X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brenny
    replied
    Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
    Munster really need to develop their pick and drive game a bit more although admittedly Ospreys defence was excellent.

Top 4 looking unlikely now... and a very difficult draw in HCup next year.

ps French clubs will have restrictions on overseas players - I think from next year? - I haven't seen any analysis on what this means in terms of them having to release players - or is it only going forward?

At times we do nothing except pick and drive but against Ospreys we didn't do it enough. Their defence was good because they were consistently offside. As T78 said, you can't blame them for doing this if the ref isn't whistling. To counteract a team with a quick/offside defensive line you either 1)get the scrumhalf to dummy and then break 2) pick and drive 3) use a clever chip.

We didn't have the on-field brains to know what we should be doing.

Leave a comment:

• Dearg Doom
    replied
    Originally posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    As reported it was fecking freezing. Highlight of the match for me was Sweetnams try saving chase down, the boy has pace.
    that (Sweetnam) was my highlight also plus his sweet offload for the 3rd try! I waxed lyrical about it in this weeks blog: https://westterraceview.wordpress.co...alentines-day/

Leave a comment:

• thoughtless
    replied
    The sign of a side with good players but poor coaches is, imo, consistent failures in attack and defence co-existing with relatively regular moments of individual quality. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better description of our play this season than that.

Leave a comment:

• ehhweasel
    replied
    Originally posted by Banished View Post
    Am I fooling myself into thinking we are a good team that is poorly coached? I am consistently waiting for this team to get better but frustrating the performances are getting worse. I was expecting Foley and DOC2, John Ryan, ROM etc to get better but they don't appear to be making progress. I understand the 10 and 9 issue. Watching this game was so frustrating as it was such a winnable game. Are poorly coached and a poor side?
    Great point, you've mentioned the halfbacks problem but I think this can't be overstated. With the team we have our strengths are in the outside backs unlike previous generations. With the 10 we have we get absolutely nothing out of them so we might as well have Dave Kearney and Fergus McFadden out there.

This should have been the season for Dave Foley to step up but it looks like he's not going to be international quality, D Ryan might not ever get back to where he was, Chisholm, meh. Cronin, Sherry, Ryan have done well and look good enough to be competitive in Europe but are not going to be world beaters. Backrow is top notch and we have depth there.

Leave a comment:

• Banished
    replied
    Am I fooling myself into thinking we are a good team that is poorly coached? I am consistently waiting for this team to get better but frustrating the performances are getting worse. I was expecting Foley and DOC2, John Ryan, ROM etc to get better but they don't appear to be making progress. I understand the 10 and 9 issue. Watching this game was so frustrating as it was such a winnable game. Are poorly coached and a poor side?

Leave a comment:

• londongirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Babs (was bthequin) View Post
    Would now be a good time to extend CJ's contract until he's 35?
    Or 40.

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    Munster really need to develop their pick and drive game a bit more although admittedly Ospreys defence was excellent.

Top 4 looking unlikely now... and a very difficult draw in HCup next year.

ps French clubs will have restrictions on overseas players - I think from next year? - I haven't seen any analysis on what this means in terms of them having to release players - or is it only going forward?

Leave a comment:

• Babs (was bthequin)
    replied
    Would now be a good time to extend CJ's contract until he's 35?

Leave a comment:

• ehhweasel
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post
    No chance of getting Stander. Usual rule of thumb is that players who started the international match aren't released, only the subs. Outside chance of Earls or Zebo being released back depending on their fitness.
    We will have to get used to Stander not being available for EVERY match to get us out of trouble! :)

Leave a comment:

• Mike Gibson
    replied
    Originally posted by londongirl View Post
    Got home late. Any chance of getting Stander back. Also, if Earls is fit will he be able to play for his province to get this magic gametime?
    No chance of getting Stander. Usual rule of thumb is that players who started the international match aren't released, only the subs. Outside chance of Earls or Zebo being released back depending on their fitness.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Swanson
    replied
    As reported it was fecking freezing. Highlight of the match for me was Sweetnams try saving chase down, the boy has pace.

Leave a comment:

• londongirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post
    I'd say Munster will probably get Cronin and Ryan back for the Glasgow match.
    Got home late. Any chance of getting Stander back. Also, if Earls is fit will he be able to play for his province to get this magic gametime?

Leave a comment:

• busby
    replied
    We need four top quality NIQs to fall back on in our current situation to have any hope and unfortunately for us we only have one in Saili. We have Tyler who could potentially be that valuable but is crocked, and Botha who used to be but is obviously finished. Chisholm is a good pro, but in the position that we're in we need better quality than what he provides.

It's an easy issue to bring up, but such proper recruitment put Ulster on a very sound platform a few years ago when they were very light on home grown talent.

Leave a comment:

• ehhweasel
    replied
    Just got around to watching this. Yet another match where if you got the 10s to swap jerseys at kickoff Munster definitely would have won.

Zebre's outhalf is better than ours. Only Treviso have a worse 10 than us.

Leave a comment:

• Thomond78
    replied
    Now, to be fair, Billy was doing his damnedest. But he can't bloody do it alone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X