Time for a new Captain ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a new Captain ?

While it's difficult to find much good cheer in yesterday's display against Castres, I'd like to raise the question of whether we need a change of captain. Heresy, some will say !
    For what it's worth, I think the captaincy is too much for POM, and when he's out of sorts (as he surely was against Castres), it filters through to the rest of the team. Other than some good lineout takes, his influence on the game was minimal, and he reverted back to his 'hard chaw' impression ,grabbing jersies, arguing, and barging around without direction. No-one is impressed by that carry-on anymore, and I thought he had outgrown it - it looked 'cool' when he was young & impetous, but nowadays .............. get a life !
    I think if he were left to focus on his own game, he would be better for the team. It would also be easier for his coach (bet it Rassie or the new man) to advise him (and haul him ashore when he loses the plot).
    We are in need of better leadership on & off the field, a cool head when things aren't going our way, and a diplomat to engage with Referees - right now, POM doesn't offer any of these.
    I would opt for Conor Murray, with Billy H taking charge when the Internationals are absent.

What's the dog's name anyway?
    Last edited by ustix; 16th-October-2017, 16:45.
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Please god he'll be an ice-cool hard chaw again some day.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Please someone get POM to read that first post, 5 points guaranteed for our next game
        Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

Is this dog old?
          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
            Is this dog old?
            Give a dog a bone...
            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

JackDaniels has been quiet lately

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
              When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

"I would opt for Conor Murray, with Billy H taking charge when the Internationals are absent."

Conor is one of the most petulant members of the squad when on the pitch always involved in any disagreement not that I don't often think he's right.
                Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Leinster season ticket holder alert. Funny goy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ephileth View Post
                    Please someone get POM to read that first post, 5 points guaranteed for our next game
                    I thought the Reggie Corrigan interview guaranteed a response though?

Comment

Time for a new Captain ?

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                      I thought the Reggie Corrigan interview guaranteed a response though?
                      Reggie was out of order and it did deserve a response and he got it during the interview.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by bmacky; 17th-October-2017, 09:06.

Comment

While this is clearly a bit of a wind up, I did think we lacked leadership last weekend. There were times in attack when we really needed to slow down, take stock and stop flinging it around. Times in defence where it looked like we were struggling to decide how many bodies were supposed to be going in to compete.

Don't think it's an issue with POM as such. But I look at that front 8 and I don't see a lot of other leaders. Not the last time we'll say it this year, but we miss Ryan.

I'm old fashioned, but I'd like to see the pack in a huddle more often.
                        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Lads, this wasn't an attempt at a wind-up, and incidentally I'm a Munster season ticket holder, not a Dub !
                          I've followed Munster since the early '70's, so I do have a long track record of supporting them - the ManWithDog moniker comes from the days I stood on the terrace in Musgrave Park with my dog back in the pre-Health&Safety era !
                          I genuinely believe Munster isn't a happy camp right now, despite all the public proclaimations of togetherness, family, die for the jersey etc etc - remember "the longer the explaination, the bigger the lie". I'm not blaming all this on POM, but he is certainly a symptom, though not the main cause.
                          A lot of baggage & hard times have been dumped on this present squad over the past 18 months, and I believe there is now too much 'noise' in their lives off field, resulting in loss of focus on field. The shambolic mistakes that we saw on Sunday were not evidence of a focused, clear-headed group - it was like looking at a pre-season friendly, and only for the kindness of a poor Ref, Castres could have filleted us. I predict Castres won't win a game for the rest of the group, so where does that leave us ?
                          I would hope that Johann Van Graan bites the bullet immediately and instead of pussyfooting around, makes his statement early by shaking up our team with selection on current form and new voices.

Comment

Originally posted by ManWithDog View Post
                            I believe there is now too much 'noise' in their lives off field, resulting in loss of focus on field.
                            Can you elaborate or clarify what this viewpoint is about MWD?

Kinda reads like an open ended suggestion that you know more perhaps?
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Personally I don't for a moment doubt that Peter O'Mahoney is the player to lead Munster on the pitch.
                              Last edited by ustix; 17th-October-2017, 22:08.
                              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Working...
                              X