Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squad during the Six Nations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Squad during the Six Nations

    It is fantastic to see 13 Munster players in the initial 40 man squad for the first 2 games but of course Munster need to maintain their momentum during this critical period. The games:-

    1. 03/02/2017 19:35 Edinburgh Rugby v Munster Rugby Myreside
    2. 10/02/2017 19:35 Munster Rugby v Newport Gwent Dragons Irish Independent Park
    3. 18/02/2017 17:15 Ospreys v Munster Rugby Liberty Stadium
    4. 24/02/2017 19:35 Munster Rugby v Scarlets Thomond Park
    5. 04/03/2017 17:15 Cardiff Blues v Munster Rugby BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park


    Of course some of the players called up by Ireland will be released by Joe from match-day squads but for some of the younger players this is both an opportunity and a challenge. In most areas we can still put together some pretty strong options, for example in the second row with Kleyn, Foley, O'Shea and Madigan. On the flipside, we are short of props with Cronin injured and Killer and John Ryan likely to be retained in camp even if they aren't picked for games. We will be relying on Stephen Archer and Brian Scott and presumably can bring Peter McCabe back from Galway under these circumstances.

    Hopefully in the back-line Sweetnam is not too far off and it would be nice to see young lads like Goggin and Nash getting some game-time. But with Tyler, Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams, Jaco Taute, Francis Saili and Ronan O'Mahoney, we should have reasonably strong line-ups given that the other teams will also be depleted somewhat, especially Ospreys.

    While nothing like as difficult as the last 8 matches, we must target at least 4 wins from this 5 to maintain our top two status as a number of teams like Connacht and Ulster will be targeting this block to climb back up the table
    Last edited by Crazyemerald; 23rd-January-2017, 18:46.

    #2
    i reckon we've pretty decent depth at the moment. Props are a definite worry tho. Great opportunity for some of the Academy lads to shine

    Comment


      #3
      I'd say we'll see Killer, Ryan, Holland and Tommy released for at least a couple of the games, likely Scannell and Conway as well in the backs.

      Kilcoyne Marshall Ryan
      Kleyn Holland
      DOC JOD TOD
      Williams Tyler
      ROM Scannell Taute Sweetnam
      Conway

      McCabe, O'Byrne, Archer, Foley, Copeland, Toma, Keatley, Sailli

      That's a very strong 23 considering the players figuring for Ireland and those missing to injury.

      Comment


        #4
        Looking forward to seeing how Marshall gets on, I think he's really been pushing Niall Scannell with his appearances off the bench - looks to be a great signing
        Marty in the Morning

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Crazyemerald View Post
          It is fantastic to see 13 Munster players in the initial 40 man squad for the first 2 games but of course Munster need to maintain their momentum during this critical period. The games:-

          1. 03/02/2017 19:35 Edinburgh Rugby v Munster Rugby Myreside
          2. 10/02/2017 19:35 Munster Rugby v Newport Gwent Dragons Irish Independent Park
          3. 18/02/2017 17:15 Ospreys v Munster Rugby Liberty Stadium
          4. 24/02/2017 19:35 Munster Rugby v Scarlets Thomond Park
          5. 04/03/2017 17:15 Cardiff Blues v Munster Rugby BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park


          Of course some of the players called up by Ireland will be released by Joe from match-day squads but for some of the younger players this is both an opportunity and a challenge. In most areas we can still put together some pretty strong options, for example in the second row with Kleyn, Foley, O'Shea and Madigan. On the flipside, we are short of props with Cronin injured and Killer and John Ryan likely to be retained in camp even if they aren't picked for games. We will be relying on Stephen Archer and Brian Scott and presumably can bring Peter McCabe back from Galway under these circumstances.

          Hopefully in the back-line Sweetnam is not too far off and it would be nice to see young lads like Goffins and Nash getting some game-time. But with Tyler, Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams, Jaco Taute, Francis Saili and Ronan O'Mahoney, we should have reasonably strong line-ups given that the other teams will also be depleted somewhat, especially Ospreys.

          While nothing like as difficult as the last 8 matches, we must target at last 4 wins from this 5 to maintain our top two status as a number of teams like Connacht and Ulster will be targeting this block to climb back up the table
          Sorry for my ignorance but who's Goffins and where does he play?

          Comment


            #6
            The first two weeks, with Ireland being away from home you would think that Ryan and Killer could travel as back up even if they aren't picked.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
              The first two weeks, with Ireland being away from home you would think that Ryan and Killer could travel as back up even if they aren't picked.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              We play in Edinburgh the same weekend as Ireland play Scotland tho Joe probably wouldn't gamble on allowing them play for Munster if he wanted them as cover for Ireland.

              Comment


                #8
                Apologies for my typo of Dan Goggin's name

                A squad up-date with Dave Foley joining James Cronin on the injury list

                Squad Update


                23 January 2017 17:34



                James Cronin
                Inpho

                With 13 representatives named on the Ireland squad for the opening two rounds of the 6 Nations the remaining members of the Munster squad are on a recovery week.

                On the injury front, prop James Cronin underwent surgery yesterday and has been ruled out for approximately 6 to 8 weeks with a finger injury.

                The Munster A game in Allianz Park on Friday night has also taken its toll with Dave Foley sustaining a wrist injury and the Tipperary lock will now seek specialist opinion.

                Academy number 8 Gavin Coombes is also under medical review for a shoulder injury.

                Currently unavailable - Darren Sweetnam (knee), Robin Copeland (thumb), Sam Arnold (knee), Alex Wootton (shoulder), Sean McCarthy (knee), Mark Chisholm (concussion), Duncan Casey (knee), Mike Sherry (back), Cathal Sheridan (ankle).






                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by diarm View Post
                  I'd say we'll see Killer, Ryan, Holland and Tommy released for at least a couple of the games, likely Scannell and Conway as well in the backs.

                  Kilcoyne Marshall Ryan
                  Kleyn Holland
                  DOC JOD TOD
                  Williams Tyler
                  ROM Scannell Taute Sweetnam
                  Conway

                  McCabe, O'Byrne, Archer, Foley, Copeland, Toma, Keatley, Sailli

                  That's a very strong 23 considering the players figuring for Ireland and those missing to injury.
                  McCabe on loan to Galway for how long?
                  I am the million man.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                    McCabe on loan to Galway for how long?
                    Not sure but I assumed there'd be an option for us to recall him having lost Cronin to injury, Du Toit to SA and potentially Killer to Ireland.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      That is a bad prognosis for Cronin.


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Injury numbers are creeping back up. Dave Foley is having no luck. I notice Duncan Casey is mentioned as having a knee issue - I thought it was a pectoral injury, or had he started back training and been injured again?
                        Tis but a scratch.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                          Injury numbers are creeping back up. Dave Foley is having no luck. I notice Duncan Casey is mentioned as having a knee issue - I thought it was a pectoral injury, or had he started back training and been injured again?
                          He picked up the knee injury in October V Glasgow, pec injury was last season I think?

                          Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
                          Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
                          Munster: Early Season
                          Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
                          Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
                          Munster: Full Season Highlights.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Damn my memory ...
                            Tis but a scratch.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              13 away with Ireland and 12 listed as injured.

                              Another block of difficulty games to be managed.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X