New Signings and Departures 2017 - 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Munstersrebel View Post
    Playing for Naas and coaching a Dub school.
    That didn't end well

Comment

Anything to do with 5th line back three players is pretty academic, I think. Sign him or don't, it's pretty much all the one.

We've Zebo, POM and Stander off the Munster pay roll at the end of the season. We should be signing a world class lock and a world class fly half.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by SlurpySlurps View Post
        Am making the assumption that conway earls and sweetnam/wooton are your starting back 3 next year. That leaves r o mahony as your only experienced cover.
        Except it'd be fairly rare that Sweetnam & Wooton would share the one Jersey for a match so we have both ROM & one of Sweetnam/Wooton as experienced cover. We've 5 guys who I'd happily see starting, plus young guys coming through. I really don't see the need for signing.

Also the suggestion that he's good enough to overtake our current back 3 while also being able to cover during international windows doesn't make a lot of sense. Surely it's one or the other. Anyway I have seen glimpses, but not much else, to say that Kelleher has the potential to be very good. Whereas we've got a very potent back 3 is it is (ROM was pro12 top tryscorer before he got injured at the end of last season, and he's 5th choice)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by mickiemcfist; 30th-December-2017, 09:26.

Comment

if hes not coming to us I think its a high possibility hes going to ulster to replace piutau. Not saying he is a must have but he definitely improves the squad and has a lot of potential. Cannot see how anyone can disgree with that

The wider point is, I dont think wel be allowed sign another NIQ next year, even if you assume Grobler leaves we still have 4 signed up

That leaves you looking at a very shallow pool of Irish qualified signings who are potentially available and we already have one signed in Beirne. Options are very limited

Signinga marquee outhalf would be great but its not going to happen

Comment

if hes not coming to us I think its a high possibility hes going to ulster to replace piutau. Not saying he is a must have but he definitely improves the squad and has a lot of potential. Cannot see how anyone can disgree with that

The wider point is, I dont think wel be allowed sign another NIQ next year, even if you assume Grobler leaves we still have 4 signed up

That leaves you looking at a very shallow pool of Irish qualified signings who are potentially available and we already have one signed in Beirne. Options are very limited

Nobody disagrees that he's talented, but we can only have 15 players on the pitch at one time and he wouldn't be in the top 15 of our squad. I'd rather less of the "great squad player" signings for one marquee player, preference for second row for me.

Re NIQ's, all bar Taute & Grobler could potentially play for Ireland one day *afaik, may be wrong on Cloete. So we're nowhere near Ulster in that regard.

Of positions to recruit for, back 3 is pretty much the last place I'd start. I was against the notion of TOH moving down also.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
              Anything to do with 5th line back three players is pretty academic, I think. Sign him or don't, it's pretty much all the one.

We've Zebo, POM and Stander off the Munster pay roll at the end of the season. We should be signing a world class lock and a world class fly half.
              Those 2 positions are exactly what we need, I would imagine a big Saffer lock is being lined up. Getting a world class fly half is nigh impossible- I think we'll have to allow JJ or Bill Johnston a sustained run of games next season. Tyler is too injury prone, basically missed 2/3 seasons for us. Already we have tied up money in Keatley, Tyler, JJ and Johnston so I can't see us budgeting for an OH.

Comment

Only Taute is NIQ, remainder are project players. Tyler has now qualified for Ireland. Kleyn & Marshall are qualified in 2019. Cloete in 2020. If we keep Grobbler on then he could be a project. I would think we can certainly add 1 more to the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post
                  Only Taute is NIQ, remainder are project players. Tyler has now qualified for Ireland. Kleyn & Marshall are qualified in 2019. Cloete in 2020. If we keep Grobbler on then he could be a project. I would think we can certainly add 1 more to the list.
                  So add another Sa lock in addition to Grobler and Kleyn? Nucifora be delighted about that

Comment

So add another Sa lock in addition to Grobler and Kleyn? Nucifora be delighted about that
                    Grobler is leaving at the end of the season and Kleyn can play for Ireland eventually. He was happy enough with Isa & Lowe in Leinster Plus 95% of Ulsters team

Comment

Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post
                      Grobler is leaving at the end of the season and Kleyn can play for Ireland eventually. He was happy enough with Isa & Lowe in Leinster Plus 95% of Ulsters team

if you had read post I was referring to it states "if we keep grobler" No need to be so disparaging

Comment

if you had read post I was referring to it states "if we keep grobler" No need to be so disparaging
                        I'm fairly certain he's leaving full stop. Either way, if he's kept as a project player that suits Nucifora as his concern is the Irish national side

Comment

Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post
                          I'm fairly certain he's leaving full stop. Either way, if he's kept as a project player that suits Nucifora as his concern is the Irish national side

Yes I think he is leaving too, hes on a 1 year deal

My point is if he stays, there is no way they are signing another SA lock. I would think that that is stating the obvious but im sure youll find something to disagree with

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

We now have remarkable strength in depth across the back five, albeit so far few that would be first choice for any of our main European rivals. I can't see the point of adding strength here, but a cut above in actual quality (rather than potential) would be interesting.

With Beirne coming in I cannot see a lock coming in, although second row has been chaos this year with injuries and suspensions. Next few months will be important for Fineen and Darren O Shea, but with O Connor there or there abouts too, that doesn's seem to me a likely area of recruitment.

My heart says 'wait' for the world class fly half, but Tyler was at best inconsistent early in the season (and I wonder whether he was fully fit) and the protracted recovery is very very worrying, and I think, regrettably the waiting may be nearly over. JJ has much to proove, and it's hard to see him being the consistent cut about Keatley that would really enhance us. [That's not a criticism of Keats, who has done very well this year, but we want to at/beyond the level of Ireland starters, and he is not, and the same can be said for Duncan].

Comment

Yes I think he is leaving too, hes on a 1 year deal

My point is if he stays, there is no way they are signing another SA lock. I would think that that is stating the obvious but im sure youll find something to disagree with
                              No chance of another SA lock to replace Grobler indeed, we have already signed Beirne to replace him.
                              Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

2 will be projects. Ireland aren't producing many 2nd rows. However, I would think if Grobler stays then that will be it in the 2nd row. Back 3 players aren't the priority, we need another big forward/decent OH.

Comment

Working...
                                X