GP12 Semi-final) Munster v Ospreys, Sat 20th May 2017 @ 6:15pm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GP12 Semi-final) Munster v Ospreys, Sat 20th May 2017 @ 6:15pm

To be honest, I don't think that Pro12 semi-finals have ever really captured Munster supporters' imagination for various reasons. In the earlier years of the play-offs, the League was still viewed as a poor relation of the fondly remembered Heineken Cup. But match-ups against Ospreys have been very frequent.

We've been played in five semi-finals, winning our two home matches against Ospreys, and losing our three away matches - one embarassingly so, against Ospreys.

2010 - Leinster 16-11 Munster
    2011 - Munster 18-11 Ospreys
    2012 - Ospreys 45-10 Munster
    2014 - Glasgow 16-15 Munster
    2015 - Munster 21-18 Ospreys

I think Munster fans saw the league as a poor consolation prize in the years that Leinster were stomping around Europe. In 2010, Leinster were in their little purple patch against Munster (five defeats for us in a row, no tries?). While we won a fine Magners League title in 2011, the semi-final win over Ospreys at a cold Thomond Park was near the end of a disappointing season where we failed to get out of our HEC group, and we had lost at home to Harlequins. But the 2012 result at the Liberty was a Munster nadir: played while Ulster and Leinster were off preparing for their Heineken Cup Final the following weekend, it was Tony McGahan's last match, and the team were well thumped by Ospreys. A real Munster low. The deserved win against Ospreys two years ago got Axel Foley's team to a final in his first year as Head Coach, but that team was well beaten by Glasgow in the final.

Yet, this year, a Pro12 title would feel like a real achievement. Why? Lots of reasons - our HEC-winning players are all gone, we've made a clean break with the past and are building a completely new team and squad for the future, and there's a sense that we're on a development plan that is no longer a year-to-year attempt to regain so-called former glories.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the match against Ospreys and think that a home Pro12 semi-final will, for the first time ever at Thomond, generate a great match atmosphere. We've had six sell-outs at the ground this season, and while Saturday week probably won't be packed, it should feel like a special occasion.

In terms of the match-up, Munster must start as favourites. Our overall season and recent form is a lot better that Ospreys, we expect to win these home fixtures again, and, damn it, we've just topped the Pro12 table. (The fact that an away team has never won a semi goes without saying ...). Conor Murray against Rhys Webb will be a great contest. Guys like Biggar, Giles and Tipuric are always worth watching, and I hope Alun Wynne Jones is fit to play a part.

But, we have real momentum at the moment. After an emotional roller-coaster of a season, I think the lads will be able to make a huge effort for this one with the prize of a final in the Aviva well worth reaching for.

Munster to win.
    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Should Oliver start? He is looking like a class act.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
      Should Oliver start? He is looking like a class act.
      Nope.

Pom
      tod
      cj

all day for me.

with diesel, JOD and Oliver on the bench, diesel covering second row as well.

I would also start saili at 13 over taute.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post

Yet, this year, a Pro12 title would feel like a real achievement. Why? Lots of reasons - our HEC-winning players are all gone, we've made a clean break with the past and are building a completely new team and squad for the future, and there's a sense that we're on a development plan that is no longer a year-to-year attempt to regain so-called former glories.
        Earls
        Donnacha Ryan

Both have medals and were in the 2008 final squad.
        Life is good

Comment

Originally posted by munstershane View Post
          Earls
          Donnacha Ryan

Both have medals and were in the 2008 final squad.
          This site should be called Munster-nitpickers.com - I deliberately said "players"​. You're being pedantic.
          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Are tickets on sale. I tried to get a family ticket for yesterday's game in stand and Ticketmaster said they were not available?? And the whole row I was in was empty??

Comment

Tickets for the MRSC Bus are on the MRSC site at the moment.

Leaving 14:45 from Patrick's Quay.

Returning 30 mins after Full Time.

Comment

Originally posted by North Country Spider View Post
                Are tickets on sale. I tried to get a family ticket for yesterday's game in stand and Ticketmaster said they were not available?? And the whole row I was in was empty??
                Yup, on sale here http://www.ticketmaster.ie/guinness-...minorcatid=225
                and my home, my home is there.

Comment

Think I saw that TG4 are showing the game....will it be on SKY as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Kev131 View Post
                    Think I saw that TG4 are showing the game....will it be on SKY as well?
                    I HOPE so... TG4 screening games is a significant devaluation (imhuo)

Comment

Missed yesterday's game as I was at a wedding. How long did Murray play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He was fine. He showed no sign of restricted movement and, most importantly of all he finished the game with no obvious injury.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                          Missed yesterday's game as I was at a wedding. How long did Murray play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Iicc about 20min

Comment

The42.ie says Sky have both semis...! Great cos I'm travelling again! ��

Comment

Ospreys on the look out for a kitchen sink for their visit to Thomond Park!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/39832982

British and Irish Lions selection Dan Biggar will have tests on an injured ankle after limping off in Ospreys' 40-17 defeat by Scarlets.

Biggar started with a bandaged foot and went off early in the second half.

Ospreys go to Munster in the Pro12 semi-final on 20 May and the Lions fly to New Zealand nine days later.

"We will assess him over the next 24 hours, he is just adding to our list of casualties," said Ospreys head coach Steve Tandy.

"It was something to do with his ankle, we have just got to dig into it in a bit more detail."

Biggar was one of 12 Wales players named in Warren Gatland's tour party.

Ospreys went into the game with Scarlets with 15 players on their injury list, but hope to have club captain Alun Wyn Jones back for the semi-final.

The record defeat against their west Wales rivals was their fourth loss in their past five Pro12 games.

As well as Jones, Tandy expects fly-half Sam Davies, Ashley Beck and Brian Mujati to be fit again for the semi-final at Thomond Park in Limerick.

Tandy said he was proud of his team's performance over the season, claiming a Pro12 play-off place and a place in the European Champions Cup.

Asked if Ospreys would throw the kitchen sink at Munster, he replied they would have to, adding: "But we'll have to find a kitchen sink first!

"We know how difficult they are to play, powerful and a passionate crowd. Looking at it, everyone apart from the people in our changing room don't think we can do it so we have something to prove. It's a semi-final and we're pretty excited.

"We're disappointed about today but there's nothing we can do about it. But over a 22 game season, and where we came from last year, we're pretty pleased with it."

Comment

Working...
                              X