No announcement yet.

New Signings and Departures 2017 - 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahern is a brilliant player, for his age, delighted he played well last night
    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Perico View Post

Fineen played loosehead lock, OShea (and Gavin Coombes in 2nd half) played tight head.
      Sean O'Connor and young Ahern also got some time at lock. The latter is a bit of whippet. when he fills out he'll be huge!
      Thanks for the info. It did surprise me that Fineen might pack down behind the tighthead, as I think he's definitely shorter than the usual height of someone playing there. Just looking up the stats for Coombes, I didn't realise he's that big - 6'6" and 17 stone/110kg. I only remember seeing him listed to play at 6 or 8 before now, but I don't get to see much of the younger lads - has he played at lock before, and if so would he be a genuine prospect there?

Also interested in how Seán O'Connor and Darren O'Shea got on last night, if anyone who was there noticed any standout moments from either of them.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post

Thanks for the info. It did surprise me that Fineen might pack down behind the tighthead, as I think he's definitely shorter than the usual height of someone playing there. Just looking up the stats for Coombes, I didn't realise he's that big - 6'6" and 17 stone/110kg. I only remember seeing him listed to play at 6 or 8 before now, but I don't get to see much of the younger lads - has he played at lock before, and if so would he be a genuine prospect there?

Also interested in how Seán O'Connor and Darren O'Shea got on last night, if anyone who was there noticed any standout moments from either of them.
        O'Shea called the lineouts. Took 2 or 3 catches on himself. He hit rucks and carried well.
        O'Conner was lively in defence. In what was a busy attacking second half, he did not stand out particularly.

Casey was standout, noticeably better than Cronin and McCarthy going forward. A lot of the tries scored on his watch.
        Barron, Coombes on the wing, O'Sullivan (most notably), Hodnett, and Knox all performed well on debuts.
        Healy only had a few minutes.
        Nash and Daly looked to have bulked up. Both looked good.
        Goggin was good very direct.
        McHenry was lively, made a couple of good scramble tackles. Had one knock on off a pass to his feet.

The warm-up was interesting too...
        Larkam did a lot with the backs (Aussie Rules catching, evasion drills ) but also with the forwards (short no look pop passing within the tramlines which was evident during the game,
        he did kick offs to forward catching pods).

All in all, promising stuff... albeit against weaker opposition than usual, with more subs.

Comment

Thanks perico, very interesting- especially comments on warm up, felix and fla were usually very much in evidence in the warm-up, but sounds like the drills have changed. How did the various 10s go?

Comment

That's great feedback, fair play Perico. Encouraging to see that O'Shea was calling the lineouts and calling some to himself. As you say, there's a big caveat with this being a pre-season friendly but it's encouraging to see signs of evolution in our playing style and confidence in our younger/fringe players. I'm not surprised that Casey outshone the other 9s, I think he has a great career ahead of him. Can't teach attitude and he has the right one.
            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
              Thanks perico, very interesting- especially comments on warm up, felix and fla were usually very much in evidence in the warm-up, but sounds like the drills have changed. How did the various 10s go?
              Tyler was with Cronin in the 1st half. As usual his passing was decent. They teamed up to turn over one ruck in front of the stand. Earned a penalty to get the crowd going. He popped a couple of balls from the deck out of the tackle to close support.

JJ was with Casey in 2nd half. He did well with the service. Although, Casey varied the receivers a lot, popping short to close in runners. This wirh the pop passes was a feature of the night. O'Sullivan broke through at midfield on one flat pop from Casey in the lead up to JJs try.
              Barron, Coombes (the bigger) also took some of these. JJ had time show his passing skills. He missed 2 conversions.

Healy did really have time to do much. McCarthy was on at that stage. He did ok.

At one point in the 1st half, O'Byrne threw a no look pass behind his back to a looping centre (gasps... we didn't know where the ball went!)

Comment

Thank you again, while we’ll all have a lot of attention on Japan over the next few weeks, the next weeks dragons game and our opening PRO14 fixtures will be very interesting- thanks for whetting our appetite.

Comment

Originally posted by Perico View Post

Tyler was with Cronin in the 1st half. As usual his passing was decent. They teamed up to turn over one ruck in front of the stand. Earned a penalty to get the crowd going. He popped a couple of balls from the deck out of the tackle to close support.

JJ was with Casey in 2nd half. He did well with the service. Although, Casey varied the receivers a lot, popping short to close in runners. This wirh the pop passes was a feature of the night. O'Sullivan broke through at midfield on one flat pop from Casey in the lead up to JJs try.
                  Barron, Coombes (the bigger) also took some of these. JJ had time show his passing skills. He missed 2 conversions.

Healy did really have time to do much. McCarthy was on at that stage. He did ok.

At one point in the 1st half, O'Byrne threw a no look pass behind his back to a looping centre (gasps... we didn't know where the ball went!)
                  Was at the game and O'Byrnes pass happened in front of us- Classy piece of play #SonnyBillByrne
                  "If all the wild horsemen of the apocalypse came around the corner O'Mahony would charge straight back at them."
                  Will Greenwood

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	156
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	2577380
                    "If all the wild horsemen of the apocalypse came around the corner O'Mahony would charge straight back at them."
                    Will Greenwood

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Fantastic View Post
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	156
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	2577380
                      Doesn’t have a work permit yet according to JVG. Holland and Wycherley in the second row this weekend, possibly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      \"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

The IT (Thornley) reporting that we've signed Damian de Allende. Apparently joining next summer on a 2 year deal after a season in Japan. https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug...ason-1.4072040

Comment

Bull of a man.

A dougie howlett level signing if it comes off
                          I am the million man.

Comment

Jesus, I thought he looked very average. A bit non-plussed by this
                            When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Both he and Farrell wold be a top pairing

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                                Bull of a man.

A dougie howlett level signing if it comes off
                                If this is true it’s brilliant news!

Comment

Working...
                                X