New Signings and Departures 2017 - 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Of course it should matter. Players develop on different trajectories, and have different ceilings. Allowing, for simplicity sake, that Ably is at his best (it doesn’t matter), how would a player below that level currently suddenly become better because a player ahead of them leaves. Current ability or the aptitude/potential for being better isn’t a matter of opportunity or motivation.
    how long do we keep him though? You improve by playing. Alby will only ever be short term. He did a great job but his role is finished. Anything he can pass on should have happened already and now the best thing for all the other 9s is to be playing pro14 and not ne not playing because alby ia here. You just have to trust your own players at some stage. That time has to be now.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
      how long do we keep him though? You improve by playing. Alby will only ever be short term. He did a great job but his role is finished. Anything he can pass on should have happened already and now the best thing for all the other 9s is to be playing pro14 and not ne not playing because alby ia here. You just have to trust your own players at some stage. That time has to be now.
      For the record, it is with regret that I will see Alby leaving, and I was responding to the issue of his potential role as a coach I was questioning.

You have a very odd idea of how you learn/train. Were you the finished article when you did your leaving, did your teachers impart all that they had to give, and did it stay with you until you had the opportunity to test yourself? Why do most high level kickers/ golfers have coaches?
      Last edited by jagawayagain; 8th-November-2019, 18:32.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

For the record, it is with reheat that I will see Alby leaving, and I was responding to the issue of his potential role as a coach I was questioning.

You have a very odd idea of how you learn/train. Were you the finished article when you did your leaving, did your teachers impart all that they had to give, and did it stay with you until you had the opportunity to test yourself? Why do most high level kickers/ golfers have coaches?
        and these players will still have coaches and a test lion with dozens of international caps to learn from in training.
        these players should have learned plenty from the guy who's been here over the past season but say McCarthy with 40+ pro appearances he will learn far more playing more on the pitch than behind alby. I'm not saying any of them are near finished articles. World cup is over we have Murray back. Thanks alby for some great work but time to move on and we can give that game time to others. Murray will be around and can assist in development of others at training.
        How log do you want him to stay. When should he move on if you are going on about impact about players and finished articles?

Comment

I understand why Alby has to leave. We have IQ players to develop.

My concern is whether McCarthy or Cronin are up to the required standard. Casey looks the real deal but needs another year or two before he’ll be ready to start HEC games. In the meantime, we’ll be relying on one or both of the aforementioned lads and I just hope they can deliver what Alby could.

The reality is that having journeyman back-up players in key positions doesn’t cut it at the highest level. You need ridiculous depth these days.

Comment

I think Alby was the key to our win in Cardiff last week, he kept the tempo high throughout the match and was a calm head for the younger players, not to mention getting his name on the scoresheet. IMHO, he's a vital cog for us when the internationals are unavailable.
            When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

It's a real shame how Alby's been treated imho, he's been one of best signings in a while and he can't get any certainty on his future. It's tough dragging your family around Europe on short term contracts. Being honest, I'm not sure what McCarthy offers that Cronin doesn't. It seems a very strange signing. I'd just as soon as have Alby as number one in Murray's absence with Casey or Cronin on the bench and being brutally honest he's been better than Murray for some time. https://punditarena.com/rugby/kenned...hewson-future/

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post
                It's a real shame how Alby's been treated imho, he's been one of best signings in a while and he can't get any certainty on his future. It's tough dragging your family around Europe on short term contracts. Being honest, I'm not sure what McCarthy offers that Cronin doesn't. It seems a very strange signing. I'd just as soon as have Alby as number one in Murray's absence with Casey or Cronin on the bench and being brutally honest he's been better than Murray for some time. https://punditarena.com/rugby/kenned...hewson-future/
                I don’t think anyone has treated him badly- he said himself he originally came for four months, and understood the circumstances- says he has nothing lined up for after this, but also gives the impression he isn’t definitely going. The uncertainty, and being without family, must be tough. Agree with you on McCarthy, would be great if he came good, but I just don’t see it.

Comment

I feel for the guy but he hasn’t been badly treated. Always been clear that this was temporary and ultimately he got much more time with us than originally promised.

Would be delighted to see him get a contract somewhere, but not with our rivals in the Pro14 because he’s so bloody good!

That said, I’d prefer we had Murray, him, Cronin and Casey as our SHs this year. No disrespect to McCarthy but Alby’s better and Cronin is home grown.

Comment

I think the fact that they will not give him a yes or a no regarding a contract extension is treating him badly if you look at it from a human level.

Comment

I think the fact that they will not give him a yes or a no regarding a contract extension is treating him badly if you look at it from a human level.
                      Part of me hopes they have offered him an extension, but no one is allowed mention it just yet....another extension would cause a lot of consternation outside of Munster

Comment

At this point I don't want him to get another extension with us if its only for a few months. He is a superb player & won't bring his family over for an extension of under a year. I'd love if another team spotted his immense ability & offered him a 2 year contract so he could bring his family over. Can't imagine how tough that is for the guy.

Comment

Very decent of you to drag yourself up to that level.

Comment

The fact that Alby hasn't got a definite "No" would seem to indicate that there is a chance of him staying on.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                              The fact that Alby hasn't got a definite "No" would seem to indicate that there is a chance of him staying on.
                              That was my reading of what he said, if you’ll pardon the rather clumsy phrasing.

Comment

Journal.ie is saying he finishes nov 23. Still hoping that somehow he gets to stay on....

Comment

Working...
                                X