Abusing Players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abusing Players

I'm going to start this by admitting I'm not perfect. I have been known to let out the odd, "oh for ****s sake (insert players name)" etc at times.

However recently (last few seasons) there seems to be a tendency for large sections of the support to get on a players back when all is not going well for the team. Players are singled out like Keatley, Williams, Tyler (today), Foley, Zebo (yes at times) and given dogs abuse by some "fans"

I was disgusted at the grown man sitting next to my teenage son who from the first minute today dogged into Williams and Tyler for the whole match. I swear if he had tripped on his laces in his drunken stupor he would have blamed one of them for it. I've been trying to teach my son (who has aspergers and so needs to learn social etiquette) the rugby way and how we respect our own players even if they have an off day. Well mid-way through the second half my wife had to move my son from this overgrown ape because my son was about to give him a mouthful (I was sitting a couple of rows behind). Now maybe she should have left my 15 stone, 6'1", 19 year old confront the oaf but that probably would have ended with me jumping two rows and confronting the prick as well, so maybe she did the best thing. Apparently people around him tried to reason with him but he was too pigheaded and pissed to listen.

So my question is at what point did it become acceptable behaviour to start abusing players at rugby matches? This isn't an isolated incident either. I'm hearing it every week on the terrace in TP. It's awful and I think as fans we need to start putting these idiots in their place. There is no need for it at all.

I know it's a bit of a rant but I needed to just get it off my chest.
    Life is good

Sorry to hear about that Shane . No excuse for it
    Dont let today tarnish what has been a great season. Take care
    When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

In fairness the abuse I witnessed today too was the one real disappointment of the day. We all knew the win was not a given but the respect of fans to our players should be one. We all say stupid things out of disappointment and drunkenness but some seem to have no boundaries. We pride ourselves in the quality of our support, some today shamed us all. Here's hoping the travelling Saracens fans did not encounter any of them.
      Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

It part of the casual fans company too. In my section I heard
        1. Williams has never played well.
        2. For all money invested in Tyler he's not worth it
        3. We haven't progressed And Rassie Erasmus isn't all hes made out to be or there's a reason he wants out.

Some times I wonder do these lads ever hear of Thomond or Musgrave.

Comment

Originally posted by MunsterBakery View Post
          It part of the casual fans company too. In my section I heard
          1. Williams has never played well.
          2. For all money invested in Tyler he's not worth it
          3. We haven't progressed And Rassie Erasmus isn't all hes made out to be or there's a reason he wants out.

Some times I wonder do these lads ever hear of Thomond or Musgrave.
          You must remember Thomond holds about 28,000. Munster had close to 50k there today. Lots of day trippers (who are welcome) but there will be a cohort who haven't a rashers.

Sorry to hear about your experience
          Con Artist

Comment

Sounds like none of you guys was ever at a munsters vs shannon game back in the 90s.

on saying that, abuse like mentioned above isnt warrantied

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia View Post
              You must remember Thomond holds about 28,000. Munster had close to 50k there today. Lots of day trippers (who are welcome) but there will be a cohort who haven't a rashers.

Sorry to hear about your experience
              As I said Val I'm hearing plenty of it in Thomond too in the last few seasons.
              Life is good

Comment

I've never been a fan of Williams, but, he has played well this season. His biggest issue is that he's not Conor Murray.
                Abuse of Tyler is new to me, I've no idea where that comes from.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
                "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

There is too much righteous indignation on this forum of late.

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post
                    There is too much righteous indignation on this forum of late.
                    Thanks for your useful insight.
                    I'm glad you don't mind this ****wittery
                    Life is good

Comment

Dissapointed myself to hear abuse of players post match in Aviva.
                      We didn't win..not any individual players fault not even Poite fault.
                      We were out played.
                      We did great getting to a semi final after last couple of years.
                      We have great players coming forward.
                      We didn't play perfect rugby today...we didn't get ball over the line after many chances Saracens defence was solid.
                      We did well..players supporters management.
                      We now have a pro 12 to win.Cmon MUNSTER

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
                      Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. (Marcus Aurelius, 121-189 AD)

Comment

Good man Shane, well bloody said and about time it was said too. I can be Mr. Angry at games too but personal attacks are off limits.
                        Bloody morons roaring and whistling at the kicker and it has happened at TP too this year. There were two repeat offenders today in the North End. One ape doing the dog whistle and another shouting C'mon Munnnpterr every time Farrell lined up for a kick. If I was near them I'd have chewed 'em out of it. Someone else nearer should have.
                        Other guys around me throwing their hands in to the air every time DW laid his hands on the ball.

This crap has gradually crept in over the past few years. We need to stand up and fight this behaviour too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                          Dissapointed myself to hear abuse of players post match in Aviva.
                          We didn't win..not any individual players fault not even Poite fault.
                          We were out played.
                          We did great getting to a semi final after last couple of years.
                          We have great players coming forward.
                          We didn't play perfect rugby today...we didn't get ball over the line after many chances Saracens defence was solid.
                          We did well..players supporters management.
                          We now have a pro 12 to win.Cmon MUNSTER

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
                          This sums it up.

If you'd asked me at the start of the season how Europe would go, I'd have said we probably won't get out of the group.

We made a semi final, we got beaten by the best team in Europe. We played well, they were better. No complaints.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
                          "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Is it OK to abuse players in your dreams?! Dreamt last night I told Farrell I called him an arsehole.

"Strike me flamin' handsome!!!" - Alf Stewart

His body is only a fuel tank for his micky - a work colleague talking about a fella he knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellethebod View Post
                              Is it OK to abuse players in your dreams?! Dreamt last night I told Farrell I called him an arsehole.

Haha

Comment

Working...
                              X