No announcement yet.

New Signings and Departures 2017 - 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We won’t be getting a new outhalf. Keatley signed an extension last year, we brought in JJ, Johnston’s coming through and there’s Tyler as well.
    The problem with our 10s is consistency. 10 more than any role needs a run of games to get in to form. The only one who’s gotten that this season is Keatley and he’s benefited from it massively.

Tyler was great when he got a run of games together last season but he’s injured again and hasn’t managed to put a run of games together.

JJ, I didn’t realise that he was out for 6 months with his shoulder injury that caused him to miss the first 5 games this season. He hasn’t kicked on the way we would have imagined because he physically has not had time on the pitch to do so. He’s had a horrible time with injuries and hasn’t managed to put any real amount of back to back game time because of it. (He was only available for 10 games of the whole of Northampton’s season last year because of injury.)
    He has the skill set but lacks consistency because he hasn’t had the game time.

To give any 10 a chance at out half they need back to back game time to do so. It’s difficult to ask that of them with 10 minutes to go when a game is already won or lost. We’re fine with the 10s we have they just need to try and stay injury free to try and compete for the starting spot.
    The problem isn’t the quality of our outhalves it’s the fact they can’t stay injury free.
    The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
      Foley at Waratahs is out of contract in 2018.
      If he's available, then to beat the French we'd have to pony up the dosh. Two seasons for €500k each. Is that enough to come to Munster?

Given that we have Keats, Tyler, JJ and Billy?
      Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
        If he's available, then to beat the French we'd have to pony up the dosh. Two seasons for €500k each. Is that enough to come to Munster?

Given that we have Keats, Tyler, JJ and Billy?

Who knows.

What I do know is that we have three fly halves aged 25, 27 and 30. One of them is an international, with 7 caps in 8 years.

I'm not having a personal pop at any of them. A player playing to the best of his ability is all you can ask.

But we have to be realistic about what we're trying to achieve. As was mentioned above that Tyler took us to a European Semi and a League Final last year. He's got the quality. But being our first line fly half demands consistency and durability too.

In hindsight, ROG's durability was as remarkable as his ability. He very rarely missed a key fixture.

I can see why people feel we just need another nudge, another push, to get to the next level.

But imo the gap between a semi final and winning the competition (or even being beaten out the gate in a final like we were last year and winning one) is exponential.

I think we also need to bear in mind that the fly halves we're talking about, all with question marks over them at some level, are playing outside arguably the best scrum half in the world, with two thirds of a Lions back row in front of them.

It's not like they're slogging away at Embra.

I genuinely hope one of them nails it down at the right level this year. But I'm less and less optimistic.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
          Foley??!!!! I've heard it all now! The lad who can't kick further than 30m from hand, awful place kicker and has to be hidden on the wing in defence. No thanks! And no hope of him leaving Tahs regardless.

Having said all that I'd still have him ahead of Quade. We don't want or need a show pony like him anywhere near our squad.

How many of our current Fly Half options would win 55 caps for the Wallabies?

Actually, on form this year, how many would get a game for a top four club in England or France?
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Foley at Waratahs is out of contract in 2018. Cooper would be a long shot, but maybe worth the risk. Cipriani as mentioned.

Colin Slade at Pau (unfortunately contracted to 2020) is the sort of player I'd like to see us get hold of.
            Cipriani 😂😂😂 again the England hype train in working order again. We need a ten that can control a game in big matches not a show pony.

Comment

How many of our current Fly Half options would win 55 caps for the Wallabies?

Actually, on form this year, how many would get a game for a top four club in England or France?
              Q1 : Foley on reputation would be a great signing, Foley from 2014-2015 would be up there with the best SH imports. However, Foley from the here and now is honestly just totally mediocre and only gets a game for Oz because of the freakishly little depth at 10 in Australian rugby and tbh I'd rather just stick with Keatley who atleast has experience in European rugby unlike Foley who is an unknown quantity

Q2 : Keatley probably, but typical in Irish rugby he has 1 bad game so he is automatically crap again.

Comment

I'd agree with stringer9, one of your 10's just needs a run of games. Ross Byrne didn't impress me initially but getting nearly a full season at 10 is bringing him along in leaps and bounds.
                The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Munster haven't the luxury of being able to give a run of games to a 10 looking for form.

We need to win games consistently, and it's up to any aspiring player to earn his selection on merit based on performances in training and practice.

This Field of Dreams "If you build it he will come" nonsense is pure folly.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
                  Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                  Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Shocking how quickly many have lost faith in our player of the season last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                      Munster haven't the luxury of being able to give a run of games to a 10 looking for form.

