Summer 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer 2018

This is the first summer I am feeling positive about next year... Since 2008...

I missed the game last night.. I watched Deadpool 2. Amazing movie, insanely funny at times..

I'm sad that munster lost, the final score cheered me up and now I'm ok with life... [emoji23]
    I think munster will be bunch of lunatics next year... and Peter will win some silverware..

If I had a wish, it would be that Jack mcgrath, tadhg furlong would move south west and Tyler would be injury free (I hope that's the case anyway)..
    I reckon Calvin Nash is gonna be a superstar no matter how much people take the mick out of his name.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
    This is the first summer I am feeling positive about next year... Since 2008...

I missed the game last night.. I watched Deadpool 2. Amazing movie, insanely funny at times..

I'm sad that munster lost, the final score cheered me up and now I'm ok with life... [emoji23]
    I think munster will be bunch of lunatics next year... and Peter will win some silverware..

If I had a wish, it would be that Jack mcgrath, tadhg furlong would move south west and Tyler would be injury free (I hope that's the case anyway)..
    I reckon Calvin Nash is gonna be a superstar no matter how much people take the mick out of his name.

My wish for the new season: a fully fit Tyler with a fully fit Johnston as his back up.

In fact, fewer injuries to key players across the board, especially towards the end of the season.

Comment

I thought Keatley did very well off the bench yesterday and really added to the attack.

Anyway, I'm optimistic too. The players that came in to address last season's deficiencies were out injured at a critical part of the season. Bad luck. We're better than we were last season and can go one better again next season.
      Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

People talk about munster bridging the gap to leinster very soon.. I'm not sure I can explain it right, but probably what will happen, is leinster will stop performing so well..
        You look back over the last 20 years, you can see teams that outperform. Everyone else,..
        Toulouse, Leicester, wasps, munster, leinster, Toulon, saracens, leinster..

All these teams were standout performers, awesome to watch, obviously everyone else has to play better, but at the time, the teams named above were performing at a, level no one else in Europe could compete with.

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Well I hope we have a non interrupted season next season in terms of management-really need some stability
          Those players have had to contend with an awful lot these past two years

Comment

I think if we are to close the gap we need to add some serious beef to our pack. Think we need a beast of a THP. Maybe Knox will fit the bill. Tough one to sign though. Du Toit fitted the description. Wonder if we could tempt him back. 5 years is a long time for a project player though. Unless for some reason his 6 months or so would somehow exempt him.

We also need a stable fly half. Still hope it could be TB but I think at this stage unless he can go next season relatively injury free we probably will have to look else where. I’d also be fearful regarding second row, if Klyen was to get injured we’d be in trouble. We need another bulky second row option there as well.

At times over the last few seasons I don’t think we have the physicality to match the best sides in Europe. And I just can’t see us closing the gap unless somehow we unearth a few quality sh*tehouses. Because at the moment we only have a few in that category unless I forgetting someone, really only Klyen, Stander, Cronin, Farrell, Taute and Cloete. And perhaps a few of them are generous.

We’re being driven back whilst attacking and while putting in tackles yesterday, Leinster were making the yards through there greater power. We’re getting flustered, trying to force things and then making poor decisions. Same happened against Saracens a year ago.
            Last edited by KerryRed; 20th-May-2018, 21:34.
            "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Get backs passing the ball at speed for the whole summer. It's badly needed.
              He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

We made an important 'new signing' this season, though he has been here a while - I'm posting about the admirable Sam Arnold of course. What an inspiration to the younger generation of whom many of us ask 'but are they ready yet or still too young'? Sam is the same age or slightly younger than Goggin, Wooton and Fitzgerald. Can they, and younger lads again like BillJo, Nash and even Mccarthy, work as hard as he has? Saw him at end of season UBL relegation play-off at Dooradoyle April 2017, where he looked handy but not outstanding - 8 months later he more than filled the sudden centre gap in RCC matches and did very well. Judging by his shape and physicality, he worked damn hard in the interim and seized his opportunity. He is now an established, proven player, who at 22/23 can only get better. He made try-saving tackles against both Toulon and Leinster, and showed serious pace in chasing down Lowe. For me, it's Sam/Scannell for 12, and Taute/Farrell for 13. I'm being serious when I say that an injury to Bundee or Henshaw, and Sam is more Uncle Joe's type than Scannell.
                Most of all, I love his balls-out, brave, true Munster heart.

