Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future of the PRO 12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Future of the PRO 12

    After a disappointing final for Munster played in a stadium with too many empty seats near the end of May is it not time to examine aspects of this league.
    It was an exciting even fascinating league for the most part and ended up with winners playing open attacking rugby. For all the disappointment we've had a fine league where we've seen lots of new faces establishing themselves

    The Champions Cup has decided to stop facilitating the Italian teams with qualification now only based strictly on merit is it time changes were introduced to the PRO 12 too.

    I for one feel the season is far too long and would gladly dispense with semi finals and perhaps even consider giving the title to the team finishing top at the end of the regular season.
    If not that could we reward the top finishing team with a home final. At least back in Thomond in 2011 we had a full house and a cracking atmosphere.

    TG4 do an excellent job but I wish they had all the games. This crap of having a league across multiple channels is most unsatisfactory. I always felt that having all the European games on terrestrial tv back in the day was instrumental in generating support for the provinces. We really need the games back on one terrestrial channel with a highlights programme on a Sunday evening.
    Terrestrial tv doesn't negatively affect it's soccer counterpart and while I know it's a much bigger beast sure it's all relative.

    Would be interested to see what others think about the league and how it could be improved.
    Last edited by baldy; 29th-May-2017, 23:06.

    #2
    Originally posted by baldy View Post
    After a disappointing final for Munster played in a stadium with too many empty seats near the end of May is it not time to examine aspects of this league.
    It was an exciting even fascinating league for the most part and ended up with winners playing open attacking rugby. For all the disappointment we've had a fine league where we've seen lots of new faces establishing themselves

    Now that the Champions Cup has decided to stop facilitating the Italian teams with qualification now based strictly on merit is it time changes were introduced to the PRO 12 too.

    I for one feel the season is far too long and would gladly dispense with semi finals and perhaps even consider giving the title to the team finishing top at the end of the regular season.

    TG4 do an excellent job but I wish they had all the games. This crap of having a league across multiple channels is most unsatisfactory. I always felt that having all the European games on terrestrial tv back in the day was instrumental in support for the provinces. We really need the games back on one terrestrial channel with a highlights programme on a Sunday evening.

    Would be interested to see what others think about the league and how i could be improved.
    Is their any pro rugby league in the world that does not have playoffs/a final to decide who will be champions.
    I dont see the season being too long and getting rid of semi finals/playoffs wont help the league in any way. In how many leagues is title decided before the final weekend(s)??
    Can the sides in the pro12 afford to have games on just one channel?
    Is their a channel that would take coverage of the league on an exclusive basis? Is it better for the game if we have pro12 joining the european cups behind a pay wall??
    Would this sole channel provide enough coverage to warrant this. TG4 would only be able to get games involving irish teams? Its a multi nation league. Only realistic option for a sole broadcaster is a sky/BT
    RTE have cut back on coverage of all sports so theyre not going to be looking for pro12

    Comment


      #3
      Pro12 exclusively on TG4 is UNACCEPTABLE since they are an elitist channel and only provide gaelic commentary. The non speakers would be alienated

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Munstersrebel View Post
        Pro12 exclusively on TG4 is UNACCEPTABLE since they are an elitist channel and only provide gaelic commentary. The non speakers would be alienated

        Elitist? go on.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by lawrence View Post
          Elitist? go on.
          I made my case dude. As a non gaelic speaker i would be excluded as such start watching SR exclusively

          Comment


            #6
            The league's biggest issue is the relatively small amounts of money it generates from tv rights, particularly in comparison to the English and French leagues.

            Comment


              #7
              Elitist . . .now thats a good one.


              Another issue the League needs to address is officiating. I know it is virtually impossible for the organisers of the Pro 12 to magic up a few more good Scottish and Italian refs . .but the league could do with them.

              It doesn't bother me personally, the nationality of a ref, once they are good . . .but with so many Irish ref and alot of Welsh refs you do see constant complaints from spectators, voiced online, about non neutral officials.

              Will it change much in reality, no not really. Will it make supporters happier - a fair few I think.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
                Elitist . . .now thats a good one.


                Another issue the League needs to address is officiating. I know it is virtually impossible for the organisers of the Pro 12 to magic up a few more good Scottish and Italian refs . .but the league could do with them.

                It doesn't bother me personally, the nationality of a ref, once they are good . . .but with so many Irish ref and alot of Welsh refs you do see constant complaints from spectators, voiced online, about non neutral officials.

                Will it change much in reality, no not really. Will it make supporters happier - a fair few I think.
                Spot on. One of the biggest issues with the league is how it leaves itself open to accusations of bias officiating. A professionally run set up should not be content with such amateurish organisation. It could also do with a bit of promotion. We have one of the most competitive leagues going yet in most peoples minds it plays second fiddle to the Premiership and Top 14. Even here you see how hard it is for people to get up for a non-derby game. The Provinces could definitely do a better job marketing games but the league also bears a certain responsibility.

