Fury over Sunday KO: Fans Stay At Home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fury over Sunday KO: Fans Stay At Home

It's a disgrace, Munster fans have been treated like dirt once again.

Force them to change the time of the game.

This is a letter from a good unnamed friend sent to Munster Rugby,to Gerry in the The Irish Times, George Hook in Newstalk and John Corcoran in the ERC this morning, and I think it expresses the views of many fans who have made plans to travel to Geneva.

I am calling on those in the media to stir this up, it's beneath contempt the way the fans have been treated this time.

__________-
    <DIV>Good Morning.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Over the last number of years, Munster supporters have been asked a lot in terms of their time and resources. Never has there been a grumble about the cost of flights or travel. It's all part and parcel of the European odyssey and the fixtures themselves arealways worth that extra bit ofinconvenience to reach and participate in.Theseaway games have become part of Munster and Irish Rugby folklore. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>However, never once have those same supporters been treated with any degree of respect or fairness by the ERC in termsof planning or notice. Now we are informed, less than two weeks before Christmas, that the 'ground-breaking' Round 5 game between Munster and Bourgoin has been pencilled in for a Sunday less than two weeks into the new year. That's two weeks for most supporters to try and book flights in the run up to Christmas, from Ireland to Switzerland whichis not a particularlywell servicedroute, for a Sunday game andreturn home again for work on Monday morning. Madness. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>When have Bourgoin ever played a game of any merit on a Sunday?</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Personally speaking, Ihad flights booked from Thursday to Sunday lunchtime, in an attempt to try and cover most permutations that would be expected in this situation. A Friday night, Saturday lunchtime or Saturday evening kick-off would have given every awaysupporter a chance of being part of this special occasion but that wasn't deemed enough by some whoagain will attemptto squeeze as much as they can from anear inexhaustible Munster supporter base. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Ifor one, willnow not be travelling to Geneva. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Whoever came to this decision, and one can only hope and assume it was the geniusplanners at SKY,will in this case be left with a half empty football stadium to showcase what should be amomentousfirst for the competition instead ofalmost guaranteeing the carnivalatmospherethat would have come with aSaturday afternoon kick-off (re: Stade Francaisv.Sale). </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>The contemptin which this competitionholds the best travelling supporters in it's history is mind boggling. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Sincerely,</DIV>

x

Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Fair play !!

I probably won't be travelling either, simply due to the probable expense involved in that trip. I'd prefer to conserve my fianancial resources for any further away games (as in "home" quarter final) that may arise further into the season.

Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

I totally agree, pitty the erc are nothing more than the b*%€h monkey of TV stations

Comment

Very well put.Munster Supporters are being very badly treated again.I will not now be able to travel.I think we should Bombared the ERC until something is done about it.Enough is Enough[img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]
        I distrust Camels and anybody else that go for 7 days without a drink

Comment

With the ERC based in Dublin, if the Irish media pick this one up they'll certainly hear all about it.

Bourgoin are out of the competition and their fans don't travel at the best of times. Many many Munster fans can't afford the cash or the time to go and many other will be too pissed off to go. This has the makings of a real farce after the scenes atParc des Princes last weekend. I hope somebody somewhere is getting his arse kicked at the moment.

Comment

The foot Soilders are been shot down one by one .. I am another who wont make the Game, was a Christmas Present from my wife (well the pint ticket was) now I will hold off till the Quater final..PG. Talking to the lads at the Monday evening meeting i am not alone ... Pity.....

Comment

@@@@SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; COLOR: #4a4a4a; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Whatis the Munster Branch view on this, anything official?@@@@/SPAN>

Comment

sorry harry but that letter doesn't do much for me.

i know some supporters almost consider themselves as martyrs for marching all over europe with the red army in their quest to bring the so called holy grail back to the home of rugby but i think if they had any sense they wouldn't book any flights or accomodation for a game that they didn't know where or when is was going to be on.

travelling to away games in the heineken cup has always been a cod as you never know when the game is going to be played and recently where it's going to be played. this is why i wouldn't bother travelling to away pool games as the erc, sky and munster branch have never given a toss about travelling supporters. while everyone here loves to pat each other other on the back over the great sacrifices made to get to games, maybe a bit of sense should prevail now and again by staying at home and watching a game on telly.

Comment

Well said Harry, I think now is the time for Munsterfans to stand up and be counted, and if that means boycotting the game then so be it. For too long this has been happening to Munsterfans .

Comment

Originally posted by Red_langer1977
                    @@@@SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; COLOR: #4a4a4a; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Whatis the Munster Branch view on this, anything official?@@@@/SPAN>

Very strong worded protest http://www.munsterrugby.ie/19_510.php

Will not travel either.
                    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Nice letter, it was worth letting it known to the ERC.

BUT

Travelling from Cardiff to Leicester is obviously easier than from
                      Ireland to Geneva and it seems obvious that it should have been scheduled the other way around.

So be assured that fans comfort and satisfaction is
                      very obviously not the main factor here.

The broadcasters have used their absolute power to decide, so even if we nuke ERC offices in Dublin there is not a chance this is going to be moved...

I will be going anyway (planned a long time ago).

Comment

I'm amazed that the ERC decided to make such a fanfare about the game being held in Switzerland and then relegated it to this slot.

I know Sky calls the shots, but you'd think there'd be some sense of partnership there - or that if the ERC had had intimation of this they'd have made the game less high profile.

Best of luck to those travelling, but I really hope the place is deserted. At some point, the ERC have to learn that there is only so hard they can squeeze the fans and that Switzerland in January on a Sunday is a bridge too far.

There has to be some sense of viability built into their location planning. San Sebastian was a great example of what can be done with the right ingredients - this is a right royal f**k up.
                        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

But shouldn't we point out that so far all away pool games have been on a Sunday? Leicester, Cardiff and now Geneva.

Couldn't make it now anyway but come on, it's not just the fare over it's the days annual leave too

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud

Will not travel either.

Very weak protest.

If it was Blanco having a cut off the ERC it would be a lot stronger than that.

As Socks says as travelling supporters were are far down everyones (excluding the hardworking MRSC)list of priorities. They pay us lip service and little else.

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud
                              @@@@SPAN style="font-size: 8.5pt; color: rgb(74, 74, 74); font-family: Verdana;">Whatis the Munster Branch view on this, anything official?@@@@/SPAN>

Will not travel either.
                              Fair play to the branch for that. I know some people will say they should do more or whatever but even expressing those sentiments publicly is a step in the right direction
                              Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Working...
                              X