Paul O'Connell at Toulon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul O'Connell at Toulon

Time for a new Paul O'Connell thread perhaps.

Hopefully Paulie will make an early, complete recovery from his serious hamstring injury. With his Munster and Ireland days behind him, I'm looking forward to watching his progress in France and the Top 14. May he go well!

Today, he was unveiled in Toulon and, amazingly (to me anyway), spoke about coming back playing early in 2016 ....

Paul O’Connell has revealed that he is on track to make his Toulon debut in the next number of weeks as he targets a return to action in either January or February.

The former Ireland captain was belatedly unveiled at his new club yesterday after delaying his arrival due to the significant hamstring injury he sustained when playing for Ireland against France in October.

He underwent surgery to re-attach the muscle to the bone and says his recovery is on track for a new year’s return.

The 36-year-old signed for the European champions on a €1.2m, two-year deal last April but has finally arrived in the south of France.

“It's good, it's on the mend. I've been doing physio back in Ireland, so I feel very good doing every day things,” he said at a press conference to mark his arrival in France.

“I haven't started running yet. Hopefully, I'll be back January or February, I'm not fully sure yet.”

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...-34293611.html
    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Best of luck to him, strange to see him in a different jersey, but I really hope he does well and is back sooner rather than later. He deserves every success. Is thoroughly missed.. One in a million.
    The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

At least he's in red!
      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Best of luck to Paulie!! With a bit of luck Leinster will turn the mighty Toulon over on Saturday, knocking them out of the supa dupa cup and giving Paulie a nice easy first season in France.
        Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post
          Best of luck to Paulie!! With a bit of luck Leinster will turn the mighty Toulon over on Saturday, knocking them out of the supa dupa cup and giving Paulie a nice easy first season in France.
          You think a loss on Saturday knocks them out? Are you pissed?
          My computer thinks I'm gay
          What's the difference anyway
          When all the people do all day
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Down with this sort of thing and be careful.
            If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
              You think a loss on Saturday knocks them out? Are you pissed?
              no offence taken
              Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Hope he takes loads of comic money back to Limerick.
                Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

From RoG's Examiner column re Paulie.

'His rehab is going well. He’s in Santry for some of it as we speak and they’re the best in the business.

Racing face Toulon in the Champions Cup quarter-final on April 10 and Paulie’s going to be ready.
                  I don’t mind losing to Munster, but losing to Toulon in front of our own supporters with Paulie in opposition colours doesn’t bear thinking.
                  That’s too much of a horror show to contemplate, but Racing have put themselves in such a position with a no-show in Scotland last weekend.'

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/c...ty-378902.html
                  Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

He passed by me in Limerick about a week or so ago, was noticeably limping.

Comment

You'd have to admire Rog there. He doesn't spare the rod with the Racing lads at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenny View Post
                        He passed by me in Limerick about a week or so ago, was noticeably limping.
                        He was probably just having the craic with you.

Comment

Still p***ed off O Connell left.
                          With all his olde die for Munster stuff !!!
                          It makes guys like , Hayes, Wally, Horan, O Gara,
                          Leamy, etc even bigger Munster hero's.
                          I'm sure all could have left for big money.
                          But, I suppose times have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by blade View Post
                            Still p***ed off O Connell left.
                            With all his olde die for Munster stuff !!!
                            It makes guys like , Hayes, Wally, Horan, O Gara,
                            Leamy, etc even bigger Munster hero's.
                            I'm sure all could have left for big money.
                            But, I suppose times have changed.

To be honest im in the same boat , BUT money talks and he was a huge servant for Munster , and who are we to deny him a payday , he'll be back

Comment

Originally posted by mac22 View Post
                              To be honest im in the same boat , BUT money talks and he was a huge servant for Munster , and who are we to deny him a payday , he'll be back
                              I agree....and money is important.

But, the timing of his move wasn't Paulie even with
                              money in the scenario. I reckon there was something else that
                              helped him make his decision. He understood how much he was
                              engrained in Munster and that situation fueled his passion and commitment.
                              He understood that his decision would have
                              bigger consequences that a Zebo or Earls or anyone else leaving
                              and I just can't get my head around him going.
                              Nothing againt the "big man" but if we could understand why he left
                              we could begin our rebuilding !

Comment

Working...
                              X