• Show
Clear All

Yeah bad news day ,times reporting Bill J off to ulster
    https://twitter.com/IrishTimesSport/...334227970?s=19
    Still there's a light I hold before me
    You're the measure of my dreams
    The measure of my dreams.

Comment

If true, this would be one of the most disappointing departures in years. Hanrahan leaving a few years ago was a blow, but at least he was given some game time, to show what he could do. Johnston hasn't been given a sniff. I think the Munster management need to act quickly. If Johnston can't see a pathway, there's a good chance that other academy players feel the same.
      With all the departures, does anybody realistically think we'll win the champions cup next season? I would rather we had a transition year, than another season where we get to semi-final with a limited attack and sparse opportunities given to youngsters. I think a top-6 finish would be a success if we could finally develop top-level attacking structures and give academy guys much-needed game time.

Comment

I can't ever remember being this angry with the branch. This is a ****ing shambles. Here's a guy with bucket loads of potential moving because of a lack of game time. And it's made worse when you look who he's stuck behind. Two journeymen. This is a complete mismanagement of resources.

Comment

Originally posted by TomsOnTheRoof View Post
          I can't ever remember being this angry with the branch. This is a ****ing shambles. Here's a guy with bucket loads of potential moving because of a lack of game time. And it's made worse when you look who he's stuck behind. Two journeymen. This is a complete mismanagement of resources.
          Here’s a wild thought, maybe just maybe BJ sees himself as someone who wants to be a starting 10, just like Carbery. Right now, best case scenario the position he’s fighting for is the back up 10, forget about JJ and TB. Carbery is 23 years of age, Johnston is 22. I imagine he might see Carbery as the biggest issue. He could challenge for the starting spot in Ulster, but he knows that’s unlikely here and Carbery isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. At best he’s looking at benching and being a squad player, maybe he, like Carbery, has greater ambitions. He’s a talented young player who’s had a horrendous injury record, it shouldn’t be any surprise that he doesn’t want to spend time fighting for a bench spot when he could be fighting for first team selection in Ulster.

We signed Carbery, who left Leinster because of lack of opportunity but you can’t then be surprised and pissed off when a Munster player does the same thing.

Is it disappointing? Yes. Do I wish he would stay? Absolutely, he’s a fantastic young player...but so is Carbery. I believe this is a consequence of signing Carbery. There has been and will be so many positives from signing Joey but it was always going to have an negative impact somewhere down the line. Before we signed Carbery, BJ probably saw a clear path for his future at Munster that he could navigate, but with Carbery, not JJ or TB, his path is blocked. You can’t fault him for having greater ambitions than being number 22 and making a decision based on his future long term.

As for the “journeymen”, we are in the semi final of the Pro 14 because of the contributions from those players.
          Last edited by Stringer9; 8th-May-2019, 00:11.
          The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Less than 400 minutes in 3 seasons with Munster. He would have been foolish to waste another season being 4th choice. Big decision choosing Tyler and JJ ahead of him. Two players who have not been great.

JVG has to spread the workload around the squad more evenly. You have some players being overworked while others who are frustrated at the lack of games. Wouldn't surprise me to see Nash leave too.

Comment

This is a result of retaining of JJ, Tyler and Joey in one year. Sometimes you have to make choices and from a succession planning viewpoint I feel we have consistently failed our young players by having too large a depth chart in certain positions
              Last edited by tiernster; 8th-May-2019, 06:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post

Here’s a wild thought, maybe just maybe BJ sees himself as someone who wants to be a starting 10, just like Carbery. Right now, best case scenario the position he’s fighting for is the back up 10, forget about JJ and TB. Carbery is 23 years of age, Johnston is 22. I imagine he might see Carbery as the biggest issue. He could challenge for the starting spot in Ulster, but he knows that’s unlikely here and Carbery isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. At best he’s looking at benching and being a squad player, maybe he, like Carbery, has greater ambitions. He’s a talented young player who’s had a horrendous injury record, it shouldn’t be any surprise that he doesn’t want to spend time fighting for a bench spot when he could be fighting for first team selection in Ulster.

