SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

I've read lots of nonsense regarding mafi and his potential as a winger.The fact is that he can play wing and has done so in the past; both for taranaki and for the 'canes.I stillthink his best position next year will be at12 but he can play anumber of positions and will be good utility cover; the kiwis tend to switch 3/4's aroundto suit their different needs andmafi got exposure to wing play in theSH.I mean the guy can run the 40 standard in under 4secs
    <H1 style="COLOR: #000000">Lively Lifemi set for the wing</H1>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD vAlign=top>By David Ogilvie

Ma’a Nonu has not been pushed out to the thinly covered Hurricanes wing position – despite the naming of another midfield back in Lifemi Mafi as Conrad Smith’s replacement for the rest of the Super 14.

Hurricanes back coach Murray Roulston said yesterday there was “no change” in their Nonu assessment – that he is a midfield back who can occasionally play on the wing.

Instead Mafi, the Taranaki midfielder who can cut the 40 metres standard in under 5sec, is considered quick enough to cover the Hurricanes wing position, and has been training there.

The other alternatives would have been Corey Jane - who could still make the Commonwealth Games sevens squad and therefore be unavailable for a number of weeks – or North Harbour wing Rudi Wolf, who is still injured.

</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD vAlign=top>
    <DIV align=center>
    <>
    <!-
    spac_writeAd('REGNZWCHR&#079;N','SPORT.STORY','300 x250');
    //->

< src="http://ads.apn.co.nz/j/SITE=REGNZWCHR&#079;N/AREA=SPORT.STORY/AAMSZ=300x250/acc_random=73900873/pageid=11860994">
    <NO></NO></DIV></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD vAlign=top>While Roulston did not rule out the use of Nonu as a wing, it seems likely that he and Tana Umaga will join together more often than not. When they don’t Tane Tuipolutu will probably play centre to either of these.

Smith is out of play for four months at least with a double break of the leg.

“We’re very lucky with the guys we’ve got – and Lifemi as well. They’re all up to playing on the wing,” Roulston said after a Hurricanes training session in which the best news was the fact that Umaga showed no signs of problems with an achilles problem.

“He got a sprig on an achilles in the Blues game, and it tightened-up quite quickly. But it’s settled pretty well and he should be able to play.

“Lifemi has played on the wing, and he’s been there at training for us quite often, so we’ve got no problems with that,” Roulston said.

“He’s very sharp, under 5sec for 40, and he’s very explosive over 10 metres.

“We’re very happy with Lifemi and what he’s doing – and he’s made a commitment to 15s.” Mafi has played in New Zealand’s sevens squad this season.

Nonu remains “a midfielder who can play on the wing. That’s always been the case and nothing’s changed since I’ve been involved,” Roulston said.

He says that if Tana doesn’t make the Friday night match with the Cats, None would be at second five-eighth and Tuipolutu at centre. But when all are available, Umaga will be nam

To be fair, that's a lot faster than our other wings and he seems unsure
    of when is the best time to pass to those outside him. Personally, I think
    we have to find a place to play him but I'm not convinced it's in the
    centres.
    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

IC is perfect for him how do you defend against him does he know what he's going to do next? Time for the Munster squad to get up to speed. He's a young Darcy in the making and may be better...
      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud
        IC is perfect for him how do you defend against him does he know what he's going to do next? Time for the Munster squad to get up to speed. He's a young Darcy in the making and may be better...

He is no-where near Darcy's class, and I supsect he may never. He is more comparable in style to Barry Murphy, and though he is faster than Murphy, he lacks his defensive capabilities.For all hispace and shape-throwing, he doesn't break the line very often, and runs headlong into the tackle more often than not with a resultant one-handed pass thrown out , which could go anywhwere. His defence is suspect also, and he lacks upper-body strenth to be a top class 12. I think he is more like a 7's player than anything. Hopefully he will improve, but he is nothing like Darcy, and I don't think he will ever be better. Then again, 5 years ago I though Darcy was a bit of a waste, so who knows?

Unrepentant Langer

Comment

[QUOTE=McCloud]IC is perfect for him how do you defend against him does he know what he's going to do next? Time for the Munster squad to get up to speed. He's a young Darcy in the making and may be better...[/QUOTE]

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
          The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
          - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Remember when Darcy hit the Irish scene first it was at 13 with BOD at 12. Darcy was considered small for a 12 then. He grew into the position and redefined it. I have to say I have thought Mafi was like a younger Darcy.

Comment

I always think his tackling is a bit suspect though.

Comment

you guys must be watching a different mafi to me. He has pace and a hand off and.....

Comment

He scoresfar more tries than Darcy does...
                  My computer thinks I'm gay
                  What's the difference anyway
                  When all the people do all day
                  Is stare into a phone

Comment

Heaslip scores more tries than leamy does...

Comment

He's improving every game looking forward to next season with Mafi at 12.
                      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979

Absolutely. Its some strike rate considering he is being played out of position
                        My computer thinks I'm gay
                        What's the difference anyway
                        When all the people do all day
                        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979
                          So he should, why else does he hang about in the wing?
                          It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

What concerns me about Mafi is the amount of time he spends running backwards and forwards across the pitch with ball in hand. OK so he may be looking for a gap to go through, but he becomes predictable in doing this. Granted when he finds a gap he's through it like greased lightning, but it gets frustrating watching the cross pitch running.

Comment

He has speed, but speed is useless if you keep losing your passenger i.e THE BALL!

Comment

Working...
                              X