Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish Rugby - where should we go from here ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish Rugby - where should we go from here ?

After a bad week for Irish sport, on and off the field, it’s time to reflect on where we go from here……

Given that any projected windfall from RWC 2023 is now gone, the IRFU & Provinces need to look forward with a keen eye on how to fund & grow Rugby in Ireland. I don’t see Ireland being in the mix for hosting a RWC until the 2031 hosting is up for grabs, and by then we will likely be competing with France (again !) and England, with the US/Canada and even Italy being possible contenders.

Given that Scotland & Wales, Italy, and Australia, all of whom we would have looked to as being sympathetic to our cause have chosen to favour others, we should now act to secure our own interests without giving favour to them.

1. Scrap the summer tour to Australia – give our squad a break from the endless touring cycle and instead concentrate on a programme of rest/repair and graduated build-up to season 2018/19 with Japan 2019 at the end of it.
    2. Engage with the RFU and Aviva Premiership with a view to all 4 provinces playing in the AP as soon as possible
    3. Leave the Pro14 – we don’t need them anymore

Any thoughts ?

The RFU option is a no go. The Irish model is the oppisite of theirs.

Canceling the Summer tour is an idea, but only if we replace it with a more lucrative option. I mean if we cancel ours, they will cancel ours... cuts both ways.

Comment

I think it's a very provocative thread and quite political too. I think maybe could we retain our provinces positions in the Pro14 without quite participating and meanwhile connect with England and the continence?
      Lastly, why cancel the trip to Oz when we've alrea forked out for the flights?
      Last edited by ustix; 17th-November-2017, 12:54.
      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Win everything
        The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
        - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

I would consider cancelling the Australian trip solely in order to prep for the WC, give an extended rest period to the players and go hell for leather to win the WC

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
          "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Any discussion of cancelling the trip to Australia next June is just bonkers. There is simply no way it will be called off.

Comment

+1.
              Bonkers
              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Irish rugby will hopefully pursue what is in the best interests of Irish rugby and the continued strengthening of the game here. I'd have been delighted if the RWC tournament had come our way, but I'm only mildly disappointed that it hasn't. I suppose it could be seen as somewhat akin to a lottery win - not worth investing a huge amount of emotional currency in it unless you turn out to be the winner. Adopting a truculent, vindictive manner towards other national unions seems somewhat self-defeating to me.
                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Three terrible ideas.

Comment

3 bad ideas....
                    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

I don't think 1 is an option, I think these Summer tours have so many quid pro quos about them that you cant be doing that without potentially losing out on any top tier nation coming the following November.

I think the 2 and 3 are fundamentally the same option, and are something I mentioned in the world cup thread.
                      Its not bonkers, and it would add significantly to the Aviva Premiership.

The last time that the pro 14 and premiership were up for discussion maybe 4 or 5 years ago, - the welsh kept flirting with the english about joining their league I think the anglo welsh cup was one of their offshoots. The English were not really interested in the Welsh who while traditional rivals didnt appear to be a high standard (in european sense). The idea of a "British" (!??) league was floated with the scots welsh english and ourselves. The expectation was that within a couple of years it would only be the Irish and the English in the top tier.

My memory (hazy) was that the English were effectively using the Welsh to screw us on other things (not least Europe) but would have been interested in any domestic league that could have included us.
                      Last edited by scotscor; 17th-November-2017, 14:59.
                      Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

I can never get my head around the sheen the AP has in some peoples view.

Its a muck league and with relegation a fear, was always a dogfight mindset, teams going out 'not to lose' rather than trying to win.

The Pro14 is no perfect model, but I would prefer it to watching Munster traipse across England playing limited sides whose only intention was staying in the top league.

Faraway hills are green
                        I am the million man.

Comment

The top 14 is not a great league, apart from the Irish and maybe Llanelli to an extent is there any side you really look forward to playing. There is something about the Ospreys and Glasgow, but its not in a fun way, and the others I couldnt give a fig about.

There are quite a few in the English league that you would have some measure of affection towards not least Glaws and Saints, with possibly only Saracens that you might have an issue with.
                          Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Saints??
                            The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                            - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

OK, my initial pose was a tad aggressive and definitely political. This past week will have clarified that professional sport (especially international Rugby) is very political - just ask the South Africans. It's no longer an option for us to remain quietly in the corner, awaiting the ocasional crumb from the top table, and plodding along in the Pro14.

On the field, Ireland is now ranked 4th in the world - that's truly excellent and reflects hard work by the present (and recent) squad of players & management. Off the field - well isn't is now pretty clear that we aren't taken seriously ?

While we choose not to master our own destiny, we will remain as a sideshow. Only by seizing opportunity, will we progress. NZ, SA and Australia acted boldly when the game went professional - that took balls. Bernard Laporte didn't succeed by holding back - it's about time that we started to behave with similar attitude !

I agree that the Aviva Premiership is a tad pompous, but wouldn't an Anglo-Irish league create a different buzz ? Surely, we aren't afraid of mixing it with the Brits ? I don't have any great love for them, but it was striking how England having promised their votes, kept their word and stuck by us.

The Scots were consistent - they can always be bought (and cheaply according to Longshanks !!); Wales are a basket case, and Italy were always going to stick with France - Treviso and Zebre will end up in French D2 soon enough. What benefit is it to Irish and Munster rugby by sticking with these ?

Comment

Working...
                              X