Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Signings and Departures 2017 - 2018

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by tiernster View Post
    Agree with Mumhain on the log jams that exist at munster. Happen to think Gavin Coombes hasn't got enough gametime for a similar reason.

    Love Alby but he shouldn't have been extended, if 4 pros can't cope with a few weeks in the league when everyone else also has depleted squads we are in a worse position than I think.

    If I was Bill Johnston I would be leaving this summer,

    Stephen Fitzgerald the perfect example of why he should go. I also felt one of JJ and Tyler shouldn't have been retained. For me we have too many strong players and not enough standouts. Allow our young players to fill out the back of a squad and use the savings on a marquee outside back
    I've heard Bill is moving to another province next season.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Redcafe1 View Post

      I've heard Bill is moving to another province next season.
      Unlike others Im not convinced how good Bill is - and he hasn't really been given the chance (understandably with all.tfe players in front of him) to prove it.

      Whilst it didn't work out for JJ going to Northampton, it would be be good to see Bill going somewhere which guaranteed him game time and if he is a real talent get the chance to show it
      ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

      Originally Posted by mr chips
      AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

      Comment


        Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
        Between retirements and transfers we're down ~20% in the senior squad.

        We're either in the middle of a serious cash crisis or Johann is ready to splash some cash.
        Or we've finally trimmed our seriously bloated squad down to something manageable.

        Comment


          Originally posted by tiernster View Post
          Agree with Mumhain on the log jams that exist at munster. Happen to think Gavin Coombes hasn't got enough gametime for a similar reason.

          Love Alby but he shouldn't have been extended, if 4 pros can't cope with a few weeks in the league when everyone else also has depleted squads we are in a worse position than I think.

          If I was Bill Johnston I would be leaving this summer,

          Stephen Fitzgerald the perfect example of why he should go. I also felt one of JJ and Tyler shouldn't have been retained. For me we have too many strong players and not enough standouts. Allow our young players to fill out the back of a squad and use the savings on a marquee outside back
          This is it in a nutshell for me. The only way we're going to get more world-class players is by developing them - which involves giving them a lot game time. In twelve months’ time we could be looking at Irish International Craig Casey(yes, he's that good) or a disgruntled young player looking for more game time.

          I think we are in a pretty similar position at scrum-half, to where Leinster were at fly-half, three years ago. Madigan and Gopperth had left, leaving Sexton as the only experienced 10. Leinster backed Carbery and Byrne as their second choice 10's. 12 months later they had an international in Carbery and a guy pushing for international recognition - Ross Byrne.

          Would agree about adding another back-three player. At the moment, none of our back-three players really provide that point of difference to threaten opposition defences. Keith Earls is world-class. You know what you'll get from Conway, Sweetnam and Haley, but it's not exactly a back-three that instills fear into opposition.

          With Newcastle relegated, Sinoti Sinoti should be available, but is 33. Not sure what Ioane and Tavuyara's contract situations are at Benetton, but they are the type of players we should be after.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Redcafe1 View Post

            I've heard Bill is moving to another province next season.
            This is disappointing if true, whilst I’m sure not even he would have wished it, TBs recovery and return to playing has left BJ sitting fourth in a bit of a taxi rank- as I’ve said before the coaches have done a decent job juggling- but that doesn’t get anyone consistent game time, which is what BJ needs to establish himself. That’s not to say I want to see him go- just that I want to see him play- if that’s not for us then for someone else.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

              This is it in a nutshell for me. The only way we're going to get more world-class players is by developing them - which involves giving them a lot game time. In twelve months’ time we could be looking at Irish International Craig Casey(yes, he's that good) or a disgruntled young player looking for more...:
              I don’t care how good a young player is- or an older one for that matter- it’s a team game. If Casey is disgruntled in 12 months time because he’s not starting or benching having been given the opportunities to show what he can do in training and what games are available, then I wouldn’t be losing too much sleep over him. I want players to be desperate to play, ambitious for what they can achieve, but no one is entitled to play- you earn your chance and then make it impossible for people to drop you.

              all of that said- a bit like the possibility of BJ moving, We seem overstocked with decent players, at least in some positions, but few that you would say are outstanding. JVG etc rightly, I think, give all the guys a crack at playing, but the downside of this is that guys much know they might start a couple in a row, at most, but will then rotate off. At OH, neither Tyler nor JJ made themselves undroppable, and because of that we got an endless rotation -in the hope one of them would really convince. The absence of a decent a completion has made this more complicated- but we need to find some way for guys to feel they will get an occasional opportunity to play- but no real opportunity to claim that jersey.

