Re-name the West Stand in honour of Anthony Foley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-name the West Stand in honour of Anthony Foley

I know we are all still trying to absorb this stunning loss but I really feel that we should turn our thoughts to a tribute to Axel. Munster have had many heroes over the years, including the men of '78 with Anthony's father Brendan amongst them. And of course the band of brothers who fought relentlessly at his side until they achieved their goal of European triumph in '06 and '08. But these circumstances are different - he was one of our own who lived for rugby with Shannon, Munster and Ireland from an early age through-out his life. In good times and bad he was the quintessential Munster man dedicated to the cause, joyous in the triumphs, devastated by the set-backs. He died as they say with his boots on, the only way he knew - trying to help Munster achieve against the greatest of odds.

It seems to me that re-naming the West Stand (beside the Shannon clubhouse) would be a fitting tribute and something that the MRSC and the many contributors here on Munsterfans could promote and get behind.

(If the mods feel that this post is inappropriate or too soon, please remove)
    Last edited by Crazyemerald; 17th-October-2016, 18:49.

It would be a fitting tribute.
    Con Artist

Comment

I agree.Not that we will forget Axel..but as a visible sign to put fear into our opposition.
      Something they will see and remember..the Passion heart and soul of Munster Rugby..where it came from..Anthony Foley forever watching over Thomand Park

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
      Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. (Marcus Aurelius, 121-189 AD)

Comment

Simply call it The 8.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
        "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Considering he spent almost his entire playing career and childhood running in and out of that stand in its various guises I think it's the least that can be done in his honour.
          We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
          Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

I'd go for Foley park to be honest. He was Munster rugby.
            Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

I think this is too soon, might get pilloried for saying that but the family haven't even gotten Anthony back here yet. Whilst the sentiment is in earnest I think you need to give his family and friends time and space to grieve before beginning some furore about commemorating him.

There's time enough to do something fitting but to my mind the most fitting thing to do right now is support the heartbroken family. Creating more attention won't do that.

Sorry if that seems disrespectful but I think someone should suggest it.
              I am the million man.

Comment

Very well said Cowboy, fair play.
                We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Agree Cowboy but it is very hard to take in Anthony is gone.
                  Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

The Axel Stand is definitely the best name, and its humorous too, which I think Anthony would have had a chuckle about.
                    Stand up and fight

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                      I think this is too soon, might get pilloried for saying that but the family haven't even gotten Anthony back here yet. Whilst the sentiment is in earnest I think you need to give his family and friends time and space to grieve before beginning some furore about commemorating him.

There's time enough to do something fitting but to my mind the most fitting thing to do right now is support the heartbroken family. Creating more attention won't do that.

Sorry if that seems disrespectful but I think someone should suggest it.
                      Of course, no offence taken Cowboy and I absolutely respect your comments. In every thing we do the Foley family should be the priority. I am just speaking from the heart and I hope they would take some solace and pride from the thought of remembering him in this way at such a dreadful time for them all. As mentioned above, if this is considered inappropriate by all means the mods should remove the thread until a more appropriate time

Comment

Maybe close this thread for another few days?

Comment

Ok, the OP clearly won't mind and it'll only be temporary.
                          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

My apologies, this thread was supposed to be re-opened already, but it completely slipped my mind. I hope it's timely enough now that for many of us outside the immediate family circle, the initial shock of Anthony's loss has given way to thoughts of how to honour and commemorate him.
                            Players being the best players they can be and supporters being the best supporters we can be is probably the best way of doing that - he'd have loved the relentless way we clawed back into the game last week, and the way we annihilated our opponents yesterday. But I do like the suggestion of renaming the West Stand at Thomond in his honour.
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

I love this idea. It's very fitting.

Comment

Working...
                              X