No announcement yet.

New Signings and Departures 2017 - 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess for BJ there are some games during the 6 nations, JJ may not be ready on time. He will need to show he is as good as Tyler in the opportunities he' given, if he does he'll compete for the 22 jersey near the tailend of the season with the possibility he will have one less competitor next year. If he doesn't he is probably headed for the championship or possibly Connacht or Ulster.

I like Tyler but unless Bill clearly isn't up to it I don't see a reasonable jusification for keeping him on as a 10 at least.

Comment

Bill J starting for the A's tomorrow with Keatley on the bench

Comment

ROM, Nash & Boomer also getting a run
        forti et fideli nihil difficile

Comment

BJ in my opinion has more potential than JJ at 10 and I think it would be a mistake to let him out of our grasp. Tyler covers centre and Carberry also covers FB , with Keatley going it offers BJ a great opportunity .

Comment

Originally posted by tiernster View Post
            I guess for BJ there are some games during the 6 nations, JJ may not be ready on time. He will need to show he is as good as Tyler in the opportunities he' given, if he does he'll compete for the 22 jersey near the tailend of the season with the possibility he will have one less competitor next year. If he doesn't he is probably headed for the championship or possibly Connacht or Ulster.

I like Tyler but unless Bill clearly isn't up to it I don't see a reasonable jusification for keeping him on as a 10 at least.
            From the few times I have seen him play I cannot see any reason not to keep him. Would be a big mistake imho.
            Also unless I am mistaken he is contracted until the end of next season.
            Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

Probably although can't find evidence to back it up.

My main point is he is an excellent players and on my opinion needs gametime

Comment

Originally posted by tiernster View Post
                Probably although can't find evidence to back it up.

My main point is he is an excellent players and on my opinion needs gametime
                If this is re: BJ, I agree, however I also think he's incredibly slight & they're probably being very cautious to build him up slowly taking the shoulder injuries into account.

Comment

Originally posted by mickiemcfist View Post

If this is re: BJ, I agree, however I also think he's incredibly slight & they're probably being very cautious to build him up slowly taking the shoulder injuries into account.
                  I think he’s being managed just fine- we need to get our starting 10 Joey playing time, ideally with Murray; we needed to resolve which of JJ/Ian was in pole position for the bench- this didn’t get easier by the very welcome return to fitness of TB. BJ is getting exposure in senior games, and will get more. he doesn’t, in my opinion, need to nail down 22 by the end of this season. Another preseason, and the World Cup opportunities that will arise, will allow him to do that (JJ, BJ, TB?) I’m looking forward to him developing into our number two 10, and challenging Joey the year after. Our younger players seem to senior squad ready later than our Pale cousins- but the answer to that isn’t rushing playing in before they are ready.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

I think he’s being managed just fine- we need to get our starting 10 Joey playing time, ideally with Murray; we needed to resolve which of JJ/Ian was in pole position for the bench- this didn’t get easier by the very welcome return to fitness of TB. BJ is getting exposure in senior games, and will get more. he doesn’t, in my opinion, need to nail down 22 by the end of this season. Another preseason, and the World Cup opportunities that will arise, will allow him to do that (JJ, BJ, TB?) I’m looking forward to him developing into our number two 10, and challenging Joey the year after. Our younger players seem to senior squad ready later than our Pale cousins- but the answer to that isn’t rushing playing in before they are ready.
                    Whilst his tactical kicking is good and he's composed, I'm not sure BJ has shown enough to suggest he is going to be good enough in the long term. Hope I'm wrong, just don't see it.
                    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

Whilst his tactical kicking is good and he's composed, I'm not sure BJ has shown enough to suggest he is going to be good enough in the long term. Hope I'm wrong, just don't see it.
                      Joey is in a different league and I don't see BJ catching him up at any stage. He just needs to overtake JJ and TB which is achievable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snrub View Post

Joey is in a different league and I don't see BJ catching him up at any stage. He just needs to overtake JJ and TB which is achievable.
                        I agree I was responding to jagaway above "challenging Joey the year after".

...but it is early days.

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

I agree I was responding to jagaway above "challenging Joey the year after".

...but it is early days.
                          Sorry, quoted you but was a general response on the topic. Agreed.

Comment

I think BJ is a massive talent judging from his time at under 20. Early in Rog’s career Jeremy Staunton was viewed as the better out half, and Johnny Sexton was 24 before he made a proper breakthrough. Would prefer to lose either Tyler, JJ or Keatley over losing BJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky_112 View Post
                              I think BJ is a massive talent judging from his time at under 20. Early in Rog’s career Jeremy Staunton was viewed as the better out half, and Johnny Sexton was 24 before he made a proper breakthrough. Would prefer to lose either Tyler, JJ or Keatley over losing BJ
                              Yep fair point, time will tell.

Wasn't O'Gara already starting and playing Heineken cup for a few seasons before Staunton played for Munster though? Open to correction as I'm too young to remember but was Jeremy Staunton ever in a starting position ahead of Ronan O'Gara given he's three years younger? It doesn't seem to be comparable.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky_112 View Post
                                Yep, some players when they 'make it' dont continue to improve and some do. Given that temperament is so important for a 10 it is very difficult to predict.

Comment

Working...
                                X