• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erasmus & Nienaber leaving at the end of December

As being reported by the42.ie

http://the42.ie/2618119

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by mr chips; 25th-April-2016, 15:07.

MUNSTER ARE SET to launch a search for a director of rugby to come on board alongside Anthony Foley next season.
    The42 understands that the process to find a suitable candidate to add experience to the Munster backroom staff will formally begin in the coming weeks.

Foley verbally agreed a one-year extension to his contract as head coach in December, though the province’s group-stage exit from the Champions Cup brought some doubts as to whether or not that deal would be signed and sealed.
    However, it’s understood that Foley will remain in situ as head coach at Munster next season.
    Munster have struggled for consistent form under Foley during this campaign, leading to the short-term signing of future Ireland defence coach Andy Farrell as a consultant in January, with the Englishman lending his experience to a homegrown coaching staff.
    The province’s Professional Game Board now appears to have decided that having an experienced figure in a similar position alongside Foley on a permanent basis would be a positive move.
    Naturally Munster will only make an appointment in this director of rugby role if they can find and secure the suitable candidate, but such an appointment would make sense.
    Foley had never held a top-level head coaching position until succeeding Rob Penney as Munster boss in 2014, while his assistant coaches Brian Walsh, Ian Costello, Jerry Flannery and Mick O’Driscoll were all new to their roles too.
    Ulster were the first province in Ireland to move to the director of rugby model, with David Humphreys appointed in that position in 2010, before Les Kiss took up the role following the World Cup earlier this season.

Kiss is a far more hands-on coaching figure than Humphreys, whose main strengths lie in the area of transfers, contracting and other off-field matters of that nature.
    It remains to be seen which avenue Munster go down with their search for a director of rugby ahead of next season, though it does appear that extensive top-level experience will be the key criteria.
    Foley’s reputation as an excellent training ground technician remains strong and the appointment of a wily veteran as Munster’s director of rugby to focus on dealing with the media, succession planning, transfers and contracting may be a sensible option.
    Munster currently sit seventh in the Guinness Pro12 table following last weekend’s defeat to Glasgow Warriors. Foley’s men have a game in hand, but find themselves six points off the play-off positions and will need an upturn in form in the coming weeks if they are to secure a semi-final spot.
    The southern province exited the Champions Cup at the pool stage in January after winning three of their six fixtures.

Comment

Sounds very Bobby Robson Steve Staunton esqe
      Last edited by bosh12; 22nd-February-2016, 18:18.

Comment

Conor O'Shea???

Comment

Its one way of announcing Foley's extension anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
            Its one way of announcing Foley's extension anyway.
            Rob Penney might be tempted back
            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by barryfitz87 View Post
              Conor O'Shea???
              That would be awesome

Comment

The Professional Game Board would be better employed writing their own resignations.

Comment

Good move. While I feel as annoyed and frustrated as most around here, surely Axel has value to give to Munster and Irish rugby. Just jettisoning that right now feels wrong.

On the other hand, I'm starting to feel that Munster Rugby is becoming a bit of a lab rat ...
                  "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                  Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Got to be an improvement on the status quo - christ, I hope it is anyway. But it gets a cautious welcome from me. I suspect that it's the sort of thing which, if the right person is appointed, would start to bear real dividends the season after next rather than in the short term.
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                      Got to be an improvement on the status quo - christ, I hope it is anyway.
                      Or another layer of mediocrity?

Comment

Creating a role just to accommodate Foley's deficiencies? Is that really more financially prudent than just appointing a better head coach?

Comment

The word that came into my head reading the article?

Desperation

I am the million man.

Comment

In theory this idea makes sense, but in practice Munster are struggling in pretty much every area and this is another layer of cost we can't afford.

A D.O.R. doesn't necessarily have any input to coaching don't forget.
                            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post
                              Or another layer of mediocrity?
                              I'm trying my best to hang onto some sort of positive outlook, by my fingernails it has to be said. Taking the broader view for a moment, Foley was an extremely smart player and captain, and was pretty successful with the various assistant coaching roles he held prior to getting the top spot with us. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that he could flourish with a shrewd and canny operator alongside him - albeit far later than anyone would have wanted.

That said, the overall deterioration in our skills and our nous in both defence and attack are not going to be solved by an appointment at the top alone - we'll absolutely have to bring in different personnel to address that, or those same issues will continue to dog us.

NB please don't take this as some sort of happy-clappy cheerleading on my part - I'm very far from that place.
                              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Working...
                              X