The Johnny Holland thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Johnny Holland thread

I think this man deserves his own thread.

GT has a great interview with him in today's Irish Times. He hasn't got a long career to reflect on, but he's an engaging lad.

My favourite bits:
    "This last month and a half has been, he admits, bittersweet. “It’s been good for me, but it’s not good for any of the players to be playing on a losing team. Even if we’ve won and I’m out with my girlfriend, she’ll say ‘what’s wrong with you? You won the game?’ ‘Yeah,’ I’d say, ‘but it could have gone better for me.’ That’s your own little battle with yourself.”

And ...
    “It’s not good enough to just be selected. You need to be influential."

All the more so as that red 10 jersey comes with history. “It’s iconic and people are used to 10s in Munster being the main man as such. It’s something I probably would have shied away from before my injury. It could give you goosebumps even thinking about it. So you take it by the scruff of the neck and see what you can do with it. But if you’re wearing that number 10 jersey in Munster everyone is protecting you. There’s nobody in that pack that won’t fight for you. It’s a special place to be at the same time.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...ough-1.2638450
    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

It's a tough life at 10.
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

He's a quality young player, you couldn't have asked much more of him from his first few games with us - quality kicking, attacks the line and strong in defence. Fair play to him, he has a lot of pressure on his shoulders.
      When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

He looks to have the game and temperament but needs a prolonged good run - unfortunately for him the season is ending before he can get that. Any squad strengthening will hopefully be in the pack as the first priority.
        ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
        AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

An excellent find for Munster. Already first choice after only making the break through weeks ago! Seems to have a very solid all round game, confidence, intelligence and quick feet to make breaks. He is only going to get better the more he plays.

Comment

Had a few wobbles today, missed most of his kicks and got a bit of a knock, but he kept it together and was still threatening their line in the final quarter. Shows he has the character not to let his head drop.

He has a bright future.

Comment

I love the confidence to try that faked kick in his own 22 with the game and top 6 on the line

Comment

A mixed bag for him today, but he doesn't shirk a tackle.

He's done well having been thrown in at the deep end. Hopefully he's on an upward curve for next season

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                  An excellent find for Munster. Already first choice after only making the break through weeks ago! Seems to have a very solid all round game, confidence, intelligence and quick feet to make breaks. He is only going to get better the more he plays.
                  He's 25 in a few months. He's not young. Next year is a huge season for him. I like the look of him but I just don't know if he can up-skill himself to the required standard in his mid-20's. You'd have to ask why it took so long for Munster to identify him as a senior starter despite having him in the ranks for 2 years because it seems like they only turned to him when nobody else was available.
                  Hopefully he'll come up trumps because he seems to have a good mind for the game and generally makes the right decisions at the right times something I'm not sure Keatley ever had.
                  I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                    He's 25 in a few months. He's not young. Next year is a huge season for him. I like the look of him but I just don't know if he can up-skill himself to the required standard in his mid-20's. You'd have to ask why it took so long for Munster to identify him as a senior starter despite having him in the ranks for 2 years because it seems like they only turned to him when nobody else was available.
                    Hopefully he'll come up trumps because he seems to have a good mind for the game and generally makes the right decisions at the right times something I'm not sure Keatley ever had.
                    2 questions

What skills need upping? He can jink, feint and pretty lethal off the tee
                    And you know he's had a massive hamstring injury cost him more than a year?
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                      Apparently had a very serious injury, along the lines of that which finnished POC carrer, I really like the way he attacks the line, very well balanced mover, seems to just float into gaps, hope he fulfills all his potential.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

He seems like he's got real potential, but we'll learn a lot more next season when he has a decent run (if he's selected).

Keatley was so poor that we were all a bit desperate (desperate enough to play a broken Tyler) so anything better than incompetent was a plus.
                        So I don't know if we're blowing his potential out of proportion because Keatley was so bad or if he's really the real deal. I guess a lot will be revealed next season.
                        The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
                          Keatley was so poor...
                          Should Keatley be given an opportunity at 15? He seemed to slot in well as Zebo's replacement an made a fine break from just outside his own 22..

Any chance there of a Warrick mark two with him?

EDIT: His days at 10 are surely over... no?
                          Last edited by NiallGK; 8th-May-2016, 00:48.
                          If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.

Comment

Keatley is a good player to have in the team. He's a fine footballer with great pace and good defence. 10 is a position you need to have bombproof confidence which he doesn't have but he's a big asset to have in the squad. An experiment at 12 maybe, Scannell can't play every game or at 15.
                            When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by NiallGK View Post
                              Should Keatley should be given an opportunity at 15? He seemed to slot in well as Zebo's replacement an made a fine break from just outside his own 22..

Any chance there of a Warrick mark two with him?
                              I really don't know. I hope the break will do him good, he's had a horrible season and it must have been just miserable for him, and the people around him.

I think he's more of a squad player than a starter, but there is a decent player in there..just not at 10. He's able and he preforms well at times, it just takes too long for him to get there. To be honest I liked to see him at 12 which he played a bit under Penney. I think I'd have him at 12 quicker than I would at 15.

He definitely, at this point in his career, doesn't have the confidence or leadership (which I think is needed to play top level rugby at 10) for an out half and I don't think he ever will at this stage.

There is just too much hand holding needed. You'd tolerate it and accept mistakes if he was a young player learning the game, there's a bit of leeway there..but he's 30 next year. Confidence wise he should be nearly bullet proof at this point. He should be the one you rely on to steady the ship, calm the nerves etc. but it's the opposite in his case. And it's not like he has a bad attitude or a poor effort level, he works hard, but it's just too much hard work for very little return.

I think a new fresh set of eyes on the situation will reveal a lot. I think Foley had a bit of tunnel vision when it came to Keatly, I think we all, (in one way or another) have really to be honest, so taking the decision away from Foley and in to the hands of someone new will tell us a lot.
                              Last edited by Stringer9; 7th-May-2016, 22:55.
                              The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Working...
                              X