No announcement yet.

Ulster v Munster, Pro12, Sat 2nd January 2016 at 3pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So glad to start the new year with a win BUT what an awful display of rugby in attack. Why or why didn't Scannell pass to VdH when he broke the line and created a 2 on 1... surely VdH had enough gas to make it further down the pitch and/or score. Once again we lost the bloody ball after that. So so frustrating! And why in the hell was Amorosino trying to give the game back to them in the last quarter. He completely lost it and other than a good run I don't see what he's bringing to us?? Keatley kicked some pearls out of hand and got his place kicks (at last) but he still doesn't offer much in attack. Mind you he isn't helped by the most appalling scrum half performances with TOL so so slow and Williams passing above the head. If we win the next two games with these guys, I'll be absolutely delighted but I just can't see that happening... So whilst things are looking better they're still bloody bleak!

Just to end on a positive note, TOD's return has been nothing short of excellent - the amount of unseen work he does in defense makes such a huge difference!! If he can get back to full fitness we may be in with a chance of recovering a bit of dignity in attack.

Comment

Originally posted by NiallGK View Post
      Just finished watching it again. The best things about the game were that our pack became stronger as the game went on, especially the back-row, our No.10 grew in confidence (bar the clanger in not finding touch on 79 minutes) and our defence became more and more intelligent and bloody-minded.
      I could see the Munster pack returning before my eyes. With 15 minutes to go, I thought we have this game.
      Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

I'm still very glad of the win, but it doesn't gloss over one of the persistent weaknesses in our game, which is the lack of ability to break the gainline (giving and receiving the ball without standing 5m behind it!) and create an attack that isn't completely predictable. By contrast, if you look at the match video from 1.02.45 and see how Scoles was able to run back at us - he starts from well inside his own 22 and makes it through four of our players before being brought to ground on the 10m where he offloads quickly, keeping the ball alive and keeping us guessing. He's avoiding rather than seeking contact - we could do worse than reintroduce that type of play to our own arsenal. We have the players to do it.
        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
          I'm still very glad of the win, but it doesn't gloss over one of the persistent weaknesses in our game, which is the lack of ability to break the gainline (giving and receiving the ball without standing 5m behind it!) and create an attack that isn't completely predictable. By contrast, if you look at the match video from 1.02.45 and see how Scoles was able to run back at us - he starts from well inside his own 22 and makes it through four of our players before being brought to ground on the 10m where he offloads quickly, keeping the ball alive and keeping us guessing. He's avoiding rather than seeking contact - we could do worse than reintroduce that type of play to our own arsenal. We have the players to do it.
          He's a very good player, is Rory Scholes. One of Bowe or Trimble will start to slow down sooner rather than later so it's good for Ulster (and Ireland) that there's another winger stepping up to the plate.

It's actually crazy how many outside backs Ulster are producing at the moment.

Comment

Watching Saturday really drove home how poor our backup options to Murray are. Some of the passing from Tomas was dreadful and when Williams was introduced his brain fart nearly cost us the game.

Comment

Clearly not interested in impressing Joe

Comment

He's avoiding rather than seeking contact - we could do worse than reintroduce that type of play to our own arsenal. We have the players to do it.
                Do you think its a tactic for our outside backs to seek contact? Our backs rarely beat the first tackler. When Amorosino did it in the second half I was so surprised I almost dropped my prawn sandwich.

Our backs moved seldom create any space, hence we never give VDH, Zebo, Earls etc. the ball in space (Which makes having VDH on the pitch a total liability with no upside.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Swanson View Post
                  Do you think its a tactic for our outside backs to seek contact? Our backs rarely beat the first tackler. When Amorosino did it in the second half I was so surprised I almost dropped my prawn sandwich.

Our backs moved seldom create any space, hence we never give VDH, Zebo, Earls etc. the ball in space (Which makes having VDH on the pitch a total liability with no upside.)
                  Our pack had not been on the front foot in weeks, Keatley was progressively dropping deeper and deeper. Half fit Tyles was the same in his interpro.
                  I am the million man.

