New Signings and Departures 2017 - 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    No fly half with a skill set at that level has won anything for a good long while.

In salary terms, POM + Stander + Zebo has got to equal a proven player.
    I hear ya.

But we brought in Grobler, and look how that has panned out for us.

I think if it's all the eggs in one basket or two eggs in three baskets I'd go for the latter. Look at Shelbyville, Johnny, Byrne and Carbomb

We've two great tens but neither are bulletproof for different reasons.
    I am the million man.

Comment

Which 10 did yo have in mind BB?
      Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
        Which 10 did yo have in mind BB?
        Foley at Waratahs is out of contract in 2018. Cooper would be a long shot, but maybe worth the risk. Cipriani as mentioned.

Colin Slade at Pau (unfortunately contracted to 2020) is the sort of player I'd like to see us get hold of.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Don’t write off Tyler. He was very good last season and is still pretty young. Let’s see how he goes. Then there’s Bill Johnston coming through too.

Keats is going well now and is far more consistent. Short of spending money we don’t have, we’re not going to sign somebody significantly better to keep us going in the meantime.

Comment

Bill Johnston will step up, given a run without injury. But this is a pointless discussion, imho, because the IRFU won’t be sanctioning a NIQ outhalf, outside of exceptional circumstances, anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
              Bill Johnston will step up, given a run without injury. But this is a pointless discussion, imho, because the IRFU won’t be sanctioning a NIQ outhalf, outside of exceptional circumstances, anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Why not?

Ulster and Leinster have an iq one (ok Jackson allegedly was a very naughty boy but is presume innocent). Not sure about the
              Westies.

Comment

Originally posted by SlurpySlurps View Post
                Disagree with all of the above but hey if you dont think adding an exceptional young irish back 3 player to the squad is a good idea...

Hes clearly going to cost a fraction of Zebo's salary so there is budget available.

With regards to the attractions for the player himself, if he can lock down a starting position over sweetnam/wooton (which is not implausible) then he is going to be parachuted into Irish consideration. He would effectively be repacing zebo-a huge opportunity. Bear in mind he is younger than both and was more highly rated than both pre-connacht. He started a non cap game against the barbarians aged 20

And your point re Irish rugby-if if was dillane we were talking about Im pretty sure you wouldnt be making that point, similar to leinsters interest in irish rugby when they signed henshaw.
                Our first choice back three will be Earls, Conway and one of Wootton, Sweetnam and ROM (and that’s without considering Nash or Fitzgerald). Your assumption that Kelleher, who’s struggled to break through at Connacht, will suddenly jump ahead of those three lads is pretty unfounded.

He’d be unlikely to get more game time here, which would be bad for him, bad for Irish rugby and a waste of money for us. So what’s the point in deepening one of the already deepest areas of the squad?

Dillane, by contrast, would currently walk straight into our match day squad and possibly our team (alongside Kleyn). However, with Beirne signed, Wycherley developing, and Grobler potentially coming back into contention very soon, the need is diminishing. would be nice to have him come back to us next season but it may not make that much difference anyway.

We’re getting to a point that we have/soon will have a few good players in most positions. Signings like Kelleher won’t move the dial. Only somebody world class in a key position (like OH) will make us significantly more likely to win a ECC in the near term. Otherwise we’ll just have to see if this maturing squad can do it themselves.

Comment

Gwan JJ
                  Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Munstersrebel View Post
                    Why not?

Ulster and Leinster have an iq one (ok Jackson allegedly was a very naughty boy but is presume innocent). Not sure about the
                    Westies.
                    Not enough depth for Ireland in the position right now. They’ll want us starting Keats, Tyler, Bill or JJ in Europe pretty regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                      Gwan JJ
                      More chances than anyone.

Took too few of them, but that's for another thread I guess
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                        Don’t write off Tyler. He was very good last season and is still pretty young. Let’s see how he goes. Then there’s Bill Johnston coming through too.

Keats is going well now and is far more consistent. Short of spending money we don’t have, we’re not going to sign somebody significantly better to keep us going in the meantime.

Is Tyler fit at the moment? He's 27, and wasn't playing well earlier in the year, and has now been out since October.

I'm a big fan, but this needed to be a big season for him to build on last year, and it's at risk of drifting past him.

He's a year and a half older than Owen Farrell, and three years older than George Ford. He's a year younger than Aaron Cruden.

Wherever his ceiling is, he'd want to start up the step ladder sharpish...
                        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Is Tyler fit at the moment? He's 27, and wasn't playing well earlier in the year, and has now been out since October.

I'm a big fan, but this needed to be a big season for him to build on last year, and it's at risk of drifting past him.

He's a year and a half older than Owen Farrell, and three years older than George Ford. He's a year younger than Aaron Cruden.

I am glad we stuck with him through his rehab- and there were encouraging signs later last season, until, I think, he was exhausted. This year he was very erratic, and then injured. The age contrasts, and what may be a physical fragility for Tyler, puts them way ahead in terms of where things are now, and likely to be in a few years. It’s tragic, but, I fear, true.

Comment

I wouldn't be looking at a fly half just yet. TB looked the business at the start of last season. It was always going to be a long hard slog of a recovery after such a injury and consequential set backs. Still think he could be a excellent OH yet. And TBH there's no guarantee bringing in a big signing would pan out. Keats is a good player for a backup. Never mind having JJ and Johnson for competition as well.

The only area really I'd look to strengthen is lock. And we're bringing in Beirne next year. Hopefully Dilliane will join us sooner rather then later. But unless a real good prospect is spotted like Klyen, TB, Stander etc. I won't rush out spending a fortune on a big name.

Our recruitment has been excellent in the past few years. Think our current strategy of bring players who didn't make it in there own country for xyz reasons is really panning out.
                            "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

He took us to a ECC semi final and Pro12 final last season. That was his first full season for a while and his first as no.1 OH for a top level team. If he improves on that over the next season or so he’ll be doing well.

Comment

Foley at Waratahs is out of contract in 2018. Cooper would be a long shot, but maybe worth the risk.
                                Foley??!!!! I've heard it all now! The lad who can't kick further than 30m from hand, awful place kicker and has to be hidden on the wing in defence. No thanks! And no hope of him leaving Tahs regardless.

Having said all that I'd still have him ahead of Quade. We don't want or need a show pony like him anywhere near our squad.

Comment

Working...
                                X