New Signings and Departures 2017 - 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
    Central contracts are on their way out for all but the most key players, as far as I know. Given Sexton is on one, I can't imagine we'd have a second 10 also on one. I suspect in three-four years we might just have a situation where clubs get a budget to do what they want with for Irish players.
    I've seen stranger central contracts being offerd in the past.

Comment

Gilroy losing his mind over Joey extrension over on off the ball this morning...questioning the whole Munster brand and ethous with the non Munster players coming into Munster....love it.....

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post

After Sexton's 6N Carbery's stock has gone up. The IRFU know how valuable a player he is.

​​​​
        Didn’t sexton just extend his contract which was reported as being with the IRFU as opposed to with Leinster, so he is centrally contracted. The fact that this announcement came from Munster and that Central Contracts are very limited makes it highly unlikely it’s a central contract, he’s a sub player fighting for his place on the bench behind the best player in the world who is unreplaceale and completely undroppable. Joey isn’t getting a central contract until at least sextons has run its course in the summer of 2021

Comment

Originally posted by tmunster View Post
          Gilroy losing his mind over Joey extrension over on off the ball this morning...questioning the whole Munster brand and ethous with the non Munster players coming into Munster....love it.....
          The pushback from the others was good, reminding him of Sean Cronin, Mike Ross, Eoin Reddan etc. Gilroy response was that they had to leave Munster to find fame and fortune in the UK. He was challenged back “so like Tadgh Beirne, then”?

Priceless
          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post

I've seen stranger central contracts being offerd in the past.
            But not any more as they're largely being phased out. I suspect the IRFU have discovered the limitations of central contracts and that they're probably counter-productive to an extent.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post

But not any more as they're largely being phased out. I suspect the IRFU have discovered the limitations of central contracts and that they're probably counter-productive to an extent.

They're not needed either. Just pay players bonuses for playing international rugby or making squads etc.

One of the big problems with central contracts is they were usually given to players who were past their peak. I think DOC got a 3 year one when past his peak and didn't play much after that. So it would be better to reward players that play for Ireland rather than reward them with central contracts when they're over 30.

I'm sure coaches were pressurised to pick Centrally contracted players.

There's also the psychological aspect of it. Once you give a player a CC then he might not feel the need to put in 100% effort anymore. Not by choice but by lack of motivation.

Regarding positions. I'm sure Jack McGrath and Healy both have one.

Comment

Originally posted by tmunster View Post
                He even managed to work the whole GG signing into it....what a twat

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyl View Post

He even managed to work the whole GG signing into it....what a twat
                  We should send him an autographed picture of Fineen rag-dolling Sexton, just to show him the Munster ethos is just fine.

Comment

I hear Hart to Biarritz is a done deal
                    Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

Originally posted by ephileth View Post
                      I hear Hart to Biarritz is a done deal
                      Best of luck to the guy if it’s so- he made remarkably little impact with us, even when prior to Alby you’d think the number two spot was wide open. Clearly had difficulties with injury- hope he’s in good enough shape to put his career back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post

They're not needed either. Just pay players bonuses for playing international rugby or making squads etc.

One of the big problems with central contracts is they were usually given to players who were past their peak. I think DOC got a 3 year one when past his peak and didn't play much after that. So it would be better to reward players that play for Ireland rather than reward them with central contracts when they're over 30.

I'm sure coaches were pressurised to pick Centrally contracted players.

There's also the psychological aspect of it. Once you give a player a CC then he might not feel the need to put in 100% effort anymore. Not by choice but by lack of motivation.

Regarding positions. I'm sure Jack McGrath and Healy both have one.
                        I agree with a lot of what your saying but Your missing one big aspect of those pay for play contracts and that’s Injury

Comment

So Pau are letting all our ex 3 go this summer. Any word where they're going? Any chance one is coming home?
                          would have thought a tidy 7 like Dougall would fit at Ulster, he being of their academy and all.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...rench-club-pau
                          Pau club president Bernard Pontneau announced the deal on Friday, continuing a heavy raid of All Blacks talent in this World Cup year.
                          Ben Smith is also heading to Pau who are coached by former All Black Simon Mannix.
                          He departs on the back of his best year with the All Blacks where he played five tests in 2018, including captaining the national team in the test against Japan.
                          ​Whitelock, the third brother in the family to play for the All Blacks, is involved in a huge Super Rugby derby on Saturday when the Highlanders play the Crusaders.

His signing with Pau comes as the club initiates a cleanout for next season.

Former All Blacks prop Jamie Mackintosh is one of six players who will be moving from the club, according to Pontneau.
                          England's Steffon Armitage, Australian Ben Mowen, and the Irish trio of Sean Dougall, Dave Foley and Paddy Butler will also be leaving, according to French reports.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                            Mike Sherry off to Gloucester on a short term loan until end of season. Best of luck to him as he puts his injuries behind him
                            Mike Sherry came off the bench for the last 10+ minutes for Glaws, away at Saints, for his first game time with them.

Gloucester won 31-40.
                            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

Mike Sherry came off the bench for the last 10+ minutes for Glaws, away at Saints, for his first game time with them.

Gloucester won 31-40.
                              Has he got a contract with Glass for next year?

Fantastic if he could revive his career.
                              ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                              AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by Pony View Post
                                So Pau are letting all our ex 3 go this summer. Any word where they're going? Any chance one is coming home?
                                would have thought a tidy 7 like Dougall would fit at Ulster, he being of their academy and all.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...rench-club-pau
                                Pau club president Bernard Pontneau announced the deal on Friday, continuing a heavy raid of All Blacks talent in this World Cup year.
                                Ben Smith is also heading to Pau who are coached by former All Black Simon Mannix.
                                He departs on the back of his best year with the All Blacks where he played five tests in 2018, including captaining the national team in the test against Japan.
                                ​Whitelock, the third brother in the family to play for the All Blacks, is involved in a huge Super Rugby derby on Saturday when the Highlanders play the Crusaders.

His signing with Pau comes as the club initiates a cleanout for next season.

Former All Blacks prop Jamie Mackintosh is one of six players who will be moving from the club, according to Pontneau.
                                England's Steffon Armitage, Australian Ben Mowen, and the Irish trio of Sean Dougall, Dave Foley and Paddy Butler will also be leaving, according to French reports.

Would Foley be a good signing for us? With Beirne and Kleyn potentials for Ireland and billy Holland in the autumn of his career at 33 would Foley at 30 years old be a good signing?

Comment

Working...
                                X