                Comment


                  #9
                  =QUOTE=Mike Gibson;1702685]The league's biggest issue is the relatively small amounts of money it generates from tv rights, particularly in comparison to the English and French leagues.[/QUOTE]how can the league do anything about that when you compare populations of competing countries/potential viewers?

                  Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
                  Another issue the League needs to address is officiating. I know it is virtually impossible for the organisers of the Pro 12 to magic up a few more good Scottish and Italian refs . .but the league could do with them.

                  It doesn't bother me personally, the nationality of a ref, once they are good . . .but with so many Irish ref and alot of Welsh refs you do see constant complaints from spectators, voiced online, about non neutral officials.

                  Will it change much in reality, no not really. Will it make supporters happier - a fair few I think.
                  they are trying. You will quite often see Italian/Georgian and Irish refs who are AIL level/equivalent of AIL refereeing in other countries as part of their development.


                  Originally posted by TomsOnTheRoof View Post
                  Spot on. One of the biggest issues with the league is how it leaves itself open to accusations of bias officiating. A professionally run set up should not be content with such amateurish organisation. It could also do with a bit of promotion. We have one of the most competitive leagues going yet in most peoples minds it plays second fiddle to the Premiership and Top 14. Even here you see how hard it is for people to get up for a non-derby game. The Provinces could definitely do a better job marketing games but the league also bears a certain responsibility.
                  how do you change the officiating?
                  And what do you want done to improve promotion? Bar derby games getting to away games needs at least a flight. That can be a major issue. Provinces do market the league heavily but Irish people have a very gaa attitude towards pro12 in that it's "only the league" and "championship/European cup" is all that matters.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Is TG4 a Gaelic-language broadcaster? Here was me thinking it was an Irish-language broadcaster. Who knew.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by thoughtless View Post
                      Is TG4 a Gaelic-language broadcaster? Here was me thinking it was an Irish-language broadcaster. Who knew.

                      Irish (Gaeilge), also referred to as Gaelic or Irish Gaelic,[4] is a Goidelic language of the Indo-European language family originating in Ireland and historically spoken by the Irish people. Irish is spoken as a first language by a small minority of Irish people, and as a second language by a larger group of non-native speakers. Irish enjoys constitutional status as the national and first official language of the Republic of Ireland, and is an officially recognised minority language in Northern Ireland. It is also among the official languages of the European Union. The public body Foras na Gaeilge is responsible for the promotion of the language throughout the island of Ireland.
                      Last edited by Munstersrebel; 30th-May-2017, 10:57.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post
                        The league's biggest issue is the relatively small amounts of money it generates from tv rights, particularly in comparison to the English and French leagues.
                        This is the main issue in the league. Get this right, and there can be more star signings, which will aid in the promotion in the league.
                        TG4 are giving less than 1m per yr for top class rugby. This needs to be addressed, and hopefully either TV3 OR Eir Sport will step in in the next broadcasting deal in 2018.
                        The addition of the U.S franchise will certainly help, both with a US TV deal, and the pressure it will put on all the other broadcasters. Apparently ESPN have signed up to broadcast in the US, so that will improve revenue on that front. I guess the ink on the Eurosport deal is still wet, so that may develop further also.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          anyone know when fixtures are out?
                          ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                          Originally Posted by mr chips
                          AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                            anyone know when fixtures are out?
                            They are usually released around the middle of July.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Munstersrebel View Post
                              Irish (Gaeilge), also referred to as Gaelic or Irish Gaelic,[4] is a Goidelic language of the Indo-European language family originating in Ireland and historically spoken by the Irish people. Irish is spoken as a first language by a small minority of Irish people, and as a second language by a larger group of non-native speakers. Irish enjoys constitutional status as the national and first official language of the Republic of Ireland, and is an officially recognised minority language in Northern Ireland. It is also among the official languages of the European Union. The public body Foras na Gaeilge is responsible for the promotion of the language throughout the island of Ireland.
                              since we are googling definitions.... i'm not sure were TG4 fits into any of the descriptions below... don't get me wrong, a 'C' in Leaving Cert Pass Irish has me struggling with the language too but elitist it is not.... Irish language biased at worse!!
                              And i don't get the impression that they have the biggest budget in the world so i'd be surprised if they outbid TV3 or RTE to get the rights.


                              elitist





                              adjective

                              1.(of a person or class of persons) considered superior by others or bythemselves, as in intellect, talent, power, wealth, or position in society:elitist country clubbers who have theirs and don't care about anybodyelse.


                              2.catering to or associated with an elitist class, its ideologies, or itsinstitutions:Even at such a small, private college, Latin and Greek are under attackas too elitist.


                              noun3.a person having, thought to have, or professing superior intellect ortalent, power, wealth, or membership in the upper echelons of society:He lost a congressional race in Texas by being smeared as an Easternelitist.


                              4.a person who believes in the superiority of an elitist class.


                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X