No announcement yet.

Pro 14 2018/19 Season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m delighted with the SA teams joining the PRo14, although i wish both were competitive- however, it would be crazy to put the final there. Only huge money in which all shared would justify it, otherwise it’s just crazy from a fans point of view, even if one SA team were to reach the final- (somewhere close to zero chance).

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
      I’m delighted with the SA teams joining the PRo14, although i wish both were competitive- however, it would be crazy to put the final there. Only huge money in which all shared would justify it, otherwise it’s just crazy from a fans point of view, even if one SA team were to reach the final- (somewhere close to zero chance).
      If the league wish to continue the destination final concept - options are limited if you rule out South Africa. Ireland has had it multiple times, the Scots are getting for a 2nd time this season. The Welsh have zero interest (make more cash from monster trucks!). That leaves our Italian cousins - Milan maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by neill_m View Post

If the league wish to continue the destination final concept - options are limited if you rule out South Africa. Ireland has had it multiple times, the Scots are getting for a 2nd time this season. The Welsh have zero interest (make more cash from monster trucks!). That leaves our Italian cousins - Milan maybe?
        Italy would at least be closer for the fans of those likely to be in the final.

Comment

I put this into the Super Rugby thread, but it also could have an effect on the Pro14 and Heineken Cup, if more SA teams come on board.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...20-p515tj.html

The Sunwolves have been jettisoned from Super Rugby after four years in the competition.

The Japanese team was expected to be informed of their fate via phone hook-up on Wednesday afternoon.

In a plan first revealed by the Herald last year, Super Rugby will return to a round-robin format with 14 teams.

The SANZAAR partners Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Argentina will not announce the changes formally until Friday, according to a statement.

But it is understood the competition in its current format will run its course for the term of the broadcast deal, meaning 2020 will be the Sunwolves' final season.

The move will be a blow to Australia's Super Rugby franchises, who saw the Sunwolves' ongoing involvement as integral to the commercial growth of their businesses and the wider game in Australia.

It will also be widely criticised given the timing. This year Japan will host the Rugby World Cup, the first time the event will be held in Asia.

South Africa are widely acknowledged to have led the charge to have the team axed, given the increased travel burden on its teams. SA Rugby holds considerable sway around the SANZAAR negotiating table given their partner broadcaster Super Sport generate the most revenue to the Super Rugby and Rugby Championship broadcast deal.
          He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

The New Super 14 is due to start in 2021 if the reports of the Sunwolves demise are accurate. Talk of return to a round robin format of presumably 26 or 13 games. Currently the season is 16 games.

From a Pro 14 pov, this could mean it stays as is and there is no expansion to a Pro 16 with the 2 of the Bulls/Lions/Sharks/Stormers heading North. The South African sides would still have to travel to Argentina/Australia/New Zealand, would cutting one trip per season to Japan/Singapore make that much difference?

Comment

So will the Sunwolves join the Pro15 in 2021?

Comment

Possibly 1 less Welsh team.
                ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Working...
                X