No announcement yet.

Post Match Press

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Post Match Press

    <div ="storyer">
    <h1>Munster 20-0 Llanelli Scarlets</h1>
    @@@@SPAN ="storyDate">Saturday, 14 April 2007 22:33@@@@/SPAN>
    <div ="story">

    gained revenge for their recent Heineken Cup exit as they kept Scarlets
    scoreless in a low-key Magners League encounter at Musgrave Park.

    With their gaze firmly on next weekend's European semi-final against
    Leinster, Llanelli travelled without most of their front-line players
    and head coach Phil Davies also chose to sit out the trip to Cork.

    Munster, however, were on a mission despite not having any silverware within their sights.<div id="story_island"> </div>

    Never in their professional rugby history have they lost three home
    matches in a row and the province proudly kept that record intact
    tonight, following recent losses to Leicester and Cardiff.

    Tries from Marcus Horan, Barry Murphy and Anthony Foley got Declan
    Kidney's side back to winning ways and edged them closer to
    seventh-placed Edinburgh in the league standings.

    Llanelli, who included only four players from the side that thrashed
    the Borders last week, were immediately on the back foot and prop Horan
    launched himself over a close-range ruck to notch Munster's opener in
    the fourth-minute.

    Ronan O'Gara missed the conversion but the Scarlets, with so many
    changes, struggled to gain a foothold in the game and it was Munster
    who always looked the more potent.

    Opting to keep the ball in hand rather than kick for the corners,
    the hosts stuck to their game-plan, but as the half wore on they were
    struggling to convert their dominance into points.

    Scarlets scrum-half Liam Davies caught the eye behind the scrum, although his outside backs were well shackled throughout.

    An O'Gara penalty from in front of the posts handed Munster their
    8-0 buffer for the break, and the half closed with the visitors down to
    14 men as Scarlets skipper James Bater saw yellow for a dangerous
    tackle on Mossy Lawlor.

    Encouragingly for coach Kidney, Munster were sharply out of the
    blocks for the second period and they made their numerical advantage
    pay when a neat chip through from O'Gara was gathered by Brian Carney,
    and he showed excellent hands when challenged by two players to offload
    for centre Murphy to slice over for the second try.

    Munster continued to press for tries with man of the match Lifeimi Mafi the liveliest of the home backs.

    Foley then plunged over from a forward drive, just past the hour mark, to confirm the Scarlets' first defeat in five matches.

    <div ="users">
    <a href="java&#115;cript[img]smileys/razz.gif[/img]rintPreview()">


    printable version

    <a href="java&#115;cript MailToAFriend" target="_blank">


    send to a friend


    <div ="separator"></div>
    Story from RTÉ Sport:

    <div ="line">
    Munster 20-0 Scarlets

    <div ="bo">

    Munster ([img]smileys/cool.gif[/img] 20


    Horan, Murphy, Foley.





    Scarlets (0) 0


    Munster carved out a 20-point win over their Heineken Cup conquerors the Scarlets at Musgrave Park on Saturday.

    A fifth-minute try from Marcus Horan and a penalty by Ronan O'Gara had the Irish province 8-0 ahead at half-time.

    That lead was extended to 13 when O'Gara's kick through fell kindly for
    Brian Carney and the former League star laid off for Brian Murphy to go

    Anthony Foley forced his way over for Munster's third try which Irish fly-half O'Gara converted.

    <div ="bo">

    The Scarlets, with one eye on their cup semi-final date with Leicester Tigers, rested several first team regulars.

    Declan Kidney also used the match to evaluate some of Munster's fringe players.

    Munster stay in eighth place but are now just a point behind Glasgow and Edinburgh and three short of the fifth-placed Scarlets.


    Lawlor, Carney, Murphy, Mafi, Horgan, O'Gara, O'Leary, Horan, Sheahan,
    Hayes, O'Callaghan, O'Driscoll, D. Ryan, O'Sullivan, Foley.


    Fogarty, Pucciariello, Wyatt, Coughlan, O'Meara, Manning, Kelly.

    Llanelli Scarlets:

    B. Davies, Daniel, Watkins, G. Evans, M. Jones, C. Thomas, L. Davies,
    John, Owen, Dunlea, Afeaki, A. Jones, D. Jones, Bater, N. Thomas.


    J. Davies, George, Cooper, G. Thomas, Stuart-Smith, Mackey, G. Evans.


    Peter Allan (Scotland).




    Story from BBC SPORT:


      <h2 ="clear">Munster enact cold vengeance</h2>

      <h3>Saturday 14th April 2007</h3>

      <div ="story">


      @@@@SPAN id="intelliTXT">Munster
      avenged their Heineken Cup quarter-final exit at the hands of the
      Llanelli Scarlets with a 20-0 win over the Welsh in the Magners League
      at Musgrave Park on Saturday.

      More to follow...

      The Scorers:

      For Munster:

      Tries: Horan, Murphy, Foley

      Con: O'Gara

      Pen: O'Gara

      Yellow cards: Bater (39, Scarlets, professional foul)

      The teams:

      Munster: 15 Mossy Lawlor, 14 Brain Carney, 13 Barry Murphy,
      12 Lifeimi Mafi, 11 Anthony Horgan, 10 Ronan O'Gara, 9 Tomas O'Leary, 8
      Anthony Foley (c), 7 John O'Sullivan, 6 Donnacha Ryan, 5 Mick
      O'Driscoll, 4 Donncha O'Callaghan, 3 John Hayes, 2 Frank Sheahan, 1
      Marcus Horan

      Replacements: 16 Denis Fogarty, 17 Federico Pucciariello,
      18 Chris Wyatt, 19 James Coughlan, 20 Brian O'Meara, 21 Jeremy Manning,
      22 John Kelly

      Scarlets:15 Barry Davies, 14 Darren Daniel, 13 Matthew
      Watkins, 12 Gavin Evans, 11 Mark Jones, 10 Ceiron Thomas, 9 Liam
      Davies, 8 Nathan Thomas, 7 James Bater (c), 6 Dafydd Jones, 5 Adam
      Jones, 4 Inoke Afeaki, 3 Craig Dunlea, 2 Ken Owens, 1 Phil John

      Replacments: John Davies, Daniel George, Vernon Cooper, Gavin Thomas, Clive Stuart-Smith, Paul Mackey, Garan Evans

      Kick-off: 19:30 (18:30 GMT)

      Referee: Peter Allan (Scotland)

      Touch judges: A Rogan (Ireland), E O'Dowd (Ireland)@@@@/SPAN>