X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stringer9
    started a topic Players Mental health & Keyboard warriors

Players Mental health & Keyboard warriors

Probably not the right place to post this but anyway..

Nick De Luca has spoken openly about how mental health should be approached with as much attention as getting the players physically ready. He spoke about how the incredible amount of pressure they are under takes it's toll.

It's a sad read really..

Mental health in rugby: Nick De Luca calls for more action to help 'struggling' players

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/42558254

Here's an extract that may be appropriate for some on here to read..

He added: “As rugby players we are so lucky, we get to do what we love for a good amount of money, but we’re in such negative environments.

“Everybody is so hard on themselves. They need a little support and someone who is actually a professional to come in and help them, as opposed to relying on their peers.”

He spoke about how he deleted his Twitter account because he ‘couldn’t cope with the abuse’ and how he played a Test match ‘without sleeping a wink – zero hours’ sleep’ the night before with pressure.

“I’m lucky that I’ve never had a mental illness, but I have had poor mental health and there are plenty of us (in professional rugby)” he added.

“I’ve struggled to go to work and enjoy my job for Scotland or Edinburgh, and that was due to not having the knowledge or support around me.
    “Little things like throwaway comments, or even the way journalists write about you or rate you can really have a detrimental effect.

People..keyboard warriors.. think they can say whatever they want and because there is some level of anonymity online, that it's completely fine to hurl abuse at them.

To be clear I have no issue with people being critical of players, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, (though once the match is over I can't see what good it does continually having a go at them with endless negative comments, but each to their own) but there's a line you shouldn't cross.
    Constant never ending negative comments, some that people try and pass off as humour and joking, it takes it's toll.
    Some go as far as tagging players in their comments on Twitter, doing their upmost for a player to see the abuse aimed at them, worse is some people seem to enjoy having a go at players when they play poorly. In all reality if a player has had a poor game, they really don't need a reminder.

The sad reality of modern day rugby.
    Last edited by Stringer9; 6th-January-2018, 00:17.

• lawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by Dougie View Post
    I agree, and I'd also say that people who choose to live in caves with no communication with anyone else have no problems at all with people abusing them. Maybe there's something to be said for moving the training base to the Ailwee caves?

Good idea, then we can have a cork limerick Clare debate

Leave a comment:

• Dougie
    replied
    Originally posted by lawrence View Post
    Players are on Social media either because they have a massive EGO that needs stroking or because they make money from it directly or looking to create/ enhance a public profile to give them opportunities for income when they retire.

If they are not able to take or ignore the criticism that is levelled at them through such direct means of contact by joe public then they 100% should get off Social media. Im not sure what people in such positions expect when they open themselves to contact through platforms such as Twitter / IG etc.

Nobody is saying that the abuse is ok, but the people who take the Steve Finnan approach are not having any such problems (http://www.the42.ie/steve-finnan-mys...16144-May2015/)

ROG and plenty of other Irish rugby players avoided social media until he was close to retirement, and he has used it effectively since.
    I agree, and I'd also say that people who choose to live in caves with no communication with anyone else have no problems at all with people abusing them. Maybe there's something to be said for moving the training base to the Ailwee caves?

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Yea loads you wanna buy them?

Leave a comment:

• Dougie
    replied
    I never understand (well I do it’s for money, and they can’t have their cake) why pro sports people have twitter, people who are abusing them are more often than not after losing money gambling, which is as big if not a bigger problem with modern sports.
    Do you have any studies to back this up?

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
    You really don't get it.

Comparing Rog who is my age just reinforces the point

Which point?

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post
    i'd agree with most of that. I can't agree with the first part though.

It's much more likely that players are on social media because they're people and that's what people do - communicate.

Expecting everybody to behave in a responsible manner on t'internet is incredibly naive, so best advice is probably just not read the comments...

Its possible to be on Social media and not on it. BOD said that in his playing days he used a fake name to connect with friends and avoid the public, but now he uses it to further his “brand”

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    Players are on Social media either because they have a massive EGO that needs stroking or because they make money from it directly or looking to create/ enhance a public profile to give them opportunities for income when they retire.

If they are not able to take or ignore the criticism that is levelled at them through such direct means of contact by joe public then they 100% should get off Social media. Im not sure what people in such positions expect when they open themselves to contact through platforms such as Twitter / IG etc.

Nobody is saying that the abuse is ok, but the people who take the Steve Finnan approach are not having any such problems (http://www.the42.ie/steve-finnan-mys...16144-May2015/)

ROG and plenty of other Irish rugby players avoided social media until he was close to retirement, and he has used it effectively since.
    i'd agree with most of that. I can't agree with the first part though.

It's much more likely that players are on social media because they're people and that's what people do - communicate.

Expecting everybody to behave in a responsible manner on t'internet is incredibly naive, so best advice is probably just not read the comments...

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied
    Originally posted by cornerboy View Post
    Reading through the posts Im hearing......players should get off social media, delete twitter accounts, how much do they earn anyway. Would expect more condemnation. Thats all.
    If you tell your kids not to talk to strangers, does that mean you’re siding with child abusers?

Leave a comment:

• Upfront_1979
    replied
    You really don't get it.

Comparing Rog who is my age just reinforces the point

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Reading through the posts Im hearing......players should get off social media, delete twitter accounts, how much do they earn anyway. Would expect more condemnation. Thats all.

Leave a comment:

• cornerboy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Im surprised how many posters seem to be siding with the abusers.......strange world.

Like who?

Leave a comment:

• cornerboy
    replied
    Im surprised how many posters seem to be siding with the abusers.......strange world.

Leave a comment:

• lawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
    Try telling that to a teenager. I don't disagree with you but I'm nearly 40. We don't live in the same world

We live in the same world alright, but connect to it in different ways.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X