Players Mental health & Keyboard warriors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Players Mental health & Keyboard warriors

Probably not the right place to post this but anyway..

Nick De Luca has spoken openly about how mental health should be approached with as much attention as getting the players physically ready. He spoke about how the incredible amount of pressure they are under takes it's toll.

It's a sad read really..

Mental health in rugby: Nick De Luca calls for more action to help 'struggling' players

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/42558254

Here's an extract that may be appropriate for some on here to read..

He added: “As rugby players we are so lucky, we get to do what we love for a good amount of money, but we’re in such negative environments.

“Everybody is so hard on themselves. They need a little support and someone who is actually a professional to come in and help them, as opposed to relying on their peers.”

He spoke about how he deleted his Twitter account because he ‘couldn’t cope with the abuse’ and how he played a Test match ‘without sleeping a wink – zero hours’ sleep’ the night before with pressure.

“I’m lucky that I’ve never had a mental illness, but I have had poor mental health and there are plenty of us (in professional rugby)” he added.

“I’ve struggled to go to work and enjoy my job for Scotland or Edinburgh, and that was due to not having the knowledge or support around me.
    “Little things like throwaway comments, or even the way journalists write about you or rate you can really have a detrimental effect.

People..keyboard warriors.. think they can say whatever they want and because there is some level of anonymity online, that it's completely fine to hurl abuse at them.

To be clear I have no issue with people being critical of players, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, (though once the match is over I can't see what good it does continually having a go at them with endless negative comments, but each to their own) but there's a line you shouldn't cross.
    Constant never ending negative comments, some that people try and pass off as humour and joking, it takes it's toll.
    Some go as far as tagging players in their comments on Twitter, doing their upmost for a player to see the abuse aimed at them, worse is some people seem to enjoy having a go at players when they play poorly. In all reality if a player has had a poor game, they really don't need a reminder.

The sad reality of modern day rugby.
    Last edited by Stringer9; 6th-January-2018, 01:17.
    The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Not really on topic either but I always hated seeing other coaches/ patents shouting at kids when they make a mistake. They were always the 1st ones to know they had done something wrong and adults shouting " wtf was that" or "ffs johnny" is of no benefit / detrimental to players / kids....

Ruairi

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

The young Everton player involved in a controversial incident last night deleted his twitter account minutes after the match according to a newspaper report I read.
      I suppose that his phone was lighting up with notifications.
      Players should make a resolution to stay off social media rather than go complaining about the negative remarks there.
      Last edited by Fantom; 6th-January-2018, 09:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantom View Post
        The young Everton player involved in a controversial incident last night deleted his twitter account minutes after the match according to a newspaper report I read.
        I suppose that his phone was lighting up with notifications.
        Players should make a resolution to stay off social media rather than go complaining about the negative remarks there.
        I understand (admittedly according to a Liverpool fans forum) Liverpool fans found old tweets that made him look less than savory and they started sharing them.
        It was only then he deleted his twitter account.
        I'm sure he got abuse from a lot too. Most sports people should avoid twitter as they leave themselves so open to abuse after any controversial incident in a game/match/event.
        Life is good

Comment

So rather than expect people not to be dickheads sports players should stay off social media? That's such an old persons point of view. Like or loathe it social media is just as much part of life now as real life. Expecting a 20 something year old to voluntarily exile themselves from the world is frankly ridiculous
          The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
          - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
            So rather than expect people not to be dickheads sports players should stay off social media? That's such an old persons point of view. Like or loathe it social media is just as much part of life now as real life. Expecting a 20 something year old to voluntarily exile themselves from the world is frankly ridiculous
            Well then they will need to learn to be pretty thick skinned and quickly because they will be abused by opposition fans and their own teams fans at times.
            Some of the abuse on twitter is unbelievable. Shearer got lit up last night for saying the penalty wasn't one in the BBC commentary (to give one example). Abuse about his wife and kids I might add because of an opinion.
            Life is good

Comment

Not as ridiculous as expecting everyone on social media to be nice (your definition of which doesn't exclude being ageist).

Comment

Ah the poor thing, how much money is he on? Hope he isn't struggling,

Comment

Having money doesn't make you immune to mental health issues
                  "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Not being on social media is exiling oneself from the world, Jaysus! I never had a Twitter or Facebook account and never felt like I was missing out on anything. Personal view and completely understand why so many people like it but can also understand why a lot of people couldn’t be ars@d.

I think my is totally person specific as to whether a professional or amateur player should have a social media presence. I would suspect someone like Zebo would be lost without it whereas I think someone like Duncan Williams probably would benefit from shunning it as it seems to get to him. People can be unduly nasty online - if it bugs you stay away, if you couldn’t care less get involved and enjoy the back and forth.

Obviously it goes without saying that irrespective of what i said above, people should really not go over the top when commenting on people irrespective of whether it is in person or online. Everyone is entitled to a view but you are not entitled to be an ass (not aimed at anybody using the “royal” you!)....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                      Having money doesn't make you immune to mental health issues
                      Completely true but that would be a problem weather he was a rugby player, a teacher, a brick layer. Im not promoting criticism as some of it is really vile but its part of the job, need to enjoy the high's of representing you're country and club and making a living out of the sport because their are low's also just like in everything you do in life. Now this is unless the abuse is directed toward's family just because you dislike how the player played, that is totally uncalled for and must be dealt with like racism to name another.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantom View Post
                        Not as ridiculous as expecting everyone on social media to be nice (your definition of which doesn't exclude being ageist).
                        I said don't be a ****, not be nice. No excuse for people not behaving on social media as they would face to face.

Comment

I said don't be a ****, not be nice. No excuse for people not behaving on social media as they would face to face.
                          There's documented evidence of people saying nasty things under the cloak of anonymity at least as far back as ancient Rome (and its graffiti). It's human nature and no amount of pious aspirations will make it away no matter how unacceptable it is to you.

Comment

Pious?

You're some craic

Comment

I never understand (well I do it’s for money, and they can’t have their cake) why pro sports people have twitter, people who are abusing them are more often than not after losing money gambling, which is as big if not a bigger problem with modern sports.

Comment

Working...
                              X