We need to win games consistently, and it's up to any aspiring player to earn his selection on merit based on performances in training and practice.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
                      We've been covering/ juggling to avoid gaping holes in the pack, and coaching/management, for months, and we have coped very well, in pole position in our Hcup group and second in the Pro14, with young players showing very well. Bringing JJ up to speed as well as giving Keats the opportunity to establish himself in TBs absence has been abridge too far. The run of games thing, which is surely which will decide things for JJ and help BillJ to take the next step just isn't possible with so many other things to be covered, and I think Rassie/Jacques, Fla/Felix have been outstanding in managing so many challenges.

That said, I agree with Miguel, those in the know should be seeing whats happening in training, and creating opportunities during training to shift responsibility about. Of course it's not a real game situation, and that's where the ultimate test is. Hopefully starting JJ against Ulster and then Connacht, with 20 at the end for Keats, starting Keats in Paris and (if we get a result) JJ against Castres would allow us to see how things are shaping. If Keats gets called up for the 6N, it will probably be JJ and BillJ, with (hopefully) TB being eased back in. At that point we will know how earnest the scouting needs to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                        Shocking how quickly many have lost faith in our player of the season last year.
                        I don't think its a question of losing faith in Keatly, he has done very well this year, and I'm sure most of us are delighted. He had a bad half an hour last week, and few of us are (I hope) blinded by that to the way he has played the rest of the year. The point remains, however, that playing at his best, as he has done this season, he is clearly not and probably wont be the commanding international regular we would like to see in such a pivotal position. That's not a loss of faith in him, I wish I had had half his ability, but it is an act of faith in what levels Munster can continue to compete at. I still pinch myself that a team of largely local lads could have been such a dominant force in Europe for a decade- and I want us to get back to, and exceed, those levels. Regrettably, IK probably isn't the man to get us there, although if everywhere else on the pitch was he manage just fine. OH is too critical a position to be held by someone who is almost good enough, it's a position where you need excellence if you want to succeed (just as we have at SH).

Comment

great place this for looking over the neighbours fence and saying id like that !.
                          we have Keatley , Tyler B , JJ and Bill Jonston, we don't need a new 10 imo , a new 10 wont solve the glaring inefficiencies we have at times doing the basics of setplays and skillsets , I'm happy to see how the 2 new coaches settle in and put their mark on squad and playing style.
                          Still there's a light I hold before me
                          You're the measure of my dreams
                          The measure of my dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                            I think Munster need two options at minimum in every position, it is the way of modern rugby

Until Tyler completes a season uninjured he isn't really a viable option

Until JJ shows more than flashes of brilliance he isn't a viable option either

The only consistent and dependable player we have is Keats and more power to him

He gets much maligned but Duncan could steer Munster through a pool game in the morning, which is what we can't say about any other option at 10 besides Keats today.
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathalsmart View Post
                              Q1 : Foley on reputation would be a great signing, Foley from 2014-2015 would be up there with the best SH imports. However, Foley from the here and now is honestly just totally mediocre and only gets a game for Oz because of the freakishly little depth at 10 in Australian rugby and tbh I'd rather just stick with Keatley who atleast has experience in European rugby unlike Foley who is an unknown quantity

Q2 : Keatley probably, but typical in Irish rugby he has 1 bad game so he is automatically crap again.
                              Foley isn’t going to come to Ireland for his retirement plan when he can double his salary in France

Keatley gets blamed for too much when the weakness in your front 5 is overlooked constantly

Tyler and Keatley probably both a bit flaky really but on a good year with a super pack could steer the ship home with Murray inside them

But the current pack especially the front 5 hasn’t the quality in my view
                              I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                                Foley isn’t going to come to Ireland for his retirement plan when he can double his salary in France

Keatley gets blamed for too much when the weakness in your front 5 is overlooked constantly

Tyler and Keatley probably both a bit flaky really but on a good year with a super pack could steer the ship home with Murray inside them

But the current pack especially the front 5 hasn’t the quality in my view
                                I think the front row is good enough but the second row really isn’t. I’m hoping the signing of Tadgh Beirne can really help this. We have a quality SR in Kleyn but other than the others are at best decent ( Holland) average at best (O’Shea) simply too young (Wycherley,O’Connor) unknown quantity (Grobler,McCarthy) I feel having 3 SR’s of Beirne,Kleyn,Holland is very good 3 with 2 good youngesters coming through.

Comment

Working...
                                X