• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Dermot G
    Originally posted by Balla Boy

Don't know how far that stacks up re: Scarlets, DG. What killed them was their error rate - you could point to three or four knock ons on presentation errors that cost them dearly.

If they'd had the accuracy, I think they'd have won.

Yes, handling errors hurt us, but I thought we could have played more a power game and worn them down.

Their back row won the battle at the breakdown, and injuries to MOD and Wally took away what should have been our key advantage. Perhaps they shouldn't have played?

Contrast Goodbunny's performances. He was excellent in the 1/4 final, but was absolutely hammered on Sat. He was fortunate not to have gotten a yellow.

I meant Tigers/Scarlets on Saturday - knock ons from Popham and Easterby at crucial points in good positions cost them. They were blasted off of it at the breakown, but if the ball had stuck on a couple of occassions they could have won in spite of it.

Point being that the pack battering away may be enough to grind out most wins, but it's just not going to generate the points margins that make you safe. For my money, Leicester should have lost on Saturday. Llanelli gave them the game with handling errors at key points in the match.

All of Munsters best performances over the last couple of seasons have combined powerful pack play with effective direct running in the backs - SF in TP, Castres away, Glaws, Sale, last year's semi - whenever our backs don't click we look very limited.

Chuck into that the absence of a reliable line out put in for much of the season (for a variety of reasons) and the need to try different avenues this year became even clearer.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Balla Boy

Don't know how far that stacks up re: Scarlets, DG. What killed them was their error rate - you could point to three or four knock ons on presentation errors that cost them dearly.

Yes, handling errors hurt us, but I thought we could have played more a power game and worn them down.

Their back row won the battle at the breakdown, and injuries to MOD and Wally took away what should have been our key advantage. Perhaps they shouldn't have played?

Contrast Goodbunny's performances. He was excellent in the 1/4 final, but was absolutely hammered on Sat. He was fortunate not to have gotten a yellow.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Dave Cahill

Llanelli - Flowery back play

Munster - Flowery spuds

Result?
    Better team on the night won Dave. Exactly as was the

case on Saturday.

I agree, for a team to maintain a level of success, they must be capable

of the horticultural as well as the agricultural!
    Yes, although the agricultural must come first. The bludgeon if strong enough will always nullify the rapier, however sharp.

That's why your lot need to be more dominant up front, and ours need to spin only the better ball I reckon.

Running for fun will get you nowhere ultimately, as Llanelli found out. They had plenty of ball to win that game. Tigers just lined them up, forced them laterally across the pitch and then just skittled them down.

Leave a comment:

• Fullback
    replied
    Size is everything.....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Upfront_1979
    really? how come none of the analysts for any of the other teams figured out a way to stop them. they attack from everywhere, forwards and backs running good lines and all with good hands. Their ability to get quick ball is amazing and their set pieces were strong. what more do you want?
    I agree. They were miles ahead of any other team in the tournament. Way more physically developed. 22stone prop anyone? Some of them were monsters for U19's.

With that kind of power advantage you can play pretty much any way you want and still win.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Cahill
    replied
    Munster - Flowery spuds

Result?
    Better team on the night won Dave. Exactly as was the
    case on Saturday.
    I agree, for a team to maintain a level of success, they must be capable
    of the horticultural as well as the agricultural!

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied

I don't think anyone has suggested that we need flowery back play. But we unquestionably need as many options as we can muster in attack.

We saw this year against both Llanelli and Leicester that our pack is not unstoppable.

We have been guilty of going wide too fast with no particular purpose this year.

But last year it was our ability to put width on the ball that did for both Castres away and Sale at home.

We need to be able to mix things up - all the best teams in Europe can.

The pack will always be the focus, but we can't hold too tight to a structure where we need twice as much possession as other teams to score points.

Leave a comment:

• Upfront_1979
    replied
    really? how come none of the analysts for any of the other teams figured out a way to stop them. they attack from everywhere, forwards and backs running good lines and all with good hands. Their ability to get quick ball is amazing and their set pieces were strong. what more do you want?

Leave a comment:

• RobbieG
    replied

Originally posted by Upfront_1979
    watch the All black U19's. Thats the way to play.
    No it's not, any sort of analysis would tell you that

Leave a comment:

• Upfront_1979
    replied
    watch the All black U19's. Thats the way to play.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Munster - Flowery spuds

Result?
    Better team on the night won Dave. Exactly as was the case on Saturday.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Rabeni too. Gibson is a ballet dancer btw[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• Dave Cahill
    replied
    Munster - Flowery spuds

Result?

Leave a comment:

• joeglum
    replied