Comment

My sincere congratulations on a well deserved win. I'll not get into any of my own personal feelings on Ulster's lack of wherewithal incase it seems like sour grapes, which it certainly is not. Excellent pack performance from Munster who got the better of us at ruck and maul despite my general impression being us being more dominant in the tackle in both attack and defence until around 55/60 minutes. I thought O'Donnell was the best player on the pitch until he went off, hard to believe he's only back from injury. Looks a lot bigger as well and was a complete nuisance at the tackle/breakdown. Thought Jack O'Donoghue looks like a real star in the making and much more comfortable at 6 than he has as a make shift 7. Ulster arguably deserved nothing out of that game given our only points came from a terrible piece of neglect from the ref but I guess he sort of evened things up across the match.

I'd say it gives you guys a place to start from again. I imagine the attack will still be quite blunt in the short term but if you can do as well without the ball against Stade as you did against ourselves I can see two wins from those games. Keatley didn't have to do much but his touch finding was presicent and his goal kicking flawless. Nice to see him bounce back after what must have been a terrible few weeks. Saiili looks a really good player if he can get the rest of those around him on a similar wavelength you'll be cooking sooner rather than later.

Again congrats chaps and chapettes.

Comment

Murray Kinsella has done his usual manic uber analysis on both TOD & JOD in thejournal.ie, good reading.
                      "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Finally got to watch the last 15-20 minutes of the game on YT, and it sure felt different from biting my nails up in the stand, anxiously waiting for yet another cock-up that would throw away the game. For sure, there were some pretty unforgiveable brainfarts - Williams had one particularly dumb moment about five minutes from time where he ran to the wrong side of the ruck and all the way around back to our side, giving away huge territorial advantage in the dying minutes of a two-point game .... Then of course there was Amorosino & GVDH doing a great Laurel & Hardy impression in knocking the ball on and then playing it offside (I suppose in fairness I should also mention the earlier moment when GVDH put in a crucial tackle on Scholes when he was steaming up the touchline - glad to see that he can do it when he wants to).

Overall though, we were much more dominant and confident than I had given us credit for on the day. And it has to be said, Williams was an improvement over TOL both in terms of speed of play (who'da thunk it?) and kicking out of hand. In contrast to ourselves, during the same period of play Ulster looked pretty much like we had done for the last number of weeks - not just physically but mentally tired, devoid of ideas and almost seeming to expect the loss. Credit to Saili, he was a demon in defence and at the breakdown, and was one of the few players in red who regularly threatened to cut through the Ulster defence with ball in hand, rather than bashing into them.

Probably too early to say that we're pulling it all together, but it does feel like we might at least have turned a corner. Keatley was core to that win, both in terms of place-kicks and in terms of how assured he was in controlling the last ten minutes in particular. If he can keep that up for the next couple of weeks at least, there might be a glimmer, just a glimmer of hope.

Originally posted by Ron Swanson View Post

You'd have to wonder if it's a tactic alright, or if it's just down to poor coaching. I agree about our failure to create space, and of course it's been a well-worn (but entirely justified) complaint on here over recent weeks in particular. Even Quinnell on the Sky commentary mentioned how easy it was to read our attack, because when a pass skipped a player it didn't look like that player was ever going to be an option in the first place, so defenders could just double up on the actual receiver and close us down straight away.

Until we can get back to the point of creating uncertainty in opposition defences, breaking the line through speed and skill rather than bashing through, we will not be able to create the scoring opportunities necessary in order to have any expectation of a semi-final in the league, let alone winning in Paris next weekend. That's before we get to ironing out the dropped passes, the knocks-on, the inability to successfully compete for high ball (we miss you Felix), the silly penalties ... One away win doesn't draw a veil over any of that.
                        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
                          Murray Kinsella has done his usual manic uber analysis on both TOD & JOD in thejournal.ie, good reading.
                          here it is

http://www.the42.ie/analysis-munster...30228-Jan2016/

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                            Our pack had not been on the front foot in weeks, Keatley was progressively dropping deeper and deeper. Half fit Tyles was the same in his interpro.
                            True enough, we never beat a man when returning kicks either though.

Comment

JOD will benefit greatly from his sojourn at 7, playing out of position forces a guy to work on his weaknesses
                              My computer thinks I'm gay
                              What's the difference anyway
                              When all the people do all day
                              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
                                Particularly enjoying JOD's catch-and-swing tackle on McCloskey just on our line. I was in way better form all yesterday too.

Comment

Working...
                                X