No announcement yet.

The new PRO14 format

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that Lemon. I was stating the other obvious that when the fixtures are out we'll know where we're playing and when .
    "Strike me flamin' handsome!!!" - Alf Stewart

His body is only a fuel tank for his micky - a work colleague talking about a fella he knows.

Comment

Does super rugby change it's conferences every year? I really like that element of the new set up, should keep things as competitive as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Expensive enough trip.

Info on trains https://www.seat61.com/SouthAfrica.htm

Not sure how long or how to do a land based trip.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

Expensive enough trip.

Info on trains https://www.seat61.com/SouthAfrica.htm

Not sure how long or how to do a land based trip.
          Dirt cheap when you get there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This looks utterly bizarre to me. I just can't make sense of the structure.
            Playing every team in your conference twice ... fine .. playing teams outside your conference once ... mental.
            Teams who will play more home than away games vs other conference teams have an advantage over those that don't.
            If you get much tougher away fixtures against other conference teams, than your closest rival in your own conference, that puts you at a serious disadvantage.
            Of course, that's if I'm even reading it correctly. As it seems convoluted as f*ck

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.
            --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by dubaicookie View Post
              Dirt cheap when you get there though.

Depending on timing, I might well go.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Average View Post
                Playing every team in your conference twice ... fine .. playing teams outside your conference once ... mental.
                Teams who will play more home than away games vs other conference teams have an advantage over those that don't.
                If you get much tougher away fixtures against other conference teams, than your closest rival in your own conference, that puts you at a serious disadvantage.
                Of course, that's if I'm even reading it correctly. As it seems convoluted as f*ck

There are definitely going to be problems.... but its the start of something new, where these problems need time to be ironed out...
                Everyone will have issues initially, except for the Welsh, they will always have issues, thats a gimme...

take the super 15 format, conference expansion, from 2011;

2011-2015
                In 2011, Super Rugby expanded to 15 teams - with the Melbourne Rebels the new franchise - and was split into three conferences, each with five teams and based in one of the three nations.

At the same time, the regular season expands to 16 matches with each team will playing a double round-robin within its home conference, and single matches against four teams from each of the other conferences.

The Finals Series expand to six teams, with the conference winners joined by the three non-winners with the most competition points without regard to conference affiliation. The two conference winners with the most competition points received a first-round bye.

In 2011 the Reds became the first Australian team outside the Brumbies to win a title, winning Super Rugby with a victory over the Crusaders in what was dubbed the battle of the hardship teams - with Queensland hit by floods and Christchurch rocked by a earthquake which disrupted both team's season.

The Chiefs went back-to-back the following two years with wins over the Sharks and Brumbies respectively, the Waratahs held the trophy aloft in 2014 with a thrilling win over the Crusaders while the Highlanders beat the Hurricanes to keep the trophy in the final season of Super Rugby as we knew it.
                He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                  Depending on timing, I might well go.
                  I'd be very interested myself . Was in Capetown/ wine country in 2015, now I've an excuse to go back. The mrs and myself couldn't spend money there, in fact we spent less than half what we'd budgeted and lived it up the whole time , it's gone cheaper again since apparently. You'd need a week or so to make the trip worth while , only thing is I'm not sure how safe Bloemfontein is. Incredibly beautiful country though.

Comment

Will the fixtures against the other conference be organised home and away on last season's placing so as to make them as equal as possible? Also, will one Welsh game be home and the other away?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Average View Post
                      Yeah but look at the Six Nations for home and away games. Some years you have an advantage over other teams. That is over a 5 game season, I think over a 21 game season, it won't matter. The teams in each conference will change every year too so over the long run, there will be no advantage.
                      Superintendent Chalmers: “Thank the Lord”? That sounded like a prayer. A prayer in a public school. God has no place within these walls, just like facts don’t have a place within an organized religion

Comment

Originally posted by Delmar O'Donnell View Post
                        Yeah but look at the Six Nations for home and away games. Some years you have an advantage over other teams. That is over a 5 game season, I think over a 21 game season, it won't matter. The teams in each conference will change every year too so over the long run, there will be no advantage.
                        It is only one game. I have no proof but I suspect that BPs will be more significant under this new format.

Comment

Originally posted by Munstersrebel View Post
                          Afaik there is no direct flight from cork Shannon or Belfast or Dublun.
                          Direct flights from Dublin to Addis Aababa, leaves around 7 pm, gets in 6 am, and then there is an easy connection to Jo'burg (4 hours). Problem is that its only about 4-5 days a week, and no idea how you would get to Bloemfontein
                          Lots of flights to Jo'burg through LHR, FRA, AMS

Comment

Right but then all but Leinster loose out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pony View Post
                              The top three non South-African sides from each conference will qualify for the Champions Cup.

some detail from Indo
                              You'd have to fancy, Leinster, Scarlets and Ulster from Conference B, much less clear in Conference A could be any of 5 (excluding Zebre and obviously Cheetahs). Likely to be the last we see from the Italians in the Champions Cup for a while...

Comment

Originally posted by Munstersrebel View Post
                                Right but then all but Leinster loose out.
                                Exactly - a fair system.

Comment

Working...
                                X