No announcement yet.

New Signings and Departures 2017 - 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really sad to see Keatley go. He’s been a big part of Munster for a long time. He had an almost impossible job taking over for ROG but did so with grace, despite an enormous amount of pressure. He had his ups and downs but is as resilient as they come. You get knocked down 9 times, you get up 10. I wish him all the best, an absolute gent.
    The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
      Sorry, I thought you were suggesting that Killer & Archer were likely to be let go at the end of their current contracts - my misunderstanding! Re Tyler, it does concern me somewhat that there's been no announcement to date about a contract renewal for him, and I do fear that he might after all be due to move on. I just think that would be a decision driven by accounting priorities over & above squad strength (especially when, as you mentioned, we have renewed Botha when we have such comparative depth in that area).

You couldn't have put it better about JJ - I'll always hope for the best with regard to any of our players, and I would love to see him get to the point where he would be a serious contender to oust Carbery ... but I just haven't seen a return to the mercurial talents that lifted our expectations 5+ years ago. Even allowing for all the various injury struggles, Tyler just seems to have recovered to a better place. Given that JJ is currently out with a hip injury - which IIRC was the cause of some of his previous lengthy struggles - and that Tyler slots into 12 so easily when the one area where we still aren't quite at 100% is at centre, it seems to me that not even offering him a one-year extension would be self-defeating.
      Agreed. In his one fully fit season I think Tyler showed us he has the quality to be a first choice 10. That’s the quality we need as back-up/challenger to Carbery, at least until Bill Johnston comes through (and who knows if Joey will stay beyond next year?).

His ability at 12, and the way he plays in the position, offers both depth and an alternative style to guys like Scannell and Goggin (who I think is more suited to 13 anyway). The way he dovetailed with Bill on the South Africa trip was really encouraging.

Whether we look on him as an OH or centre I’d rather we kept him than JJ or Arnold to be honest.

Comment

I think it would be a mistake to let Tyler go. We've seen his class when he's fit and firing, and it's a level above any other backup 10 (BJ has all the potential in the world but we haven't had the chance to see it at senior level yet).

After persevering through the tough times with multiple long term injuries it would be madness to let him go now that he's healthy again. His poor cameo against Connacht was the exception, not his standard.

Comment

On the subject of Bill Johnston - he seems to be a talented lad and has some of that X-factor to actually exert his own particular influence on a game rather than simply fulfilling the basics of his role. I'll be delighted if he turns out to be a Carbery Mk2 and becomes an international flyhalf at a young age, but at the same time I wouldn't be willing to bet a season on it and - with the usual caveat that the coaches see them all a lot more and have a much better idea of their various capabilities than we ever can - I still think that's effectively what we would be doing if Tyler were to be released.
          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
            On the subject of Bill Johnston - he seems to be a talented lad and has some of that X-factor to actually exert his own particular influence on a game rather than simply fulfilling the basics of his role. I'll be delighted if he turns out to be a Carbery Mk2 and becomes an international flyhalf at a young age, but at the same time I wouldn't be willing to bet a season on it and - with the usual caveat that the coaches see them all a lot more and have a much better idea of their various capabilities than we ever can - I still think that's effectively what we would be doing if Tyler were to be released.
            My caveat on Bill Johnston is his injury record. I like him a great deal as a player but he hasn’t yet shown he has the resilience to play 25 games a season. Now this might be a chicken and egg argument because he hasn’t had the opportunity to play 25 games a year. I would be delighted if he does demonstrate the resilience for top class rugby because he has the ability and presence to win silverware for Munster and Ireland, imho.

Comment

Tyler is an interesting one. It's probably 50/50 on whether he stays or goes. The management seem to think highly of him by making him captain but it might depend on Nucifora and the IRFU. His injury record isn't the best and if he stays that will be 4 10s in the squad plus Healy in the academy.

There's also the possibility that Bill Johnston could be offered to move to Connacht or Ulster. He is under contract but so was Carbery. Personally I think BJ should be second choice. He is a superb kicker and passer. JJ is a poor kicker and option taker yet is ahead of BJ in selection somehow.

