion and go through the phases.
    \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Well you can see their intentions are to play expansively even if doesn't work out all the time. It'd be interesting to see what percentage of possession we have kicked this season compared with recent ones.

Comment

there seems to be a shift away from the driving maul (unless needed)
      and more to offloading in contact.
      this is surely a good thing as teams would be ready for us.

Comment

I understand the shift away from the "traditional" game but so far this season it hasn't really worked that well. We haven't been able to piece the running game together yet and the qualities of our forward play that have served us so well are not at the standard that we have come to expect.

\"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Setting ourselves up for a good old wumming here guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Dermot G
            Setting ourselves up for a good old wumming here guys.
            Perhaps so but the points here are valid. I'll be frank, I thought we looked bereft of ideas out wide in the later stages of the game last Saturday and resorted to just chucking the ball flat for the sake of it to very little effect (bar some good running from Kelly). Cardiff disrupted the mauls well. Often this was illegally done and really, someone should've been binned, but them's the breaks. They defended well and frankly, it was good work by the backs setting up a solid maul platform for the forwards to come in on that earned us the BP. You can see they are trying though and I thought Kelly ran some really intelligent lines. But - the point remains, champagne rugby (or even rugby like that played in the final - a tactically astute mixture of typical Munster plays and some sterling work out wide) it most certainly was not. Still, we're in a MUCh better position than twelve months ago so it's perhaps churlish to grumble overmuch

Is minic a bhris béal duine a shróin

Comment

whats a wumming?

Comment

Munster are evolving their play, just as Ireland have tried to do, and other top sides since the last wor;ld cup. This is all based on how the ABs play really and how they have reinvented the attacking game strategy as the primaryroute to win a game of rugby. Versus a position and pressure strategy a la England and Munster in previous years.

There is cyclical thing at play here, as in 1987 the ABs won the WC pre-dominantly thru OS attacking play of Kirwan, Bunce, Kirk et Al, then after this the big defensive style of sides took over with Aus, SA and then England picking huge forwards and huge centres and strangling the life out of teams. This held till the 95 world cup when along came a new AB sidewith beautiful running backs supported by Kronfield, Jones & ZinZan, they played the best rugby seen for 10 years and basically totally reinvented the modern attacking game. This game is based on ball retention and go thru the phases until you have out run your opposition and created a gap to score. Its a great way to play the game IMHO.

Then England's big player, big hit, big defence strategy took over again, with big hard hitting players like Johnno, Dayglo, Hill & Tindall running games culminating in them winning the last world cup with mostly a huge pack, big centres, a class outhalf and taking all their pressure created penos. The current ABs have sent the pendulum right back towards attack again and thanks be to God for that. So Ireland & all other top sides (incl Munster) are now trying to replicate that high tempo, good skills, off load in the tackle, keep ball,sweeping game that the ABs have mastered at the MO. This is basically a derivative of the 95 sides style of play.

So where does this leave Munster? well you can see how they are trying to play from watching them. Their ideal type of game is the high tempo style of attacking game that they played v Leinster (Sale,Castres, etc)last year in Semi and for the first 50 Mins of the final. That is quality go forward first phase ball, with, fast passing thru ROG spreading flat passes to Halstead, Murphy & wingers coming at pace thru the centre, then off the ensuing high speed ruck ballthey are using their forward runners (such as Leamy, Wallace, Foley,Fla, etc)to continue momentum, with the idea to build a gap fora break from ROG, centres or Payne in one of the outside channels eventually. This is a great style of play, which they vary with some attacking mauls (like last week) and pinging of the corner when they want to change the direction & tempo of a game. For me, variety of moves for Munster's backs is now more important than ever as they are a little short of out & out pace and hence need to try to outsmart teams rather than out pace them to out manouvre them. I mean, Halstead, Kelly, Payne, Horgan & Dowling are all fine players but none of them will ever win an Olympic 100m final now will they. Truth is they are culmulatively slower byquite a margin than most backlines of the top 8 in Europe. In fact bar USAP I'd say we're the slowest. That is a negative but with good back play and interplay with hard running back rows it is something that can even be turned into a strength.

The 2 keys for the Munster backline for me, and for this style of play to work for them are ROG & Halstead. They effectively run and boss Munster's style of play and hence the tempo of all Munsters games as Munster nearly always win the majority of possession. The other keys of course are the mobility and skiils of all the forwards, but particularly the back row. Leamy & Wallace & the 2 locks would be knocking on the doors of any world XV at the moment for good reason, and 1 of the reasons Munster can play their high tempo game so well is cos these 4 players are so bloody good. Long may it continue......

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

surely as supporters we are entitled to express our opinion on how our
                  heroes play irrespective of our own level of understanding of the said
                  game with fear of a "wumming" [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Comment

I think people are forgetting just how few games our first 15 have actually played together this season, we're well behind in terms of cohesion but there's plenty of time to get it right. By losing players like Foley, Horan and Flannery we've lost a lot of ball carrying in the pack, so it's not surprising we're looking to spread it, we've also replaced a player who has been been virtually ever-present in the team (Foley) and it takes time to recover from that.

Added to that there's been issues over Halstead, Dowling and Murphy's fitness in the early season.
                    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

WUM - Wind Up Merchant
                      To WUM - To Wind Up
                      WUMMING - Acting like you're from Gwlad

Hibernicis natione, Mumhan per gratiam Dei

Comment

Originally posted by huron
                        WUM - Wind Up MerchantTo WUM - To Wind
                        UpWUMMING - Acting like you're from Gwlad
                        thanks for that [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

so if big Trev is so important what do we do next season as Larry and
                          Barry are different type players?

Comment

I thought Trev had his poorest game in a long while, taking the ball into contact too often and not offloading; when we badly needed to put width on our game.
                            Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
                            "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

Originally posted by who?
                              I thought Trev had his poorest game in a long while, taking the ball into contact too often and not offloading; when we badly needed to put width on our game.
                              True, but his strength and quick thinking made the BP try.
                              Is minic a bhris béal duine a shróin

Comment

Working...
                              X