What it Means

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What it Means

The last 4-5 weeks have been a whirlwind in Munster. We haven't had a chance to stop and take a breath. The entire country was rocked by the untimely death of the great Anthony Foley. It provided a reminder to Munster fans all over the country of the connection we've all had with this team over the years. That sleeping giant was woken again by that performance the current crop of players produced against Glasgow the day after the funeral. The entire crowd was hurting and we could see the hurt the players felt as well.

I honestly believe something special is building in Munster again. It may not be this year, it may not be next year but I believe this team are heading towards the top table again. There'll be good days and bad days along the way. Some players will have poor games on occasions but every one of them have the heart and desire that warrant their place in this squad. The pride to be a Munster supporter has returned.

If ever a group of players deserved a holiday this week its the Munster players.

Words I thought I'd never hear myself say: Roll on Treviso!

#SUAF

I couldn't care less if we were bottom of the league for the next five years if this spirit and enthusiasm for, and the pride in our community continued.

Someone said to me the most amazing thing he saw happen was the Ulster crowd singing The Fields of Athenry after Anthony Foley's passing. He was someone who had direct interaction with the sectarianism and hate that imbued the North/South divide in rugby, and in so many other ways. For people from the Republic to be cheering on the likes of Trimble, and for Northern Ireland and Ulster to be cheering on an island united at least in rugby means so much. And someone pointed out another sign happening on this forum; a Munster fan calling for a Leinster player's inclusion in the national team, and a visiting Leinster fan saying that place on the team could just as rightfully be a Munster player's. It's showing we're united behind far more than results and wins, even though I'll never turn down a win.

If rugby represents anything, and I feel it does then this passion can't be limited to supporting Munster, or the national team. It needs to be taken to the Irish women's team, the AIL teams, the underage clubs who fall outside a dominant school system, and further. The attitude prevalent in Irish rugby right now needs to feed into far more than rugby. There needs to be a determination that this strength works for the disadvantaged and marginalised in Ireland, even if it's just taking them for a drink and showing them the unity of the rugby family can work for them too.

Daoine Abú!

Comment

I think a certain amount of apathy set in the last few years both in the club and amongst the supporters. It has unfortunately taken Anthony Foleys passing to remind us all of how lucky we are to have such a great club on our doorstep. A club with a history that grows year on year, there will be barren years but they just remind us of how sweet the good times are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrenda View Post
        I couldn't care less if we were bottom of the league for the next five years if this spirit and enthusiasm for, and the pride in our community continued.
        A large element of that goes with winning.
        He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Someone said to me the most amazing thing he saw happen was the Ulster crowd singing The Fields of Athenry after Anthony Foley's passing. He was someone who had direct interaction with the sectarianism and hate that imbued the North/South divide in rugby, and in so many other ways. For people from the Republic to be cheering on the likes of Trimble, and for Northern Ireland and Ulster to be cheering on an island united at least in rugby means so much. And someone pointed out another sign happening on this forum; a Munster fan calling for a Leinster player's inclusion in the national team, and a visiting Leinster fan saying that place on the team could just as rightfully be a Munster player's. It's showing we're united behind far more than results and wins, even though I'll never turn down a win.

If rugby represents anything, and I feel it does then this passion can't be limited to supporting Munster, or the national team. It needs to be taken to the Irish women's team, the AIL teams, the underage clubs who fall outside a dominant school system, and further. The attitude prevalent in Irish rugby right now needs to feed into far more than rugby. There needs to be a determination that this strength works for the disadvantaged and marginalised in Ireland, even if it's just taking them for a drink and showing them the unity of the rugby family can work for them too.

Daoine Abú!
          In 40 odd years involved in club rugby I have never experienced sectarianism. I have been welcomed in many clubs in NI as have many others. Ireland has always had a united support in rugby.
          A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Originally posted by 5eight View Post
            In 40 odd years involved in club rugby I have never experienced sectarianism. I have been welcomed in many clubs in NI as have many others. Ireland has always had a united support in rugby.
            Someone was lying to me about what The Fields of Athenry being sung meant to him, then.

Comment

Someone was lying to me about what The Fields of Athenry being sung meant to him, then.
              Maybe he did lie, I could careless. You mentioned sectarianism and hatred being imbued in north / south rugby, I stated that in my years involved in club rugby I didn't witness any. Then again I could be lying.
              A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

The father of a prominent munster player from the 80 s, who was also capped for Ireland, told me of visiting ravenhill and getting a very frosty reception on more than one occasion. Either way, glad things are now the way they are.

Comment

Seeing Thomond and Musgrave full again over the last few weeks has made me incredibly proud, and I'm going to every game possible from now on. Munster have the most difficult block of fixtures that I've seen for years during December and January, and I'm going to be in Thomond for the Treviso game to start off that block of games with a bonus point win. Ireland v Australia will be watched in the pub afterwards.
                  and my home, my home is there.

Comment

Working...
                  X