The new PRO14 format

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new PRO14 format

Apologies if this is covered on a different thread but what's the feeling about this? The BBC comment piece is pretty negative about it for various reasons, travel distance for away fans, integrity of the league when everyone doesn't play the same games. What's the feelings on it here? As an exile in Scotland I only get to see the two munster games here and I may lose one of them put apart from that I don't have an issue with it. It appears something needs to be done to increase finance otherwise the whole league turns into a feeder for AP and T14.

Originally posted by James NB View Post
    Apologies if this is covered on a different thread but what's the feeling about this? The BBC comment piece is pretty negative about it for various reasons, travel distance for away fans, integrity of the league when everyone doesn't play the same games. What's the feelings on it here? As an exile in Scotland I only get to see the two munster games here and I may lose one of them put apart from that I don't have an issue with it. It appears something needs to be done to increase finance otherwise the whole league turns into a feeder for AP and T14.

I don't see anything happening that's not already working in the NFL or in Super Rugby. The English are in denial about how many of their clubs are loss making and how sustainable their league is.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I'm reserving judgement and taking a "wait and see" approach.

If the local derbies are preserved it's got scope for sure. I'm not sure what the new S.A. teams will bring to the competition.
      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
        I don't see anything happening that's not already working in the NFL or in Super Rugby. The English are in denial about how many of their clubs are loss making and how sustainable their league is.
        I agree with the NFL comparison but the argument down south is that the expansion and conference system is part of the reason that super rugby is struggling at the moment.. or it might be that NZ is just too strong and it get predictable.

Comment

I remember a number of years ago when it was called the Celtic League and the idea of a "Rainbow Cup" was being floated. Looks like this idea was never given up on. Given the direction things have gone with the English and French I believe if successful this can only be a positive move for Irish rugby. Also when/if some North American teams enter the competition we will have some bit of a safety net if the Welsh realise their dream of joining the Premiership and walking away from us. As Miguel Sanchez says above "reserve judgement" until we see how things pan out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Being discussed at length on this thread here.

This season is only the first step. We may see the italian club Zebre disappear and next season the addition of a US club. If it works and there is TV money for it then there may be an opportunity to bring two more SA clubs on board.

It seems crazy but exciting nonetheless.

With the Top14 worth €96m in TV money from next season and the AP worth £36m, the Pro12 at €12m was heading nowhere. With two SA clubs on board it will be worth €18, and a US and two more SA club could bring it close to €30m.

The Pro12 has nowhere else to go, so if you value Irish Pro rugby and want to see it survive, this is the only show in town.

Some people have been saying that a British-Irish league is the "obvious" solution, but those folk need to explain why the AP clubs would simply volunteer to give away the money they depend on for survival to a rival group of companies in the Pro12. It won't happen.
            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Lets be honest something has to change. I was an advocate of the Italians joining, but that has failed and the blame lies at the door of WR and the IRU. They simply didn't take the long term view and fund them better.

I expect the RSA teams to become competitive very quickly. They will be a platform for exposure for ambitious players on the fringes of the RSA superrugby sides if nothing else. Perform in the pro14 and you'll get offers from big euro clubs.
              The Currie cup runs from Aug - Oct. Those August will be their pre-season, and while we are playing the first 2 rounds of Euro games they will be wrapping up the Currie. Last season the euro cup was played the 14/22nd October, the same weekends as the semi and final of the Currie. Yes there will be an overlap of the p14 and currie group games in Sept. It is still second tier to them and neither the Kings/Cheetahs would have released all their players to it, their priority was SR, now it will be P14.

I don't see it as essential they play in europe TBH.

There is 6m a year coming from their tv rights. I also expect SKY to back it in a big way, and broadcast in many global markets, as well as make it central to everything they do rugbywise, no AP or europe means they have no choice. It also pays them to invest in this league. If we have 12+6+another 6 from sky, we are close enough to the AP and T14 to compete.

We will have to play 1.5 games a year down there, it will be novel and useful for player experience.

I'm for it and can't wait for the start of the season. At this stage it would be good to settle on a format that works and has everyone competitive. To that end the Italians are the concern. A second euro league (made up of 5 odd Italian, 2 german, 3 Rom and 2 Georgian sides) might well be a better option for italy, with a link to the P14 to bring their standard up.

Comment

Having watched the last few seasons of Super Rugby it has become 4NZ teams + Lions. If you see the two Aussie qualifiers wouldn't qualify on points in NZ. From the RSA only the Lions qualify. And this is the way it has been for the last few years. The Kiwi franchises are ok but the RSA & AUS ones are a mess. Reducing teams isn't the be all end all. For Aus it might work but with RSA teams joining the Pro12, I don't really see it happening.

Who will pay for the extra costs of flying there? What with the qualification for the EEC and Parker Pen? The questions were asked in the article too.

I hope it works out but we will have to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post

some people have been saying that a british-irish league is the "obvious" solution, but those folk need to explain why the privately owned and profit driven ap clubs would simply volunteer to give away the money they depend on for survival to a rival group of companies in the pro12. It won't happen.
                  fixed that for ya

Comment

It's clear that something had to be done. I'm excited about it and can see the other S.A. teams joining after 2020

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm happy to see the South African teams join - I think it will definitely increase interest in the short to medium term.

But I'm a bit skeptical about the conference format. Am I right in saying that a straight up league without playoffs would mean 26 games as opposed to 22+2 for the finalists in the current format.

Although sometimes it's easy to forget there are real people, not machines playing these games, so maybe 2 extra games is a big difference come the end of the season.

Comment

I like the idea, pretty simplistic view but seeing an SA franchise in Cork/Limerick certainly has more appeal than an Italian one

Comment

Can't see too many frontliners being allowed to make the roundtrip to SA by the iRFU
                          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                            Can't see too many frontliners being allowed to make the roundtrip to SA by the iRFU
                            so its the same as Zebre then.. including the supporters...

not much changing, just a lot more cash incoming..
                            He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                              Why would they want to go there?
                              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Working...
                              X