No announcement yet.

New Signings and Departures 2017 - 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOH is a good player, and would of been a good addition. However it's for the best. The move would of been bad for Irish Rugby
    "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Great to be able to click on latest posts on this thread without a sense of trepidation
      Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post
        Lets give the new defense coach the chance to do a bit of magic on him.
        Speaking of the new defense coach, who has arrived I believe; does anyone know what we can expect? I'm not familiar with him at all and probably a little bit too lazy / busy to do a bit of research right now. Is he highly rated in SA? What level has he previously coached at?

Comment

Originally posted by East Terrace View Post
          Speaking of the new defense coach, who has arrived I believe; does anyone know what we can expect? I'm not familiar with him at all and probably a little bit too lazy / busy to do a bit of research right now. Is he highly rated in SA? What level has he previously coached at?
          He coached the Lions 2yrs in a row last 4 in Super Rugby

Comment

OHANNESBURG – Munster Rugby and the IRFU announced on Thursday that JP Ferreira will join the province as defence coach having signed a contract until June 2020.
            The 34-year-old makes the move from the Lions Super Rugby side where he held the position of defence coach since 2013, helping the side to a Currie Cup Championship in 2015 and consecutive Super Rugby finals in the last two years.
            After a decade working with the South African club across a number of coaching and analyst roles Ferreira is expected to commence working with head coach Johann van Graan, forwards coach Jerry Flannery and backline and attack coach Felix Jones from next week.
            Commenting on the appointment coach Johann van Graan said, “We are delighted that JP is joining our coaching team. He is a great coach that has been very successful at Super Rugby level, getting his side to finals with an excellent defence record. He also has test match experience from his time working with the Springboks during the November internationals last year so brings a great amount of knowledge and experience with him.
            I am the million man.

Comment

Our coaching ticket has a very youthful age profile between JVG, Flannery, Felix & now JP. It doesn't seem to be any kind of disadvantage though, going on the last number of weeks since Rassie's departure. Fair play to all of them. You would imagine they have got long and fruitful coaching careers ahead of them..

Comment

Think Cian Kelleher is the ideal candidate to replace Zebo. Massive potential despite not showing it at Connacht yet, still young, Irish, covers fb and wing. Dont think wel be able to get an NIQ as it will block pathway for wooton, nash , fitzgerald etc so dont see what other options we have now
                ohalloran has decided to stay. I think hes also in the last year of his contract

Comment

Originally posted by SlurpySlurps View Post
                  Think Cian Kelleher is the ideal candidate to replace Zebo. Massive potential despite not showing it at Connacht yet, still young, Irish, covers fb and wing. Dont think wel be able to get an NIQ as it will block pathway for wooton, nash , fitzgerald etc so dont see what other options we have now ohalloran has decided to stay
                  What's Andrew Conway done to be pushed out of contention? Conway is younger than Zebo, in superb form and we have a multitude of current top class back 3 players, we've absolutely no need to sign anyone. Another second row after Beirne would be my only addition to the squad.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post
                    What's Andrew Conway done to be pushed out of contention? Conway is younger than Zebo, in superb form and we have a multitude of current top class back 3 players, we've absolutely no need to sign anyone. Another second row after Beirne would be my only addition to the squad.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
                    Am making the assumption that conway earls and sweetnam/wooton are your starting back 3 next year. That leaves r o mahony as your only experienced cover. Agree that an NIQ should not used on a back 3 player, but think we are potentially exposed post zebo if we get 1/2 injuries as we have had this year. Given we were strongly linked to TOH it appears management agree

Kelleher has the potential to develop into an international level player and is strong backup whilst also having the ability to put pressure on and potentially displace one of the starters.

I also think nash will end up at 13
                    Last edited by SlurpySlurps; 30th-December-2017, 01:10.

Comment

Am making the assumption that conway earls and sweetnam/wooton are youre starting back 3 next year. That leaves r o mahony as your only experienced cover.
                      You've actually named 4 players there as your back 3 so you're already one player up, plus as you said the likes of ROM could be 5th choice. All 5 are very experienced at this stage.

With Stephen Fitzgerald already on a senior contract, and Nash coming up, to me, it seems a total waste to go through the effort of trying to nail down a brand new player from outside munster if he will only competing to be 6th or 7th choice in the running, or hence, 4th or 5th choice in the event of injuries.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by munsterfan10 View Post
                        You've actually named 4 players there as your back 3 so you're already one player up, plus as you said the likes of ROM could be 5th choice. All 5 are very experienced at this stage.

With Stephen Fitzgerald already on a senior contract, and Nash coming up, to me, it seems a total waste to go through the effort of trying to nail down a brand new player from outside munster if he will only competing to be 6th or 7th choice in the running, or hence, 4th or 5th choice in the event of injuries.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
                        Didnt expect this to be a divisive suggestion

Would Ck strengthen squad? Yes

Does he hsve the potential to develop into a starting player in the medium term? Yes

Is he Irish? Yes

Is he available? Most likely

Is there any other Irish qualified back 3 player out there who is realistically available that could improve what we have? Not that I can think of...

Makes a lot of sense to me. As above I think Nash will be an outstanding 13 who can cover back 3 and unfortunately SF is developing a little slowe than expected...and after him there is not a whole lot in the academy at present.

Also compare our back 3 depth chart post zebo to leinster (which is exceptional tbf) ulster and even connacht and there is definitely an argument for bringing someone in to replace zebo, not a starter but a squad player with potential, especially given all four players I named as starters could potentially be involved in Irish squads
                        Last edited by SlurpySlurps; 30th-December-2017, 01:39.

Comment

Didnt expect this to be a divisive suggestion

Would Ck strengthen squad? Yes

Does he hsve the potential to develop into a starting player in the medium term? Yes

Is he Irish? Yes

Is he available? Most likely

Is there any other Irish qualified back 3 player out there who is realistically available that could improve what we have? Not that I can think of...

Makes a lot of sense to me. As above I think Nash will be an outstanding 13 who can cover back 3 and unfortunately SF is developing a little slowe than expected...and after him there is not a whole lot in the academy at present.

Also compare our back 3 depth chart post zebo to leinster (which is exceptional tbf) ulster and even connacht and there is definitely an argument for bringing someone in to replace zebo, not a starter but a squad player with potential, especially given all four players I named as starters could potentially be involved in Irish squads
                          Would he cost money? Yes

Do we need him? Not really

Would the move be good for Irish rugby? Not really

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                            Would he cost money? Yes

Do we need him? Not really

Would the move be good for Irish rugby? Not really

Disagree with all of the above but hey if you dont think adding an exceptional young irish back 3 player to the squad is a good idea...

Hes clearly going to cost a fraction of Zebo's salary so there is budget available.

With regards to the attractions for the player himself, if he can lock down a starting position over sweetnam/wooton (which is not implausible) then he is going to be parachuted into Irish consideration. He would effectively be repacing zebo-a huge opportunity. Bear in mind he is younger than both and was more highly rated than both pre-connacht. He started a non cap game against the barbarians aged 20

And your point re Irish rugby-if if was dillane we were talking about Im pretty sure you wouldnt be making that point, similar to leinsters interest in irish rugby when they signed henshaw.

Comment

What's Fionn Carr up to these days?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
                              When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post
                                What's Fionn Carr up to these days?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
                                Playing for Naas and coaching a Dub school.

Comment

Working...
                                X