Tyler could be viewed as a 12 which would add some creativity and skill to the backline. I'm not the biggest Arnold fan. Good athlete but is very one dimensional and not the biggest player to be crashing up the middle. I think Alex McHenry in the academy will be a good option at 12 in a year or two. Goggin has been very impressive so far and looks comfortable playing 12 or 13.

On a side note, I always thought Keatley would have made a good 12. He has a good around game and is a decent athlete and fairly robust.
              ​​​​

Comment

Fro mm RTE web today- interview yesterday, presumably...

[An Ireland call-up] is a target but it’s probably a long way away at the minute, purely [because of a] lack of game time and the performances of all the other out-halves in the country as well," said the 28-year-old, who missed a huge chunk of the 2017/18 season with a neck injury and has made just seven appearances this season.

My focus is, it sounds clichéd, but it’s purely on this week’s prep [for the Guinness Pro14 game at Dragons]. If I get a shot at the weekend I’m really excited to get back out there and then what happens down the track is going to happen."

Sounds like he’ll be here next year, and that he hasn’t given up his Ireland ambitions. Of course he might go to Connacht/Ulster- but this like Munster- depends on his long term fitness, and only him playing consistently will reveal that.
                Last edited by jagawayagain; 22nd-January-2019, 10:17.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                  Fro mm RTE web today- interview yesterday, presumably...

[An Ireland call-up] is a target but it’s probably a long way away at the minute, purely [because of a] lack of game time and the performances of all the other out-halves in the country as well," said the 28-year-old, who missed a huge chunk of the 2017/18 season with a neck injury and has made just seven appearances this season.

My focus is, it sounds clichéd, but it’s purely on this week’s prep [for the Guinness Pro14 game at Dragons]. If I get a shot at the weekend I’m really excited to get back out there and then what happens down the track is going to happen."

Sounds like he’ll be here next year, and that he hasn’t given up his Ireland ambitions. Of course he might go to Connacht/Ulster- but this like Munster- depends on his long term fitness, and only him playing consistently will reveal that.
                  If he does stay JJ will presumably take to his bike again - Pau or similar.
                  ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                  AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

If he does stay JJ will presumably take to his bike again - Pau or similar.
                    JJ has already signed up for two more years.

Comment

Originally posted by barryfitz87 View Post

JJ has already signed up for two more years.
                      I'd say JJ is in for the long haul at this stage after the Northampton experience. Even if that means knocking around the fringes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snrub View Post

I'd say JJ is in for the long haul at this stage after the Northampton experience. Even if that means knocking around the fringes.
                        You can see why you’d want to tie down JJ if you thought you’d be without TB long term, and perhaps suspected Carbery might not settle. At the same time you’d regret tying your hands if you knew you’d have JC, TB, BJ long term, with Healy coming through- but maybe with international calls, resting, injury and an A programme of fixtures 4 could be very tight.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

You can see why you’d want to tie down JJ if you thought you’d be without TB long term, and perhaps suspected Carbery might not settle. At the same time you’d regret tying your hands if you knew you’d have JC, TB, BJ long term, with Healy coming through- but maybe with international calls, resting, injury and an A programme of fixtures 4 could be very tight.
                          Just by comparison, Leinster have a first choice 10 who is away with Ireland every squad and is also slightly injury prone and never seem to struggle particularly with Byrne and an academy 10 covering. Reid obviously fills in but has played more at centre.
                          Last edited by Mr Snrub; 22nd-January-2019, 12:38.

Comment

As a fan of JJ, I'd like top see him get game time - a middle ranking French club might be his best option.
                            ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                            AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                              As a fan of JJ, I'd like top see him get game time - a middle ranking French club might be his best option.
                              i think you may be right but I don't think it will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snrub View Post

Just by comparison, Leinster have a first choice 10 who is away with Ireland every squad and is also slightly injury prone and never seem to struggle particularly with Byrne and an academy 10 covering. Reid obviously fills in but has played more at centre.
                                It’s a good comparison, but TB, BJ and JJ have had substantial non availability through injury- and of course before Carbery arrived it was Keats and these we had available. With fully fit guys we wouldn’t have as many (and could give good game time to those we have).

Comment

Working...
                                X