New Signings and Departures 2017 - 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post
    On Argie FB, Leinster signed top class international in Lowe when they have acres of local talented backs.
    All the exciting ones are very raw though, you'd want an old head on the pitch with them during international windows where the normal on pitch leaders are away. Plus Cullen mentioned that it's nice to take on board some of the ideas from a top player's previous clubs would bring in.
    The system is dead! Long live the process!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
      Too flashy, won't suit the ould lads on the terrace. "Yerra will you kick it for f**k's sake."
      Plus a name the bogmen savages will never get right.

'Yerra Corduroy only came here to take one of our daughters the Latin bollox'

I agree with Toby and Jenta this lads' too stylish and snappy. We need muckers and lads that look like Quasimodo
      I am the million man.

Comment

Contract Signings
        10th January 2018 By The Editor

Billy Holland
        INPHO/Bryan Keane
        Munster Rugby are pleased to confirm a number of contract updates including extensions for Billy Holland, Stephen Archer and Kevin O’Byrne.
        The senior trio of Holland, Archer and O’Byrne have all put pen to paper recently while academy players Liam O’Connor, Fineen Wycherley and Calvin Nash have also committed to the province.

32-year-old Holland, the most senior squad member with 176 caps, has penned a two-year deal that will see the lock remain with the province until June 2020. Billy, an integral member of the squad has shown incredible durability starting the first 16 games of this campaign, only missing out on his first match-day inclusion last weekend.

Fellow Cork-men Archer and O’Byrne have also signed two-year deals.

Tighthead prop Archer is the only player to feature in every game this season, and like Billy is one of the more senior players in the squad with the 30-year-old making his 151st appearance in red against Connacht in Thomond Park last Saturday.

At 26, hooker O’Byrne made his European debut against Racing 92 in October and went on to start against Leicester Tigers in Welford Road in round 4. He has played for the province on 28 occasions.

Academy prop Liam O’Connor, who is currently rehabbing a long-term knee injury sustained against Ospreys, will advance to a two-year senior contract at the start of the 2018/19 season. After making his European debut as a replacement against Stade Francais in January ’16, the 22-year-old Cork native went on to make his breakthrough at the start of this campaign, with 11 appearances in the first 12 games of the season.

Fellow academy forward Fineen Wycherley will also make the step up at the end of the season after signing a one-year development deal. From Bantry in West Cork, the 20-year-old lock has made six appearances in the Guinness PRO14.

Academy winger Calvin Nash has also signed up to a one-year development contract for the beginning of the 2018/19 season. Hailing from Limerick, the 20-year-old winger has made four appearances in the Guinness PRO14.

Continuing on the academy front, the South African duo of Keynon Knox and Matt Moore, both 18, recently linked up with Peter Malone’s charges after completing their schools rugby with Michaelhouse and St Andrew’s College respectively. Knox, a tighthead prop, and Moore who plays centre and fullback, are training with the first year academy recruits.
        "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Anyone know who Matt Moore is? Didn't hear anything aboard him signing, just about Knox.
          "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Originally posted by KerryRed View Post
            Anyone know who Matt Moore is? Didn't hear anything aboard him signing, just about Knox.
            Munster have been chasing him since the summer, see this article https://www.mycomlink.co.za/posting.php?i=37935

Comment

Is Copeland out of contract this season? A potentially suspicious looking post from him on his Instagram story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A quick search on Google found this clip. Can't be sure this is the right guy

Comment

You should send them a player in return, that would be a turnip for the boks! wouldn't it ?

Comment

I struggle to see the either/or handwringing about bringing two year one academy members from South Munsfrica.

The drop off going through the academy is always going to mean you need more options than finished articles.

I think any young man at 17/18 years of age who goes to the other end of the world to play a sport they've a talent for shows they've got true grit

People seem to forget some of the best players from up here went to NZ to learn, such as Bull Hayes or Martin Johnson. How is this any different to the Irish fella playing for Canterbury Ollie Jager right now?

I'd also like to point out the fact that these guys and lots of other Saffers are moving to limerick because they seem to like being here, maybe we should show a little pride in the fact this is appearing from the outside as a nice place to be! BJ Botha still in town, Dougie in Cork, there must be something worthwhile.

I certainly think it's something we don't remember or emphasise enough, we were welcomed all over the world when there was **** all here to do. How quickly those welcomes are forgotten when the tables are turned. Furthermore ignore the bitching and moaning from outside about us recruiting abroad, let the conveyor belt feed the blue machine and let us do it our own way. If a local kid is good enough I've faith in our scouting and academy that he will be picked and backed and make it into the senior side irrespective of two new bok candidates also there.
                    Last edited by Cowboy; 10th-January-2018, 19:39.
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Good on you Cowboy. I was thinking the exact same. WE must have something good going in Limerick/Munster if these young fellas want to be a part of it.
                      "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                        I struggle to see the either/or handwringing about bringing two year one academy members from South Munsfrica.

The drop off going through the academy is always going to mean you need more options than finished articles.

I think any young man at 17/18 years of age who goes to the other end of the world to play a sport they've a talent for shows they've got true grit

People seem to forget some of the best players from up here went to NZ to learn, such as Bull Hayes or Martin Johnson. How is this any different to the Irish fella playing for Canterbury Ollie Jager right now?

I'd also like to point out the fact that these guys and lots of other Saffers are moving to limerick because they seem to like being here, maybe we should show a little pride in the fact this is appearing from the outside as a nice place to be! BJ Botha still in town, Dougie in Cork, there must be something worthwhile.

I certainly think it's something we don't remember or emphasise enough, we were welcomed all over the world when there was **** all here to do. How quickly those welcomes are forgotten when the tables are turned. Furthermore ignore the bitching and moaning from outside about us recruiting abroad, let the conveyor belt feed the blue machine and let us do it our own way. If a local kid is good enough I've faith in our scouting and academy that he will be picked and backed and make it into the senior side irrespective of two new bok candidates also there.
                        What Cowboy said[emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Imagine the 2 lads become key players for us in a couple of years. What happens when Rassie calls them up to play for the Boks? Will they say "No thanks."? He's already pilfering the coaching staff! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by MunsterLux View Post
                            Imagine the 2 lads become key players for us in a couple of years. What happens when Rassie calls them up to play for the Boks? Will they say "No thanks."? He's already pilfering the coaching staff! ;)
                            They might actually have to be good enough for test rugby for that to happen, right now they're two students training with Munster

If they were the finished article I'd suggest they'd be staying in SA to get into the Bok setup?

I'm not saying it's an impossibility but I'm seeing what you're suggesting as an incredibly long shot. The Saffers still think their setup is superior to ours (in my view)
                            I am the million man.

Comment

did realize BJ Botha still lives in Limerick

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                                did realize BJ Botha still lives in Limerick
                                Keep an eye out for a gold Merc Gwagon from the 80s

He around
                                I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                                X