Ban on Players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ban on Players

Should the IRB consider banning players from the English and French clubs if no agreement is reached in relation to their involvment in the HC next year?

no
    Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Why ban the players?

It's not their fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Drick

Why ban the players?

It's not their fault.

Exactly!
        Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

at the most they might suggest that it is in their interests to get a central contract in a new set up and players under their control would be looked on favourably

similar i suppose to the IRFU picking players in ireland in the early days of the current setup
          "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

No reason to ban the players. The players haven't done anything wrong.

Yet.

Should they take part in a breakaway from Rugby Union however, in the form of an unsanctioned competition, that may be a different matter.
            Comment

No.

However, ifthe current impasse continues and the clubs don't play in the HEC next year, the RFU and FFR should reduce their funding and isolate them as much as possible, forcing them to either acknowledge their place in the hierarchy or break away. If they break away, their players should be banned until they sign central contracts or commit to a club that is playing ball.

It's a hard line but I don't think the French and English unions should compromise on this. There may be blood spilled but these clubs are damaging the game in numerous ways (and I'm not just talking about the HEC boycott here).

They are the ones pushing up player's salaries. They are the ones fighting the release of international players. They are the ones trying to fit in more and more matches and competitionsevery year. They are the ones who'd prefer to sign big name imports than develop home grown talent.

The SH have shown how you can have afour succesful tiers of rugby, from amateur to semi-pro to pro to international. The main obstacle to the unions in the NH mimicking that structure is the intransigence of the English and French clubs, who refuse to rationalise if it means a reduction in their fixture list, which is blatantly what's required.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cahill

Yet.

Should they take part in a breakaway from Rugby Union however, in the form of an unsanctioned competition, that may be a different matter.

... depends on the fine print of the players contract with the club though... I suppose it could say, "you play in games we tell you to play" irrespective of whether they are sanctioned or not.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerob

Originally posted by Dave Cahill

Yet.

... depends on the fine print of the players contract with the club though... I suppose it could say, "you play in games we tell you to play" irrespective of whether they are sanctioned or not.
                  If its not sanctioned, its not Rugby Union.
                  Comment

The unions have done the most they can. They've advised their players that they will have international team consequences if they play in unsanctioned matches (replacements for HEC). IRB has warned they will not sanction any more competitions for next year (a direct warning to English/French) and have said they will support the unions actions. It's pretty clear if you want to play international rugby for England at least you can forget any Anglo-French soirees.

Comment

Working...
                    X