We signed Carbery, who left Leinster because of lack of opportunity but you can’t then be surprised and pissed off when a Munster player does the same thing.

Is it disappointing? Yes. Do I wish he would stay? Absolutely, he’s a fantastic young player...but so is Carbery. I believe this is a consequence of signing Carbery. There has been and will be so many positives from signing Joey but it was always going to have an negative impact somewhere down the line. Before we signed Carbery, BJ probably saw a clear path for his future at Munster that he could navigate, but with Carbery, not JJ or TB, his path is blocked. You can’t fault him for having greater ambitions than being number 22 and making a decision based on his future long term.

As for the “journeymen”, we are in the semi final of the Pro 14 because of the contributions from those players.
                Sensible stuff- and like everyone else I’d have liked to see more of him in a Munster shirt- but realistically he’s fighting for a bench spot at 10 against TB and JJ, and that limits the opportunities he has, unless we make a strategic decision to play them less. His best chance would have been Autumn next year, with the maximum benching most weeks with TB and JJ starting benching alternate games- even if the coaches had decided to go with that, JC comes back and then he’s alternating with two others on the bench. As it’s Healy who has that opportunity- if BJ stayed, was he next to go?

Most of us were here glad to see TB retained, if surprised that he was seen a good enough bet fitness-wise, the only way for things to look brighter for BJ then was for JJ to leave. Most of us want to see him play well consistently for Munster- and hopefully we’ve seen that consistency finally start. Building squad depth- not just numbers but quality- which we needed to do, inevitably means the works start to gum up.

To free this up I think we desperately need a proper a-competition, and failing that, maybe as well as that, we should be investing money to cover friendlies the day before/after HCUP in the same city as those fixtures against same opponents.

Comment

A bit ****e news, but not surprising, we need to give our academy prospects a better chance. Squad is simply too big. And can’t help but feel we over play our 1st team players.
                  "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Ulster have Johnny McPhillips, who played in the same under 20 team as BJ and looked to me to be a better player than BJ. But he has not kicked on even though given a few chances. He can be best pleased.

As the 4th choice it is the right decision to move a on hopefully he gets the game time to prove himself.
                    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

If a player is good enough they'll force their way into starting lineups I think.

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Good move for the lad, best of luck to him. It's a shame we couldn't hang on to him but we can't complain having nabbed Joey from Leinster.
                        When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by KerryRed View Post
                          A bit ****e news, but not surprising, we need to give our academy prospects a better chance. Squad is simply too big. And can’t help but feel we over play our 1st team players.
                          The squad is too big for the number of games we have to play- but we need a large squad to cover internationals, injuries and to bring players through. We need more games, so that players can play and we can resolve some of the issues around who should be first, second etc choice.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

The squad is too big for the number of games we have to play- but we need a large squad to cover internationals, injuries and to bring players through. We need more games, so that players can play and we can resolve some of the issues around who should be first, second etc choice.
                            The situation is unlikely to improve as the League becomes more important and it becomes riskier to take chances.

​​​​​​Wonder if there is a plan for a thinner squad and greater use of academy players? Very difficult to get the balance right
                            ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                            AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by KerryRed View Post
                              Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

The situation is unlikely to improve as the League becomes more important and it becomes riskier to take chances.

​​​​​​Wonder if there is a plan for a thinner squad and greater use of academy players? Very difficult to get the balance right
                              We have 8 players leaving and 1 coming in, plus 2 leaving the academy to return home. The senior squad is down to 43 plus Alby. If BJ leaves it's 9 out. That's as lean as you get.

Comment

Bill was always likely to leave at some stage once we signed Joey. I hoped we’d let one of Tyler or JJ go and keep him on for a bit longer but once they were both signed that was that. Stuck behind three senior OHs, Johnston risked stalling his career completely, which is absolutely fatal for a young 10.

In Ulster he can compete with McPhillips for 2nd choice and won’t be long challenging Burns I’d say. He’s a quality player and they play a brand of rugby that will suit him.

At least we have Healy coming through next. His timing is probably slightly better.

Comment

Working...
                                X