No announcement yet.

New Signings and Departures 2017 - 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a young 10 he needs game time . To realize his potential he needs to move .
    Munster have let a good few lads go this year but that cull isn’t the norm . IMHO there have been too many players held who weren’t going to make it.
    Dillane left for Connacht to get games , Conway went to Munster to get game time , Farrell also left Ireland to get game time . Joey & Loughman also
    Its what’s needed and better for the players
    When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

BJ is a far better player than McPhillips. I wouldn't be surprised if he is first choice in Ulster within a short period. Hope Munster have agreed a deal to take him back after two years.
      Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Let's be honest here - Tyler and JJ haven't had stellar seasons. B.J. still couldn't force his way past them.

That means only one of two possibilities:

1/. He was ignored deliberately.

or

2/. He simply wasn't good enough to merit selection.
        Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post
          BJ is a far better player than McPhillips. I wouldn't be surprised if he is first choice in Ulster within a short period. Hope Munster have agreed a deal to take him back after two years.
          Why would you have expected Ulster to allow him back in two years ? Munster weren’t going to develop Joey for two years and let him back to Dublin
          When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Of course Ulster wouldn't want to be seen as a development pathway for Munster. But the players must have some choice in what happens. Or do they? Tbh I have no idea what terms are in their contracts. Is Nucifora involved in all the juggling of players? I just hope BJ is moving for game time and wants to come back as I rated him highly.
            Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post
              Of course Ulster wouldn't want to be seen as a development pathway for Munster. But the players must have some choice in what happens. Or do they? Tbh I have no idea what terms are in their contracts. Is Nucifora involved in all the juggling of players? I just hope BJ is moving for game time and wants to come back as I rated him highly.
              He can go wherever he wants once his contract is up.

If there was a mandatory return clause it would be a player loan.

IRFU have to approve everything btw.
              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Hopefully this will lead to Healy getting a shot next year. Everything I have heard about him is that he is a fantastic prospect. I'd love to see the 4 we now have stay for the next couple of years and allow Healy to progress, few games next year and then hopefully in the next two or three years progress ahead of Tyler and JJ, get rid of one of them and then bring back Fitzergerald or BJ?

Have to say its interesting that between the ages of 21 and 24 we have produced by my count 4 out halves playing pro rugby outside of the province now next year, Bill Johnson (Ulster?), Conor Fitzgerald (Connacht), Tomas Quinlan (Narbonne) and Gearoid Lyons (Nottingham) granted that the second two are at a slightly lower level. Wondering if this is a sign of the health of the academy or why are we not producing the players at the next level that we need to?

Comment

What's sauce for the Goose is sauce for the Gander.

That's the way it is now.
                  Players will move for game time to enhance their careers.

Joey, Jordi and McGrath are the best examples but our new SH McCarthy is proof that it applies at all levels.

It's disappointing but injuries were the main factor that impacted on BJ. Munster stood by him but he wasn't prepared to wait. We have to suck it up and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by LimerickRugbyFan View Post
                    Hopefully this will lead to Healy getting a shot next year. Everything I have heard about him is that he is a fantastic prospect. I'd love to see the 4 we now have stay for the next couple of years and allow Healy to progress, few games next year and then hopefully in the next two or three years progress ahead of Tyler and JJ, get rid of one of them and then bring back Fitzergerald or BJ?

Have to say its interesting that between the ages of 21 and 24 we have produced by my count 4 out halves playing pro rugby outside of the province now next year, Bill Johnson (Ulster?), Conor Fitzgerald (Connacht), Tomas Quinlan (Narbonne) and Gearoid Lyons (Nottingham) granted that the second two are at a slightly lower level. Wondering if this is a sign of the health of the academy or why are we not producing the players at the next level that we need to?
                    We said the same about Bill Johnston, and the same about JJ before. For various reasons we have not managed to turn either into our undisputed starting OH (yet, anyway). Hopefully it pans out differently for Healy (who did do very well in the U20 6 nations this year).
                    Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

This is a good move for BJ, he has far more about him than Burns and I can see him being lucky and becoming first choice up there within a year. Best of luck to him. We hung our hat on Carbery for the long term and we have Tyler and JJ who can handle league games and the international window.

Comment

As I an Ulsterfan I know little about Johnston apart from the posts here suggesting that he is talented but has suffered from injuries. Inter-province movement seems to be more common that it has ever been and it can be hard to get used to, particularly if one feels that one is on the wrong end of the move eg Leinster fans reaction to Jack McGrath coming to Ulster. While I understand your disappointment it is the same disappointment that we see when, for example, Farrell gets Ireland caps after he signs for you guys. It just seems to be the way it is. We have Burns, McPhillips, Lowry and now Johnston. He probably has a better chance of getting some game time with us than he did with you although at this stage it looks like he will be battling with McPhillips to be third choice

Comment

promsandwich he was ahead of mcphillips for 2 years and under 20 and captained Ireland schools. He’s a good bit more about him Than mcphillips

Comment

Suppose looking at it now, with Carbery & JJ still relatively quite young, 23 & 26, I think it was probably deemed having another 23 year old fly half was too much. A relatively older TB would be more preferencial. Don’t like losing young players though, who probably didn’t get a fair shake TBH. Looks like JJ got the nod over him. Hope Johnson does well in Ulster. Big opportunity for him.
                            "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Well lets hope he can kick on and take his chance when it arises. McPhillips has not really convinced in the chances he has got, Lowry hasn't been tried at 10 although most Ulster fans would like to see him there and Burns, despite being first choice, has not inspired the fans up here as yet. So he has a real opportunity to get the starting 10 berth, which probably couldn't be said if he had stayed with you, particularly with Carberry there.

Comment

Can't have it all our own way. Fair for both Ulster and Johnston.
                                Sorry to see him go though.
                                The problem with this world is there are too many snakes... and not enough Ladders!
                                Originally posted by joconnell
                                If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Comment

Working...
                                X