New Signings and Departures 2017 - 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
    This is exactly how I feel about Andrew Conway.
    Except Conway wasn't poached, he was let go.

Comment

Well if you had given the lad a starting place or chance on that he would have stayed blue.

Comment

We took him under our wings when he was shown the door.

Comment

Get up the ****ing yard. His **** stinks like a good honest Munsterman. It was only cromulent that he came here.
          The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by Bayern View Post
            Munster used to pride itself on developing players who weren't big underage talents, but they seem to have given up on that now, instead they are taking the easy option and are recruiting school boys from SA.

And there are limited academy places, 2 of those limited places are now taken up by two random schoolboys from SA instead of two munster underage players. Some will say those two munster lads who didn't get an academy place because of these recruits weren't good enough in the first place... I'd say to that that there has been many players "not good enough" when they were 19/20 and were.
            Like Rosser?
            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
              Would the Islanders or perhaps the Argies or RSA be the least likely to source and cap a foreign born player?

NZ do, as do Oz, England and all the 6 nations teams also.

I don't think we'd have enough top class locally born players to compete at elite levels tbh. Playing population here isn't big enough.
              Contrary to popular belief, the Pacific Islanders are among the worst for foreign born players. Having said that, most of them are Kiwi born to PI parents and are raised with PI heritage rather than qualifying through residency like a lot of ours. Argentina would definitely be the top Tier 1 nation for home born players.

Stats from the last RWC on foreign born players (granted things have escalated since 2015):-
              Samoa 13 / Wales 12 / Tonga 12 / Scotland 12 / Japan 11 / France 10 / Australia 9 / Italy 9 / USA 9 / Ireland 7 / New Zealand 6 / Canada 6 / Romania 4 / England 3 / Fiji 3 / Namibia 2 / Georgia 1 / South Africa 1 / Uruguay 1 / Argentina 0

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
                Contrary to popular belief, the Pacific Islanders are among the worst for foreign born players. Having said that, most of them are Kiwi born to PI parents and are raised with PI heritage rather than qualifying through residency like a lot of ours. Argentina would definitely be the top Tier 1 nation for home born players.

Stats from the last RWC on foreign born players (granted things have escalated since 2015):-
                Samoa 13 / Wales 12 / Tonga 12 / Scotland 12 / Japan 11 / France 10 / Australia 9 / Italy 9 / USA 9 / Ireland 7 / New Zealand 6 / Canada 6 / Romania 4 / England 3 / Fiji 3 / Namibia 2 / Georgia 1 / South Africa 1 / Uruguay 1 / Argentina 0
                I don't think you can really use those stats. As you say alot are Kiwi born, which is where the majority go as there are better opportunities there. If you were to tot the amount of players brought in through the residency rule/granny rule there would be at most a handful between all the PI players, if any.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Munstersrebel View Post
                  Well if you had given the lad a starting place or chance on that he would have stayed blue.
                  Ive got 2 words for you brother, Dave Kearney.
                  \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                    Would the Islanders or perhaps the Argies or RSA be the least likely to source and cap a foreign born player?

NZ do, as do Oz, England and all the 6 nations teams also.

I don't think we'd have enough top class locally born players to compete at elite levels tbh. Playing population here isn't big enough.
                    That doesn't make the system right. This is farcical stuff now that we are actively recruiting young players from other countries now. That's a changing of the landscape for Irish rugby.
                    I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

With all due respect the Pacific Islanders are raped and pillaged by the top nations for their best young players. How are they expected to field even moderately competitive teams with this going on?
                      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally Posted by Pony
                        How would we all feel if the greatest school talent in a generation was poached by a foreign country to which they had absolutely no connection

Conway was interviewed on RTE during the November internationals & said that he actually always felt a connection to Munster because his father used to take him to munster games. I hate this term, but he actually referred to himself as a "Lunster" when he was younger.

Comment

Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post
                          I don't think you can really use those stats. As you say alot are Kiwi born, which is where the majority go as there are better opportunities there. If you were to tot the amount of players brought in through the residency rule/granny rule there would be at most a handful between all the PI players, if any.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
                          I see no reason why I can't use them stats. Miguel's comment I was responding to asked about foreign born players which those stats refer to.

Obviously taking out the parental qualification would greatly change those numbers.

Again from 2015 RWC excluding parental qualification...........................
                          Japan 10 / France 9 / Australia 9 / USA 8 / Scotland 7 / Wales 6 / Italy 6 / Canada 5 / Romania 4 / Ireland 4 / New Zealand 4 / England 3 / South Africa 1 / Uruguay 1 / Tonga 0 / Samoa 0 / Fiji 0 / Namibia 0 / Georgia 0 / Argentina 0

Some of those would be lads who qualify through residency but moved over as kids with their families and grew up through their adopted nation (Vunipolas, Kaino, Faletau, Amos, Charteris, Nyanga, Ouedraogo, Mumm, Moore, Skelton, Tomane etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Red Til Dead View Post
                            Conway was interviewed on RTE during the November internationals & said that he actually always felt a connection to Munster because his father used to take him to munster games. I hate this term, but he actually referred to himself as a "Lunster" when he was younger.
                            Very few of the other Lunsters had a connection to Munster either :)

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                              With all due respect the Pacific Islanders are raped and pillaged by the top nations for their best young players. How are they expected to field even moderately competitive teams with this going on?
                              I never said they weren't. Just putting some stats to Miguel's comments.

Yes a lot of their kids do get poached (mainly Fiji) and offered scholarships abroad etc but they need to fix their own structures too to ensure their better young players are capped before they go abroad.

Also a lot of the players they claim as being theirs have been born in NZ (mainly Samoa/Tonga) and grow up dreaming of an All Black jersey. If they sorted out their own head offices they could be able to attract more of those players that fall short of All Black standard.

Comment

Yes a lot of their kids do get poached (mainly Fiji) and offered scholarships abroad etc but they need to fix their own structures too to ensure their better young players are capped before they go abroad.
                                Surely you can't cap a 15-year-old. Realistically, Fiji isn't going to be able to offer the educational and financial opportunities NZ does so Fiji Rugby can fix their structures all they like but it won't change players' decisions.

Comment

Working...
                                X