We are just emerging from an extended period of flux and uncertainty, both on and off the field.
                On field, from the Twilight of the Gods seeing POC, DOC, Wally, ROG, Leamy, Stringer, Warwick, Quinlan, Fla, Hayes and other gods of the Noughties leave, to a changed squad today. We lost Fla and Leamy, even TOL, in their prime with lots more to give. It is easy to forget that Donn Ryan missed more through injury than he played. Arguably Cawlin left early.
                Off the field, in 6 years, we've gone from the RP/Mannix game plan to the unfortunate Axel on his own (who was without POC, Donn Ryan, Tyler and POM for a lot of his time), to the Rassie/Nienaber period (when Rassie has to abandon his DOR development role to become head coach), to JVG.

Coaching stability is welcome, and we cannot IMHO pass any assessment on JVG until he (and Ferreira) have a proper pre-season, and time with the players while not under incessant grinding pressure.
                Wishful thinking, but I'd love to see us try to repatriate Mike Prendergast for his experience, and as a native son (surely IRFU must be interested in Irish-native coaching development?). Or are we looking to appoint a DOR?

IMO, Uncle Joe must be looking at James Cronin v McGrath, and this creates opportunities for the promising Liam O'Connor and maybe Loughman in this RWC season. Similarly, the absence of CJ, POM and probably Beirne creates openings for Sean O'Connor, Finneen Wycherley, G Coombes, allied to more experienced men like Oliver, Cloete, Botha, and Jacko. John Ryan will be away at Camp Joe, and Parker can continue to develop, along with the vastly improved Archer. The emergence of Ryan and Archer as credible, if not amazing, THPs has saved us a fortune which we can put elsewhere. BJ was probably our best paid man because we has nothin at THP.
                The absence of Earls, Conway and Murray for national duty creates openings for the lads listed above, along with new signing Haley, and a Hart who realises the form shown in Top 14.
                Can they do 'a Sam' and seize the opportunity?

A huge improvement in skills development is vital, from tackling technique to running lines, to passing. With Zebo gone and oftentimes problematic placekicking, we can not only depend on occasional magic and keeping the scoreboard ticking over with penalties. We need a more multi-faceted (copyright Cooder!), structured, sustained attacking strategy, into which players can easily slot no matter what unavailability issues we may have. Hopefully, Tyler recovers fully, as well as JJ, and Hart realises his potential.

As Luka Bloom sings, 'Everything is possible in Gods time, but nothing is for sure' - I remain cautiously optimistic. Make winning Pro 14 a target, and see where RCC takes us.
                Last edited by isola ciarrai; 21st-May-2018, 11:54.

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post
                  Get backs passing the ball at speed for the whole summer. It's badly needed.
                  And forwards also - it was the main difference Saturday, with our errors and inaccuracy at crucial moments

Comment

Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post
                    And forwards also - it was the main difference Saturday, with our errors and inaccuracy at crucial moments
                    It was a big difference. But we lost against a a hungover week Leinster team who played poorly. I still cant get over how we managed to lose that game.
                    Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor View Post
                      It was a big difference. But we lost against a a hungover week Leinster team who played poorly. I still cant get over how we managed to lose that game.
                      And a lot of those passes are simple, short pops to men at pace: they haven't reinvented the wheel. But very deflating result.

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor View Post
                        Would you stop with the "hungover" bit. They weren't on the lash the night before ffs. They were focused on doing the double all week and you could see that in how they started. And yes, they were down a few choice players but we were missing a rake of them too. Both teams made a lot of errors, as did the ref.

On the evidence of that game we're behind them (like every other team in Europe), but not as far as some people think.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                          Would you stop with the "hungover" bit. They weren't on the lash the night before ffs. They were focused on doing the double all week and you could see that in how they started. And yes, they were down a few choice players but we were missing a rake of them too. Both teams made a lot of errors, as did the ref.

On the evidence of that game we're behind them (like every other team in Europe), but not as far as some people think.
                          That’s a fair assessment [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Best of luck, and a restful, productive Summer to all our men having procedures and rehabbing from long-term injuries - Chris Farrell, Jaco Taute, TOD, Cloete, Rhys, Jean Kleyn, Jacko, and wishing them all an injury-free start to 2018/2019, along with those carrying chronic strains etc, like JJ, Keats etc.
                            Welcome to Mike Haley, Arno Botha and maybe some others.
                            Farewell to the legend Simon Zebo, and best of luck, in setting Top 14 and Europe on fire (unless you meet us).
                            BTW, with Donn Ryan and now Zebo at Racing, we'll surely have them in our group again.

Most of all, rest and recover from 6 crazy, intense months here, JVG and JPF. And you thought Boks fans were demanding?

Comment

Would take Cronin over McGrath every day of the week presently

Comment

Working...
                              X