The Fields of Athenry - Christmas Number 1 in Memory of Axel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Fields of Athenry - Christmas Number 1 in Memory of Axel

Hi lads, the Facebook campaign to get The Fields of Athenry to Number 1 in the charts in memory of Axel was launched last night at this facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Christmas-N...35739/?fref=ts

The response has been immense thus far, with the song already at Number 1 in the iTunes charts! Its a version by Karen Corbin and only costs 99 cent to download.

Here's the original post from last night:
    OK Lets do this NOW, lets get FIELDS OF ATHENRY in the charts for Axel !!x BUY from here https://itunes.apple.com/…/…/ready-for-the-storm/id900546949 here https://itunes.apple.com/…/the-fields-of-athen…/id900546949… & here https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LWIGZ...dm_ws_tlw_trk5 and any other legal download site you use. BUY and Share THANK YOU.

Let's keep it at Number 1 for Christmas! I think it's a great gesture.
    and my home, my home is there.

Is this official lads?
    Where is the money going to?

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon View Post
      Is this official lads?
      Where is the money going to?
      I've got no connection to the campaign, just wanted to share. I assume the money isn't going anywhere charitable

Comment

If someone's going to profit from that, that would be an absolutely atrocious thing to do

Comment

Ya the musician should really donate the proceeds to something, but money aside I think it's a lovely gesture in Axel's memory

Comment

I'm not sure it's a great gesture at all. Using the man's memory to sell downloads. No visible charitable intent, just talk of it being "For Axel".

It seems pretty ****ing dubious to me to be honest.
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Yea sure why don't second hand car dealers start flogging Toyota's "for Axel" it's very tasteless IMO

Comment

I won't be purchasing anyway.

Comment

Karen Corbin‎ to Christmas Number 1 for Axel
                  November 30 at 4:18pm ∑

I have just found out about your very touching online campaign that has been launched to get Pete St. John's `The Fields of Athenry' to Christmas number 1 in memory of the rugby great, Anthony Foley.

In addition, I am so deeply honored and surprised that you selected my recorded version.
                  `The Fields of Athenry' is one of my favourite Irish songs and has a great deal of meaning & inspiration for me musically and personally. I know that this is lyrically a sad song, but it's always held a special place in my heart as it defines a strong sense of hope and resilience – the way I have lived my life since a very young age. We should never give up on our passions and dreams, no matter how tough our lives may get.
                  Even though I was born, raised and reside in Nova Scotia, Canada, I am proud to say that my ancestry `Corbin' roots date back to Dublin in the late 1700's and I have visited Ireland several times with extended family living in Kill, County Kildare.

What makes this personally extra special is my rugby connection. My husband Brian is long≠time member of the #PictouCountyRugbyClub here in #Pictou County, Nova Scotia, Canada and even has his very own Munster Rugby Jersey. We share your passion.

Along with the Mayor of Limerick, Cllr. Kieran O'Hanlon, I want you all to know that I support this very heartfelt campaign 100%.
                  The passing of Anthony Foley has left a very deep void in the world of rugby.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepers View Post
                    Karen Corbin‎ to Christmas Number 1 for Axel
                    November 30 at 4:18pm ∑

I have just found out about your very touching online campaign that has been launched to get Pete St. John's `The Fields of Athenry' to Christmas number 1 in memory of the rugby great, Anthony Foley.

In addition, I am so deeply honored and surprised that you selected my recorded version.
                    `The Fields of Athenry' is one of my favourite Irish songs and has a great deal of meaning & inspiration for me musically and personally. I know that this is lyrically a sad song, but it's always held a special place in my heart as it defines a strong sense of hope and resilience – the way I have lived my life since a very young age. We should never give up on our passions and dreams, no matter how tough our lives may get.
                    Even though I was born, raised and reside in Nova Scotia, Canada, I am proud to say that my ancestry `Corbin' roots date back to Dublin in the late 1700's and I have visited Ireland several times with extended family living in Kill, County Kildare.

What makes this personally extra special is my rugby connection. My husband Brian is long≠time member of the #PictouCountyRugbyClub here in #Pictou County, Nova Scotia, Canada and even has his very own Munster Rugby Jersey. We share your passion.

Along with the Mayor of Limerick, Cllr. Kieran O'Hanlon, I want you all to know that I support this very heartfelt campaign 100%.
                    The passing of Anthony Foley has left a very deep void in the world of rugby.

But thanks for the Royalty cheque

Comment

Wouldn't it be Pete St John who's getting a nice royalty cheque from this and not this singer?

Comment

Originally posted by Keyop View Post
                        But thanks for the Royalty cheque
                        Bah Humbug

Comment

I would question if permission was sought or granted to use the image of Anthony Foley for this. By the way, the singer and author would get royalties. The former if recording is less than 70 years (I think that is it now) and the author until RIP plus 70 years.!

Comment

Originally posted by untilyouhearthatbell View Post
                            Bah Humbug
                            Humbugs have a taste
                            This doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by Keyop View Post
                              Humbugs have a taste
                              This doesn't
                              campaign wasn't made by the singer it was made by supporters. If it was made by the singer I would agree. It's currently at number 1 so a lot of people see the good in it

Comment

Working...
                              X