• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Munster target Racing Metro flyhalf Johan Goosen

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...-34425592.html

Munster target Racing Metro flyhalf Johan Goosen

Ruaidhri O'Connor Twitter

PUBLISHED05/02/2016 | 02:30

Munster want to add to their out-half options for next season by recruiting Springbok Johan Goosen from Racing 92.

A former team-mate of Johnny Sexton who has worked under Munster legend Ronan O'Gara for the last two seasons, the 23-year-old has spent two years at the Parisian club. He has a year to run on his contract but is likely to leave a season early after falling behind Dan Carter and Remi Tales in the pecking order.

Goosen has largely been used as a No 15 by the French club given their options at pivot. He has been linked with a return to South Africa with Western Province, but looks more likely to move to Ireland.

The province still need to convince IRFU performance director David Nucifora of the merits of recruiting another overseas signing, but the need for more options in such a key position is clear after Ian Keatley's poor season and Tyler Bleyendaal's run of injuries.

One switch that has seen Nucifora's approval is that of highly rated Ireland U-20 centre Sam Arnold to Munster from Ulster on a two-year deal. He has played 11 times for the senior team already, but finds his route to a centre berth blocked by a slew of internationals and will have a clearer path to a starting berth at the southern province.

Munster have also secured hooker Duncan Casey on a two-year contract in the latest of their retentions, while academy second-row Sean McCarthy has signed a one-year development deal.

Meanwhile, Leinster and the IRFU have a fight on their hands to keep Cian Healy on board after it emerged that the loosehead has been approached by Worcester, who have offered him a three-year-deal.

Indo Sport

Does that signal an early release for Tyler. Assuming ROG has tipped us off on him.
    \"If you can dream it, you can do it\".
    \"To the cowardly and unfaithful, nothing is possible\"

Comment

Without wishing to hurt anyone's feelings, could it be a case of replacing a turkey with a goose?
      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

JJ Hanrahan
        what if,it's bound to come up so i thought id be the first.
        clowns

Comment

Interesting. There seems to be a bit more meat on the bones of this one than the usual transfer gossip, which you wouldn't normally see when a player still has a year left on his contract. Jeez, if we had a reliable 10 and a scrum that didn't go backwards, the only thing left to sort out for next season would be coaching ...
          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by barleys chinos View Post
            JJ Hanrahan
            what if,it's bound to come up so i thought id be the first.
            J.J'S doing fine where he is. He hasnt been great in the games that Ive seen with Saints. I think in the last few times I've seen him his been taking too much out of the ball trying to make a break himself. His under pressure to make things happen in his mind when he should be using his outside backs.
            J.J will come home a better player in two years.
            When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
              Interesting. There seems to be a bit more meat on the bones of this one than the usual transfer gossip, which you wouldn't normally see when a player still has a year left on his contract. Jeez, if we had a reliable 10 and a scrum that didn't go backwards, the only thing left to sort out for next season would be coaching ...
              Turkeys dont vote for Christmas, I'd be hoping Farrell is marking the coaches for a IRFU review and cull.

One of the best things that Ive heard in the Connacht set up is Lam has the lads doing more ball work/skills and the Academy players are training with the first team which brings them on no end.
              When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                J.J'S doing fine where he is. He hasnt been great in the games that Ive seen with Saints. I think in the last few times I've seen him his been taking too much out of the ball trying to make a break himself. His under pressure to make things happen in his mind when he should be using his outside backs.
                J.J will come home a better player in two years.
                I doubt he will be taken back as he will not be needed, we have some good promising outhalfs coming through the system my money is on one of them been our number one in a couple of years time.

Comment

Originally posted by PARISHMAN1970 View Post
                  I doubt he will be taken back as he will not be needed, we have some good promising outhalfs coming through the system my money is on one of them been our number one in a couple of years time.
                  Who are the up and coming ten's? Ive not seen anyone in the underage worthy of mention. Why wouldnt he be taken back? Is it because he left and Munster carry a grudge.
                  If J.J improves as I expect with the gametime and coaching he will be a great player.
                  Outhalf's like J.J ieed gametime and so will your young hopefuls. J.J's ahead of them in the development race It will be more than a few years before they are ready unless your talking about Scannell who can cover 10/12.
                  Leinster have Byrne, Marsh, Carbery and Crosby who are all coming through and unlikely to get the gametime needed in Leinster.
                  One pf them should move to Munster or Connacht.

Comment

He looks handy, and the state of that pitch, couldn't be offloading in those conditions

I am the million man.

Comment

Who are the up and coming ten's? Ive not seen anyone in the underage worthy of mention. Why wouldnt he be taken back? Is it because he left and Munster carry a grudge.
                      If J.J improves as I expect with the gametime and coaching he will be a great player.
                      Outhalf's like J.J ieed gametime and so will your young hopefuls. J.J's ahead of them in the development race It will be more than a few years before they are ready unless your talking about Scannell who can cover 10/12.
                      Leinster have Byrne, Marsh, Carbery and Crosby who are all coming through and unlikely to get the gametime needed in Leinster.
                      Marsh is absolutely rank useless. He will be getting the push at end of season if speculation on other forums is to be believed. Munster have young Johnston coming through. He looks decent
                      My computer thinks I'm gay
                      What's the difference anyway
                      When all the people do all day
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

As Ive said 10's take time to develop. I dont thin Marsh is as bad as you say. His has a few games with Leinster first team, Loads of A caps and has played 10 in underage a good bit for Ireland. I wouldnt call him useless.
                        His a young outhalf its a bumpy road in their development.

Comment

As Ive said 10's take time to develop. I dont thin Marsh is as bad as you say. His has a few games with Leinster first team, Loads of A caps and has played 10 in underage a good bit for Ireland. I wouldnt call him useless.
                          His a young outhalf its a bumpy road in their development.
                          I agree about 10's, i've always backed Carty for example to come good. I just don't see it in Marsh though and neither do the Leinster fans on PR
                          My computer thinks I'm gay
                          What's the difference anyway
                          When all the people do all day
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

I presume you have heard of Johnny Holland and Bill Johnson they are two up and coming out halfs in the Munster system, lets back our own guys and see how they get on before we bring back someone else.

Comment

George North didn't sound to be too impressed with the coaching in Northampton during the week.

Comment

Working...
                              X