X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MunsterBakery
    replied
    Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
    Just watched the game for the first time. I think the nadir has been reached and Munster are on the way back up. TOD was incredible when you consider he was 20 minutes back from a, potentially, career ending injury. A small word for everything that Billy Holland brings to the team, lots of unseen stuff but a leader, no doubt.
    Billy serves his purpose. Will never be a starter but he has the heart, workrate and will plough like a horse when he's called upon.
    Tommy is just a freak of a man but was great piece on Examiner I think or Independent about how he has put on the kgs on his upper body as he thought his upper body strength was lacking for a 7. It seems that we really had a blessing in disguise in 1 way that he missed the RWC. He will tear it up on the harder surfaces in Japan in 4 years no doubt.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Just watched the game for the first time. I think the nadir has been reached and Munster are on the way back up. TOD was incredible when you consider he was 20 minutes back from a, potentially, career ending injury. A small word for everything that Billy Holland brings to the team, lots of unseen stuff but a leader, no doubt.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    It gives me a major headache.

Leave a comment:

• Pythagoras
    replied
    Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
    Can anyone explain, please, the reasoning behind shortened lineouts in your own 22?
    no idea but found this

In your own 22m
    • There will be fewer opposition forwards to put pressure on a clearance.
    • The opposition is likely to be disrupted. They won't expect a shortened lineout in this area of the pitch.
    • But... it's dangerous if it goes wrong. If the ball is lost in the lineout, your defence is poorly positioned to deal with an attack near to your line.

- See more at: http://www.betterrugbycoaching.com/A...tened-lineouts
    Last edited by Pythagoras; 4th-January-2016, 19:16.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Can anyone explain, please, the reasoning behind shortened lineouts in your own 22?

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    What is the point of the TMO?

Leave a comment:

• King Red
    replied
    Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
    Murray Kinsella has done his usual manic uber analysis on both TOD & JOD in thejournal.ie, good reading.
    Particularly enjoying JOD's catch-and-swing tackle on McCloskey just on our line. I was in way better form all yesterday too.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    JOD will benefit greatly from his sojourn at 7, playing out of position forces a guy to work on his weaknesses

Leave a comment:

• Ron Swanson
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    Our pack had not been on the front foot in weeks, Keatley was progressively dropping deeper and deeper. Half fit Tyles was the same in his interpro.
    True enough, we never beat a man when returning kicks either though.

Leave a comment:

• PARISHMAN1970
    replied
    Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
    Murray Kinsella has done his usual manic uber analysis on both TOD & JOD in thejournal.ie, good reading.
    here it is

http://www.the42.ie/analysis-munster...30228-Jan2016/

Leave a comment:

• mr chips
    replied
    Finally got to watch the last 15-20 minutes of the game on YT, and it sure felt different from biting my nails up in the stand, anxiously waiting for yet another cock-up that would throw away the game. For sure, there were some pretty unforgiveable brainfarts - Williams had one particularly dumb moment about five minutes from time where he ran to the wrong side of the ruck and all the way around back to our side, giving away huge territorial advantage in the dying minutes of a two-point game .... Then of course there was Amorosino & GVDH doing a great Laurel & Hardy impression in knocking the ball on and then playing it offside (I suppose in fairness I should also mention the earlier moment when GVDH put in a crucial tackle on Scholes when he was steaming up the touchline - glad to see that he can do it when he wants to).

Overall though, we were much more dominant and confident than I had given us credit for on the day. And it has to be said, Williams was an improvement over TOL both in terms of speed of play (who'da thunk it?) and kicking out of hand. In contrast to ourselves, during the same period of play Ulster looked pretty much like we had done for the last number of weeks - not just physically but mentally tired, devoid of ideas and almost seeming to expect the loss. Credit to Saili, he was a demon in defence and at the breakdown, and was one of the few players in red who regularly threatened to cut through the Ulster defence with ball in hand, rather than bashing into them.

Probably too early to say that we're pulling it all together, but it does feel like we might at least have turned a corner. Keatley was core to that win, both in terms of place-kicks and in terms of how assured he was in controlling the last ten minutes in particular. If he can keep that up for the next couple of weeks at least, there might be a glimmer, just a glimmer of hope.

Originally posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Do you think its a tactic for our outside backs to seek contact? Our backs rarely beat the first tackler. When Amorosino did it in the second half I was so surprised I almost dropped my prawn sandwich.

Our backs moved seldom create any space, hence we never give VDH, Zebo, Earls etc. the ball in space (Which makes having VDH on the pitch a total liability with no upside.)
    You'd have to wonder if it's a tactic alright, or if it's just down to poor coaching. I agree about our failure to create space, and of course it's been a well-worn (but entirely justified) complaint on here over recent weeks in particular. Even Quinnell on the Sky commentary mentioned how easy it was to read our attack, because when a pass skipped a player it didn't look like that player was ever going to be an option in the first place, so defenders could just double up on the actual receiver and close us down straight away.

Until we can get back to the point of creating uncertainty in opposition defences, breaking the line through speed and skill rather than bashing through, we will not be able to create the scoring opportunities necessary in order to have any expectation of a semi-final in the league, let alone winning in Paris next weekend. That's before we get to ironing out the dropped passes, the knocks-on, the inability to successfully compete for high ball (we miss you Felix), the silly penalties ... One away win doesn't draw a veil over any of that.

Leave a comment:

• Grandpasimpson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Red Hand Hero
    replied
    My sincere congratulations on a well deserved win. I'll not get into any of my own personal feelings on Ulster's lack of wherewithal incase it seems like sour grapes, which it certainly is not. Excellent pack performance from Munster who got the better of us at ruck and maul despite my general impression being us being more dominant in the tackle in both attack and defence until around 55/60 minutes. I thought O'Donnell was the best player on the pitch until he went off, hard to believe he's only back from injury. Looks a lot bigger as well and was a complete nuisance at the tackle/breakdown. Thought Jack O'Donoghue looks like a real star in the making and much more comfortable at 6 than he has as a make shift 7. Ulster arguably deserved nothing out of that game given our only points came from a terrible piece of neglect from the ref but I guess he sort of evened things up across the match.

I'd say it gives you guys a place to start from again. I imagine the attack will still be quite blunt in the short term but if you can do as well without the ball against Stade as you did against ourselves I can see two wins from those games. Keatley didn't have to do much but his touch finding was presicent and his goal kicking flawless. Nice to see him bounce back after what must have been a terrible few weeks. Saiili looks a really good player if he can get the rest of those around him on a similar wavelength you'll be cooking sooner rather than later.

Again congrats chaps and chapettes.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Do you think its a tactic for our outside backs to seek contact? Our backs rarely beat the first tackler. When Amorosino did it in the second half I was so surprised I almost dropped my prawn sandwich.

Our backs moved seldom create any space, hence we never give VDH, Zebo, Earls etc. the ball in space (Which makes having VDH on the pitch a total liability with no upside.)
    Our pack had not been on the front foot in weeks, Keatley was progressively dropping deeper and deeper. Half fit Tyles was the same in his interpro.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Swanson
    replied
    Originally posted by mr chips View Post
    He's avoiding rather than seeking contact - we could do worse than reintroduce that type of play to our own arsenal. We have the players to do it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X