New Signings and Departures 2017 - 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Red Ghost View Post

I think he's a huge talent. Like I said he'd possibly (maybe even probably) be starting at any province that didn't have Furlong. I just also think Ryan and Archer are playing great stuff at the moment which makes it less clear-cut for me at Munster. Maybe my glasses are red tinted, but I haven't been so happy with our prop depth in the last 20 years.

We now have a situation across the provinces that was unimaginable just a few years ago when Tom Court's reputation was ruined against England. Great time to be an Irish rugby fan!
    BF to Court he was a loosehead who I think was forced to play in a tighthead position against England that day. IIRC in those days teams only had one sub to cover prop.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Horse View Post

BF to Court he was a loosehead who I think was forced to play in a tighthead position against England that day. IIRC in those days teams only had one sub to cover prop.
      Quite right. Court was primarily a loosehead, but had always been identified as a dual/utility prop in the days when you only had 1 prop on the bench. I wasn't trying to slag him off, but his reputation was undeniably harmed by that experience (he didn't make many Irish squads afterwards), and it made Irish rugby take action to fix our prop shortage. The rewards of which are being reaped now.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ghost View Post

Quite right. Court was primarily a loosehead, but had always been identified as a dual/utility prop in the days when you only had 1 prop on the bench. I wasn't trying to slag him off, but his reputation was undeniably harmed by that experience (he didn't make many Irish squads afterwards), and it made Irish rugby take action to fix our prop shortage. The rewards of which are being reaped now.

That match was one of the best things to happen to Irish rugby. The humiliation forced the IRFU to put more resources into developing props. Pity it had to come to that though.

Munster have an abundance of looseheads now. Liam O'Connor was playing superbly before his injury and is just back playing and James French in the academy looked the best Ireland U20 loosehead that I've seen in a long while.

Comment

Anyone know how Ben Betts is getting on in England? He looked to be a huge talent in the u20 world cup, not sure how wise his subsequent transfer moves have been.

Comment

Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post
            Anyone know how Ben Betts is getting on in England? He looked to be a huge talent in the u20 world cup, not sure how wise his subsequent transfer moves have been.
            went on loan when at Leicester a few times. did ok there
            But now in Ealing and not getting starts. been involved a fair bit this season but almost all his appearances are off bench getting 25-30 minutes

Comment

Any chance of a lend of one of your five scrum halves for a couple of weeks? Wee down to one and a couple of academy lads

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Konys barmy army View Post
                Any chance of a lend of one of your five scrum halves for a couple of weeks? Wee down to one and a couple of academy lads
                You can have Duncan
                Life is good

Comment

Originally posted by munstershane View Post

You can have Duncan
                  I thought you might say that

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                    went on loan when at Leicester a few times. did ok there
                    But now in Ealing and not getting starts. been involved a fair bit this season but almost all his appearances are off bench getting 25-30 minutes
                    He also only seems to be getting the bench spot about half of the time. A more of those came at the start of the season.

Comment

I wonder what Johann and FlaFel have targeted to add to the group and in what positions. For the first time in donkey's years I'm almost comfortable with the starting fella in every position and his deputy.

Leinster brought in Tomane, which kinda looked like an addition for the sake of it given their strength. Not saying we have such a large pool to pick from but if Munster announced an NIQ Marquee signing in the morning in any position on the field bar 10 I wouldn't mind whatsoever. We seem to be fairly solid all over right now

So where would you strengthen the side? And why?
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                        I wonder what Johann and FlaFel have targeted to add to the group and in what positions. For the first time in donkey's years I'm almost comfortable with the starting fella in every position and his deputy.

Leinster brought in Tomane, which kinda looked like an addition for the sake of it given their strength. Not saying we have such a large pool to pick from but if Munster announced an NIQ Marquee signing in the morning in any position on the field bar 10 I wouldn't mind whatsoever. We seem to be fairly solid all over right now

So where would you strengthen the side? And why?

Only 2 positions that I think needs strengthening is second row and possibly tighthead.

Tighthead depends on the potential of Parker and Scott. It's usually the position that takes players longest to reach their potential.

The second row looks strong but there's too much reliance on Beirne and Kleyn. Another second row of that or similar standard would ease the workload on those 2.

I'd be fine with no signings. Trim the squad of the older, fringe players and give the academy lads more opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post

Only 2 positions that I think needs strengthening is second row and possibly tighthead.

Tighthead depends on the potential of Parker and Scott. It's usually the position that takes players longest to reach their potential.

The second row looks strong but there's too much reliance on Beirne and Kleyn. Another second row of that or similar standard would ease the workload on those 2.

I'd be fine with no signings. Trim the squad of the older, fringe players and give the academy lads more opportunities.
                          I suppose Munster should always be on the lookout to strengthen the squad but the more we can strengthen it from within is what would be really great. I know its not always possible to promote from within but seeing Liam O Connor added to our Cup squad is great news . A good prospect.

Comment

The only area I have some concern about right now is centre, in particular at 13. We have good starting, bench and backup options throughout the pack, with the caveat that I'd like to see more from Darren O'Shea, seeing as himself, Beirne and Kleyn are our only options there who meet or exceed the magical 6'6" height. Even Seán O'Connor, who has definitely looked the part any time I've seen him play, is "only" 6'5". At 9 the drop-off from Murray doesn't seem as great as it had once been - even if Mathewson does depart at the end of March, I'm happy to see how Neil Cronin continues to develop in the knowledge that Nick McCarthy is coming in and seems to be well thought of. We've top-class starters on each wing and young guns champing at the bit there, along with two excellent options at 15 in Haley and Conway.

However, it's pretty clear after watching recent games how much Chris Farrell brings to us and how much more effective we are in attack when he plays. But even that isn't completely clear-cut, since for so much of the past year we hardly had a chance to see Dan Goggin settling in there in Farrell's absence, and tbh I'm really not sure if he is viewed as being primarily a 12 or a 13. Our options at centre have been so restricted for so long that I can't say which combination we would really pick if everyone was fit, in form and not being eased back after injury - Scannell & Farrell? Goggin & Farrell?

Of course, Sammy Arnold is still very young and could still develop into a more incisive attacker - I'm not having a go at him, just reflecting what some others have noticed in that he doesn't seem as comfortable a passer/offloader/playmaker as Farrell, and doesn't have the same physicality to be able to break the defensive line as easily. I wonder is there value in shifting him in to compete with Rory and Tyler for the 12 jersey? Meanwhile, Rory Scannell is very good but not quite at the same level as his Ireland peers - Aki, Henshaw and even McCloskey would all be ahead of him in green, and Tyler has shown he has the vision and smarts but needs to get through at least the rest of this season unbroken. Is Goggin set to surpass them both as our first choice at 12? If that happens, who is our main competitor to Farrell?

I guess these are good selection headaches to have, but it would be nice to have a little more clarity. Overall, so long as the rest of our squad stay fit, then we've got at least three if not four options for each position, all of whom are capable of competing seriously at Pro14 level and most of whom are easily international standard for their position.
                            Last edited by mr chips; 15th-January-2019, 22:15.
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

I agree with Chips. Farrell shows how much difference a good center makes. If he stays fit he'll be in the RWC squad meaning we've to miss him half the season.

Does Kleyn qualify for RWC? If so, than an extra lock might not be bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post
                                I agree with Chips. Farrell shows how much difference a good center makes. If he stays fit he'll be in the RWC squad meaning we've to miss him half the season.

Does Kleyn qualify for RWC? If so, than an extra lock might not be bad.
                                I think he is Irish Qualified in Aug/Sept 2019

Comment

Working...
                                X