              Comment


                Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

                This is disappointing if true, whilst I’m sure not even he would have wished it, TBs recovery and return to playing has left BJ sitting fourth in a bit of a taxi rank- as I’ve said before the coaches have done a decent job juggling- but that doesn’t get anyone consistent game time, which is what BJ needs to establish himself. That’s not to say I want to see him go- just that I want to see him play- if that’s not for us then for someone else.
                Would be a real shame but that lad must get game time and he doesn’t look like getting it at Munster. He’s a serious talent and I really hope he comes back to us after a few years developing somewhere else. Connacht or Ulster could probably use him.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

                  Would be a real shame but that lad must get game time and he doesn’t look like getting it at Munster. He’s a serious talent and I really hope he comes back to us after a few years developing somewhere else. Connacht or Ulster could probably use him.
                  Leinster?

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

                    I don’t care how good a young player is- or an older one for that matter- it’s a team game. If Casey is disgruntled in 12 months time because he’s not starting or benching having been given the opportunities to show what he can do in training and what games are available, then I wouldn’t be losing too much sleep over him. I want players to be desperate to play, ambitious for what they can achieve, but no one is entitled to play- you earn your chance and then make it impossible for people to drop you.
                    I think it’s a little bit too simplistic to treat all players the same. Yes, it’s a team game, but young players have to be given special leeway to make mistakes. There are two different types of mistakes that have to be brought into the equation, those are “ability mistakes” and “experience mistakes”. Unless you give a young player a sustained amount of game time, it is very hard to tell the difference between the two. Therefore, he might not be better than other players in “training” right now, but if given game time, in 12 months’ time, he could be head and shoulders above them.

                    Also, I’m operating under the assumption that he is unlikely to get the “opportunities” he needs -with six scrum-halves there - to “make it impossible for people to drop” him. I hope I’m wrong, but I think this is a fairly safe assumption to make. Especially so, considering the amount of game time Johnston and Gavin Coombes have gotten.

                    I would be pretty worried if there are not enough “available games“ and Casey becomes disgruntled with the Munster pathway. Just my opinion, but I think Casey has the potential to become the best scrum-half in the world in the next few years. It would be a shame if he did so at a club/province, other than Munster.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

                      I don’t care how good a young player is- or an older one for that matter- it’s a team game. If Casey is disgruntled in 12 months time because he’s not starting or benching having been given the opportunities to show what he can do in training and what games are available, then I wouldn’t be losing too much sleep over him. I want players to be desperate to play, ambitious for what they can achieve, but no one is entitled to play- you earn your chance and then make it impossible for people to drop you.

                      all of that said- a bit like the possibility of BJ moving, We seem overstocked with decent players, at least in some positions, but few that you would say are outstanding. JVG etc rightly, I think, give all the guys a crack at playing, but the downside of this is that guys much know they might start a couple in a row, at most, but will then rotate off. At OH, neither Tyler nor JJ made themselves undroppable, and because of that we got an endless rotation -in the hope one of them would really convince. The absence of a decent a completion has made this more complicated- but we need to find some way for guys to feel they will get an occasional opportunity to play- but no real opportunity to claim that jersey.
                      the rumour mill has it that casey was given a full contract as there was big interest from other clubs

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by munster fan View Post

                        the rumour mill has it that casey was given a full contract as there was big interest from other clubs
                        Solid info.

                        Comment


                          Think we have to really carefully manage Casey, Johnston (if he stays), Healy, French, Daly and Wren over the next couple of seasons.

                          We have the makings of a quality home grown backline there and we can’t waste them. We have to make sure they get games and have every opportunity to show what they can do. If we want to play an expansive game, all those lads have the skills and pace to do so.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

                            I think it’s a little bit too simplistic to treat all players the same. Yes, it’s a team game, but young players have to be given special leeway to make mistakes. There are two different types of mistakes that have to be brought into the equation, those are “ability mistakes” and “experience mistakes”. Unless you give a young player a sustained amount of game time, it is very hard to tell the difference between the two. Therefore, he might not be better than other players in “training” right now, but if given game time, in 12 months’ time, he could be head and shoulders above them.
                            Perhaps it is too simplistic, and I hope he turns out to be that exceptional a player.

                            However the coach is faced with a difficult choice- risk losing winnable games while a young player gains experience, and leave out guys currently good enough to win that fixture- in the hope that a promising player will nail down a starting position and go on to be truly outstanding.

                            Maybe Casey is a class above JJ, but I feel we’ve been in that situation with him- an outstanding prospect didn’t get the opportunities he wanted, blew hot and cold when he did, decided he’d be better off elsewhere- turned out not to be, comes back- but still doesn’t do well enough to nail down the bench spot- let alone start. I was very disappointed to see JJ go, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it was a mistake. Casey may be an even better player- and maybe Munster need to learn a lesson- but it’s far from an easy matter.

                            Comment


                              I'll be very disappointed if Bill Johnson is let go. I hope that rumour is wrong.
                              Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post
                                I'll be very disappointed if Bill Johnson is let go. I hope that rumour is wrong.
                                Wouldn't it be better as he is 4th in the pecking order(as it stands) that he played abroad - if he's that good he should get a run in France and then come back?
                                ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                                Originally Posted by mr chips
                                AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X