Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Signings and Departures 2017 - 2018

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by LimerickRugbyFan View Post

    Still doesn't make it a good signing? Plenty of depth in the back three as is and doesn't add any huge improvement? Although I would love to be proven wrong
    We have a lot of back 3 players but we don’t have a lot of specialised 15s. Enjoy the win, these quality signings don’t happen often!
    Last edited by Stringer9; 31-January-2020, 16:18.
    The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

    Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

    The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

    Comment


      Originally posted by LimerickRugbyFan View Post
      Squad for next season, I'd assume there will be a few departures but this is what we are looking at at the moment including a few academy lads who have gotten a run or hopefully will:

      Prop: Kilcoyne, Archer, Ryan, Loughman, J Cronin, Parker, L O'Connor, Knox

      Hooker: Scannell, Marshall, O'Byrne, Barron

      2nd Row: Snyman, Klyen, Wycherly, Holland, S O'Connor, Ahern, O'Shea

      Back Row: Beirne, O'Mahony, Stander, O'Donoghue, Botha, Cloete, O'Donnell, O'Sullivan, Coombes, Oliver.

      Scrum Half: Murray, Casey, N Cronin, McCarthy

      Out Half: Carbery, Hanrahan, Healy, Bleyendaal, Flannery

      Centre: De Allende, Farrell, Scannell, Goggin, Arnold, McHenry

      Back 3: Earls, Conway, Haley, Daly, Gallagher, Nash, Wooton, Sweetnam, Coombes.


      Looking stacked in the back row and at 10, overall really positive and with a bit of luck around fitness could be really competitive. One of the few spots you could look for something would be tighthead? Real quality slightly missing, Archer and Ryan are good players but not quite up there. Everywhere else players are definitely international standard.
      are they all signed up for next season or are there more re-signings still to be announced.

      would love a genuine test quality openside as well.

      Comment


        Originally posted by LimerickRugbyFan View Post
        Squad for next season, I'd assume there will be a few departures but this is what we are looking at at the moment including a few academy lads who have gotten a run or hopefully will:

        Prop: Kilcoyne, Archer, Ryan, Loughman, J Cronin, Parker, L O'Connor, Knox

        Hooker: Scannell, Marshall, O'Byrne, Barron

        2nd Row: Snyman, Klyen, Wycherly, Holland, S O'Connor, Ahern, O'Shea

        Back Row: Beirne, O'Mahony, Stander, O'Donoghue, Botha, Cloete, O'Donnell, O'Sullivan, Coombes, Oliver.

        Scrum Half: Murray, Casey, N Cronin, McCarthy

        Out Half: Carbery, Hanrahan, Healy, Bleyendaal, Flannery

        Centre: De Allende, Farrell, Scannell, Goggin, Arnold, McHenry

        Back 3: Earls, Conway, Haley, Daly, Gallagher, Nash, Wooton, Sweetnam, Coombes.


        Looking stacked in the back row and at 10, overall really positive and with a bit of luck around fitness could be really competitive. One of the few spots you could look for something would be tighthead? Real quality slightly missing, Archer and Ryan are good players but not quite up there. Everywhere else players are definitely international standard.
        Stacked at 10 is somewhat illusory. Senior minutes played Ever/last year gives a very different impression of the strength we have, promise, certainly- but hardly depth. The same goes for 9, unless McCarthy shows us more over the next few weeks.

        So much depends on how about 10 younger players develop- they show huge promise, and if they deliver on it, there are happy days ahead. Great signings, Really hope Gallagher is better than Haley, if he is then we have something special to look forward to (because I think Haley is himself a really decent player).

        Comment


          Matt Gallagher is Irish qualified and good competition for Haley

          Comment


            Originally posted by hellovating View Post

            are they all signed up for next season or are there more re-signings still to be announced.

            would love a genuine test quality openside as well.
            botha is gone at the end of the season i think
            "If all the wild horsemen of the apocalypse came around the corner O'Mahony would charge straight back at them."
            Will Greenwood

            Comment


              Originally posted by TheCorkexile View Post
              Matt Gallagher is Irish qualified and good competition for Haley
              Presumably that also means even less opportunity for Conway at FB, his opportunities for Ireland and us, will be limited to wing- and Haley will be looking out wide as well, as will Daly etc. Back 3 will be very competitive.

              Comment


                Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

                Presumably that also means even less opportunity for Conway at FB, his opportunities for Ireland and us, will be limited to wing- and Haley will be looking out wide as well, as will Daly etc. Back 3 will be very competitive.
                I think as a back 3 unit, our strongest combination is earls and Conway on the wings with Hayley at fullback. I'd like to see more of Conway at FB but he certainly doesn't weaken us on the wing. He's probably the form winger in the country at the moment.
                When things go wrong, blame McGahan

                Comment


                  Originally posted by LimerickRugbyFan View Post

                  Still doesn't make it a good signing? Plenty of depth in the back three as is and doesn't add any huge improvement? Although I would love to be proven wrong
                  Our main starter this season at FB is Haley. He started well early this season but his level dropped a bit. He's a decent player but still not sure how much he can improve. Therefore Gallagher could work out well as long as he turns out to be a class but foremost a constant and reliable player.

                  Comment


                    Huge welcome to the three lads!! RG and De Allende are the most high profile and high quality signings since Dougie in my opinion. Got to be pushing for European cups now.

                    Comment


                      Great signings as everyone agrees.... Two beasts....

                      we might have to change the crest though, maybe the Stag to a Bok.....

                      Johann Van Grann
                      CJ, Cloete, Botha, Knox, Kleyne, RG & Snyman....

                      are Cloete and Botha here next year?
                      He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post

                        Our main starter this season at FB is Haley. He started well early this season but his level dropped a bit. He's a decent player but still not sure how much he can improve. Therefore Gallagher could work out well as long as he turns out to be a class but foremost a constant and reliable player.
                        i was a fan of Haley until the Racing game when towards the end of the first half he had men outside him and he kicked - I couldnt believe it. It was as if he lost his nerve and his belief and seemed to have just kicked away Munster's chance to rattle Racing. The contrast with Racing when they had a sniff seemed to show a gulf in belief (or maybe class).
                        ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                        Originally Posted by mr chips
                        AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                        Comment


                          RG Snyman is a huge plus for the pack
                          The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

                            i was a fan of Haley until the Racing game when towards the end of the first half he had men outside him and he kicked - I couldnt believe it. It was as if he lost his nerve and his belief and seemed to have just kicked away Munster's chance to rattle Racing. The contrast with Racing when they had a sniff seemed to show a gulf in belief (or maybe class).
                            He can sometimes seem flustered, but has made big strides this year, albeit has dropped off a bit recently. That Racing back line, by contrast, has ice in its veins- but that is what we should be aspiring to, do fair point.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by JN.Allezdax.com View Post
                              RG Snyman is a huge plus for the pack
                              Damian De Allende a huge omen for the backs too
                              "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                              Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

                              Comment


                                Good article from Murray Kinsella who mentions that a "private investor" is funding the 2 lads. Many thanks!!!

                                https://www.the42.ie/de-allende-snym...87926-Jan2020/

                                Also some great clips he posted on Twitter

                                https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/...883863552?s=19

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X