Fla rips into Quinny

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fla rips into Quinny

Speaking on Sportsjoe.ie podcast The Hard Yards, Jerry Flannery launched a stinging attack on his former team mate Alan Quinlan. Flannery was reacting to Quinlan's criticism of Munster's recent performance v Zebre. Quinlan was covering the game for Sky Sports.

Here's an extract from Flannery's remarks:-

"It didn't seem like he had because when people relayed the comments back to me, I just went, 'This doesn't make sense'.

"I understand that people will come out and give their opinion but their opinion should be based on something. If it's not based on preparation, well then they're actually not doing their job and they
    should not be getting paid for it, in my opinion.
    "Like, if I don't do my work as a coach I'm going to get sacked.
    "If, for instance, Sky think that it's deemed credible that if someone has just played for a club that they can go out and just give their opinion without doing any work, well, they're kind of cheating the viewers. People are paying for their subscription to watch it and they want to get some sort of analysis or... if they're not getting it then there is a breakdown there."
    Flannery insisted this was not a personal attack and acknowledged Quinlan was called up late to cover the game. But couldn’t resist a parting jibe about Quinlan’s other TV work.
    Flannery said: "Look, sometimes it can be irritating when guys that were part of the club are doing that, you know. I don't know whether they see it as sort of an attachment to their time at the club or don't want to see the club move forward because then they're not seen in the same standing that they might have been... but that's a poor mindset to have, for my opinion."
    "But, look, Quinny was very good on Ireland's Fittest Family. He's good at that stuff."

This is quite shocking IMO.

Fla has accused Quinny of being unprofessional in not doing his preparation work. He's accused him of not wishing Munster well as new success might reduce his standing. He also seems to suggest that coaching on Ireland's Fittest Family is Quinn's level as a coach. This is way OTT, IMO.

I'd say some of this goes back to Quinny's criticism of the poor performance v Racing, a few years back. However, Quinny said what many supporters thought then.

When teams perform below standard, they will be criticised by pundits and the media. Coaches and players must now accept it goes with the territory. They have to 'suck it up' and just work harder.

I like Quinny and Fla but I think that Fla has come out of this looking a bit petulant. What do BM's think ?
    Last edited by The Yak; 11th-December-2017, 08:01.

Sportsjoe is part owned by Fla.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Fla went a bit too far but does have a point.

Comment

That's fair harsh.
        forti et fideli nihil difficile

Comment

Originally posted by Munstersrebel View Post
          Fla went a bit too far but does have a point.
          That's putting it mildly.

He said that Quinny hadn't done his preparation, adding that if he (Fla) didn't do his work properly, he'd be fired. How could he know what preparation Quinny had done or needed to do. He know the Munster Players, how they play and can see whether that are at the right level.

He also said that Quinny had an agenda - didn't want Munster to succeed as it would overshadow his own achievements. That kind of remark is not on. I disagree 100% with it. Quinny would love to see Munster succeed.

He also ridiculed him for being a coach on Ireland's fittest family. He should remember that Donncha is on the show this season.

From what I've seen of Van Graam so far, I don't think he'll endorse Fla on this.

I actually don't think he had a point either. Quinny is paid to give his opinion and he does it very well IMO.

Comment

What were the comments made by Quinny just for context?
            If they were just lazy and ill informed blather that in fairness most pundits come out with then fair enough.There are an awful lot of Munster "legends" dining out on the merry go round at this stage. Personally I'm tired of the stories of Gaillimh Claw and all the boys, we get it ye were great craic and it had it's time but lets move on a bit.
            These lads now are ultra professional and hard working and the coaching matches that, having ex-players comparing it to there days with rose tinted glasses is a bit hard to take.
            Last edited by Username; 11th-December-2017, 10:51.

Comment

Maybe a bit harsh, but Quinne has taken the soup by his career choice, as has the likes of BOD, Luke Fitz, etc. Wouldn't hold anything against them for it, but wouldn't hold them in the same esteem as guys who go back into the game.
              "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

The point for me was AQ has no longer a clear idea how the Province is run. Also he received the call at the last minute so his preps weren't up to date.

I would prefer they settled it in private over a few pints.

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post
                  Maybe a bit harsh, but Quinne has taken the soup by his career choice, as has the likes of BOD, Luke Fitz, etc. Wouldn't hold anything against them for it, but wouldn't hold them in the same esteem as guys who go back into the game.
                  How to judge RoG then? Having it both ways.

Comment

He addresses it from 59:00 lads. https://www.joe.ie/sport/flannery-mc...podcast-608872
                    forti et fideli nihil difficile

Comment

The point for me was AQ has no longer a clear idea how the Province is run. Also he received the call at the last minute so his preps weren't up to date.

I would prefer they settled it in private over a few pints.

I know that you are not necessarily agreeing with Fla's points but I don't buy them at all. Sure Quinny is gone from Munster for a while and coaching evolves. However, IMO, he's as well qualified as anyone. By Fra's criteria, only a recently retired lad could be a good pundit. And even if he was recently retired from one club, could he comment on the opponents. It's a silly point IMO.

As for his preparations - what's there to prepare. Maybe looks up the stats. How long can that take? I'd imagine Sky give out an info pack and I doubt that you need days to go through it. Quinny saw that Munster took the foot off the gas, were ill-disciplined and made a lot of unforced errors - he didn't need much preparation for that.

I think it's poor form for Fla to use a media platform to shout down criticism.

I totally agree that Fla should have made a call to Quinny and said how and why, he disagreed with him.

Sky will love this.

Comment

[QUOTE=The Yak;1733219
                        I think it's poor form for Fla to use a media platform to shout down criticism.

I totally agree that Fla should have made a call to Quinny and said how and why, he disagreed with him.

Sky will love this.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree

Comment

How to judge RoG then? Having it both ways.

Fla would be ok with ROG, if he hadn't poached ZEEBS LOL

Comment

Originally posted by The Yak View Post
                            Fla would be ok with ROG, if he hadn't poached ZEEBS LOL
                            Was zeebs poached or did zeebs contact RoG?

Comment

Flannery came across the worse after that. Hadn't noticed anything particularly out of order from Quinlan's assessment of the win in Zebre. They were disjointed in that game and he's paid to give his opinion. I would rather see an opinion like that than a jolly banter opinion that BT encourage pundits to portray. Flannery clearly has a ripe with Quinlan going back to that Stade Francais game a few seasons ago and should be more mature than to air it on a Joe.ie podcast.

Comment

Working...
                              X