Players Mental health & Keyboard warriors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
    So rather than expect people not to be dickheads sports players should stay off social media? That's such an old persons point of view. Like or loathe it social media is just as much part of life now as real life. Expecting a 20 something year old to voluntarily exile themseelves from the world is frankly ridiculous

the world is a tad bigger than social media.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
      the world is a tad bigger than social media.
      Try telling that to a teenager. I don't disagree with you but I'm nearly 40. We don't live in the same world
      The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
      - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Try telling that to a teenager. I don't disagree with you but I'm nearly 40. We don't live in the same world

We live in the same world alright, but connect to it in different ways.

Comment

Im surprised how many posters seem to be siding with the abusers.......strange world.
          Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post
            Im surprised how many posters seem to be siding with the abusers.......strange world.

Like who?

Comment

Reading through the posts Im hearing......players should get off social media, delete twitter accounts, how much do they earn anyway. Would expect more condemnation. Thats all.
              Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Reading through the posts Im hearing......players should get off social media, delete twitter accounts, how much do they earn anyway. Would expect more condemnation. Thats all.

Players are on Social media either because they have a massive EGO that needs stroking or because they make money from it directly or looking to create/ enhance a public profile to give them opportunities for income when they retire.

If they are not able to take or ignore the criticism that is levelled at them through such direct means of contact by joe public then they 100% should get off Social media. Im not sure what people in such positions expect when they open themselves to contact through platforms such as Twitter / IG etc.

Nobody is saying that the abuse is ok, but the people who take the Steve Finnan approach are not having any such problems (http://www.the42.ie/steve-finnan-mys...16144-May2015/)

ROG and plenty of other Irish rugby players avoided social media until he was close to retirement, and he has used it effectively since.

Comment

You really don't get it.

Comparing Rog who is my age just reinforces the point
                  The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                  - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

If you tell your kids not to talk to strangers, does that mean you’re siding with child abusers?

Comment

Players are on Social media either because they have a massive EGO that needs stroking or because they make money from it directly or looking to create/ enhance a public profile to give them opportunities for income when they retire.

If they are not able to take or ignore the criticism that is levelled at them through such direct means of contact by joe public then they 100% should get off Social media. Im not sure what people in such positions expect when they open themselves to contact through platforms such as Twitter / IG etc.

Nobody is saying that the abuse is ok, but the people who take the Steve Finnan approach are not having any such problems (http://www.the42.ie/steve-finnan-mys...16144-May2015/)

ROG and plenty of other Irish rugby players avoided social media until he was close to retirement, and he has used it effectively since.
                      i'd agree with most of that. I can't agree with the first part though.

It's much more likely that players are on social media because they're people and that's what people do - communicate.

Expecting everybody to behave in a responsible manner on t'internet is incredibly naive, so best advice is probably just not read the comments...
                      Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post
                        i'd agree with most of that. I can't agree with the first part though.

It's much more likely that players are on social media because they're people and that's what people do - communicate.

Expecting everybody to behave in a responsible manner on t'internet is incredibly naive, so best advice is probably just not read the comments...

Its possible to be on Social media and not on it. BOD said that in his playing days he used a fake name to connect with friends and avoid the public, but now he uses it to further his “brand”

Comment

You really don't get it.

Comparing Rog who is my age just reinforces the point

Which point?

Comment

I never understand (well I do it’s for money, and they can’t have their cake) why pro sports people have twitter, people who are abusing them are more often than not after losing money gambling, which is as big if not a bigger problem with modern sports.
                            Do you have any studies to back this up?

Comment

Yea loads you wanna buy them?

Comment

I agree, and I'd also say that people who choose to live in caves with no communication with anyone else have no problems at all with people abusing them. Maybe there's something to be said for moving the training base to the Ailwee caves?

Comment

Working...
                                X