New Signings and Departures 2017 - 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
    Perhaps it is too simplistic, and I hope he turns out to be that exceptional a player.

However the coach is faced with a difficult choice- risk losing winnable games while a young player gains experience, and leave out guys currently good enough to win that fixture- in the hope that a promising player will nail down a starting position and go on to be truly outstanding.

Maybe Casey is a class above JJ, but I feel we’ve been in that situation with him- an outstanding prospect didn’t get the opportunities he wanted, blew hot and cold when he did, decided he’d be better off elsewhere- turned out not to be, comes back- but still doesn’t do well enough to nail down the bench spot- let alone start. I was very disappointed to see JJ go, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it was a mistake. Casey may be an even better player- and maybe Munster need to learn a lesson- but it’s far from an easy matter.
    JJ is now looking like he could fulfil his promise. Should start against Leinster.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
      Think we have to really carefully manage Casey, Johnston (if he stays), Healy, French, Daly and Wren over the next couple of seasons.

We have the makings of a quality home grown backline there and we can’t waste them. We have to make sure they get games and have every opportunity to show what they can do. If we want to play an expansive game, all those lads have the skills and pace to do so.
      Get some exceptional backs and skills coaches and the results will come. Much cheaper than Big name stars.....

Comment

Agreed but I'd prefer he was selected ahead of Tyler
        Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

JJ is now looking like he could fulfil his promise. Should start against Leinster.
          JJ has played well off the bench, but as of yet hasn't done anything to suggest he's better that Tyler.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post

I would have started him against Benetton, because he has added something when he came off the bench the last few games. I would love it, for his sake and ours, if this was the real dawning of JJs ability to deliver consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

JJ has played well off the bench, but as of yet hasn't done anything to suggest he's better that Tyler.
              There’s no clear front runner for me- despite all the chopping and changing this season- nor has either of them been the 10 we need to get further in the HCUP. Unless the preseason makes the difference we’re presumably heading into the same next season.

Comment

Think we have to really carefully manage Casey, Johnston (if he stays), Healy, French, Daly and Wren over the next couple of seasons.

We have the makings of a quality home grown backline there and we can’t waste them. We have to make sure they get games and have every opportunity to show what they can do. If we want to play an expansive game, all those lads have the skills and pace to do so.
                Add Calvin Nash to that list - I get a feeling from him that he has huge potential but needs games. Looks physically hardy too, Another young player we seem to forget as such is Sam Arnold.

Comment

Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post

Add Calvin Nash to that list - I get a feeling from him that he has huge potential but needs games. Looks physically hardy too, Another young player we seem to forget as such is Sam Arnold.
                  For one reason or another, prior to his injury Sammy has had a fair bit of game time- and while he’s solid and combative but shoots out of the defensive line and isn’t particularly penetrative in attack. I doubt he’d be a starter at any of the other provinces, let alone the teams that are substantially ahead of us. It might be that someone at 12 who carried a real attacking threat (I like Scannell but I’m afraid he doesn’t), would bring more out of Sammy. Mind you, someone like that would get more out of Farrell too.

Comment

Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post

Agree on Nash. Looks very useful.

Not convinced about Sammy myself. Hard running and aggressive but hasn’t shown a great deal of skill or the ability to beat men very often. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong.

Comment

Reports that Leinster were tapping up Casey. I’d say they would have loved to get a little retaliation in for Joey.

Comment

Reports that Leinster were tapping up Casey. I’d say they would have loved to get a little retaliation in for Joey.
                        Easy to say that’s outrageous (except from Casey’s point of view). But earlier I cheekily raised the possibility that Bill J might go to Leinster- how would we feel about that?

Comment

Easy to say that’s outrageous (except from Casey’s point of view). But earlier I cheekily raised the possibility that Bill J might go to Leinster- how would we feel about that?
                          Would not be a good move for him as he would still get behind others there but he won’t be going to Leinster.

Comment

I wouldn't call it outrageous TBH. We have gone after their lads so we can't complain, and Connacht did it with Dillane so it's not a new thing.

If Bill decides to go there to get game time I wouldn't complain at all. I'd just be a bit disappointed to lose such a promising young player. Have said before that I think we have one too many OHs ahead of him so I wouldn't blame him. Healy is coming up behind him as well.

Comment

I wouldn't call it outrageous TBH. We have gone after their lads so we can't complain, and Connacht did it with Dillane so it's not a new thing.

If Bill decides to go there to get game time I wouldn't complain at all. I'd just be a bit disappointed to lose such a promising young player. Have said before that I think we have one too many OHs ahead of him so I wouldn't blame him. Healy is coming up behind him as well.
                              Ah FFS, he’s off to Ulster. This has not been a good evening.

Comment

So that’s Jones and Fla gone and Johnston reportedly off to Ulster, there’s 20 minutes left in the day, anyone else got more fun news?
                                The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Working...
                                X