X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stringer9
    started a topic So how can we fix it?

So how can we fix it?

We all know we're up **** creek without a paddle at the moment.
    The last few weeks have been pretty depressing as rugby goes. I think we're worse off than we were last season but we all know we've problem, so how do we go about getting back to being a force again. With the restriction of lack of money what can be done, what should be done to try and get Munster back.

Try to leave out as much negatives as possible, we need ways forward, not backwards.

1. Management: In my opinion Foley had no business getting the job, he was too inexperienced, and that was reflected even more by hiring his buddies. You get what it says on the tin really in this instance. So for me, we need to bring in a good experienced management team. It's backwards we're going and losing good players in the process.

2. We need to buy smart, we don't have a lot of money when you compare it to France or some English clubs, and it's a hell of a lot harder to buy players when we're playing so poorly, but we need to buy smart when we buy. It's about quality not quantity. Invest smartly. Remember the days when we would worry about the select few that came here if they would buy in to the Munster way. That's now gotten a bit lost and we're shovelling in players from overseas who just aren't that good and to be honest, it doesn't seem like the decision was thought through very well with certain players.

3. A) More matches in Cork. No I don't want the next point to get into an argument re Cork v Limerick, but we're struggling to sell out the ground, it would make more sense to play more matches in Cork, surely a full stadium in Cork would be better than half empty one in Limerick. Build up that bit of an atmosphere get a buzz going again, I really enjoyed the games last year in Cork and I think it's a good way to go. Really try and get fans back into wanting to go. I saw it suggested somewhere that they should run free busses from Cork to Limerick for the matches, I think that's great idea. But not just Cork, the rest of the Munster counties if the interest is there.

B) Repair the relationship between the fans and the club. Look we all want it to be back to how it was.
    Reduce the cost of tickets, let kids in for free. Everything and anything that will get people back in those doors and try and restart that connection between the players and the teams. Get them back involved..Does anyone remember the Munster player race a few years ago, that was a great laugh, stuff like that that gets them back in to the province, give new heroes to the young lads.

4. Player development..We need to bring through more young players. Who have we brought through since Murray, POM, Zebo. Why do we have so many Leinster players who didn't make it there.
    Wally suggested it recently that we need to use the clubs again. I agree with this completely. There must be good players we're missing that fall through the cracks at underage level, that miss out on the academy. Can you imagine the game time and the experience the young players would get just playing club rugby each week.

5. Get players signed back on, I don't think anyone can imagine the damage that would be done to the club if Murray and Zebo go. Get them in.

6. Acceptance of failure.. this for me is going to be a difficult one, as it will take time. We need to accept we're done for now, and start again.
    Get rid of players we know aren't good enough and go from there. It's not always about money it's about development. If you've a team with rock solid basics and a chip on their shoulder I think you'd could get them to go a long way.
    No papering over the cracks, no blaming the referee, no having a go at the fans or journalists for only looking at the negatives. Accept where we are now and deal with it.

It's all about the coaching and that happens at underage level, that's why I think it's so important that we use the clubs to our advantage again. Look at Kilkenny (God help me) hurling. A success endless rotator belt of outstanding hurlers, player after player. There's no transition of young players going out and looking a bit lost, they play their first game in the Kilkenny jersey and they're 10 feet tall. Absolute relentless attitude towards the game, incredible training and incredible basics.

(New Zealand are the same. Look at their success rate of producing top players, and they're population is as small as ours)

No more of.. a 10 that can't kick properly, a hooker who can't throw the ball in well, a scrum half who passes poorly. etc. All players should be able to do the basics well, passing, tackling etc, and then that in turn will let them excel at their own position. Can you imagine if our forwards go pass as well as our backs? And this doesn't start at senior level, if this is only brought in and expected of the Munster team, it's already too late, this is what you teach to the kids.

7. If all else fails hope that ROG will come back with a top class manager an experienced management team, kidnapping JJ on the way..drag Paulie along as well to give them a good shouting at.
    Last edited by Stringer9; 14th-December-2015, 00:23.

• sewa
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
    European rugby came out to play remarkably once this year...on the final day of the 6 nations. For every risk taken there was a score whether it was a successful break or a successful break from a turnover. The scores were high. So rugby was played for 60-70 minutes with the last 10-20 minutes sorting the men from the boys. Those last minutes were where the real metal showed. Who had the plan and the mental metal to close the game out and close it down. Who could deny the excitement of that day? These days we play trying to dictate from the kick off. We're trying to close it down before it's started. I'd rather see that kind of risk rugby game day in day out and lose, than watch boring predictable northern hemisphere rugby by numbers and lose anyway. We've forgotten how to just play rugby and enjoy it. It's time to bring back entertaining rugby matches rather than concentrating on what the score board is saying at the end. The business side is ruining sporting side. Not an easy balance to find but they need each other.
    Absolutely spot on, the negative numpties rule the game up North

Leave a comment:

• blackwarrior
    replied
    Originally posted by greenback View Post
    I don't know how you could say Earls hasn't got spatial awareness as his open field running etc is all about spatial awarebess
    Spatial awareness is the ability to be aware of oneself in space,it is organised knowledge of someone in relation to oneself in that given space...Earls doesn't have that...
    Eh?
    Last edited by blackwarrior; 18th-December-2015, 07:48. Reason: Quoted wrong poster

Leave a comment:

• greenback
    replied
    [QUOTE=ormond lad;1556378]I don't know how you could say Earls hasn't got spatial awareness as his open field running etc is all about spatial awarebess
    Spatial awareness is the ability to be aware of oneself in space,it is organised knowledge of someone in relation to oneself in that given space...Earls doesn't have that...

Leave a comment:

• ormond lad
    replied
    Originally posted by Daithi View Post
    Don't get me started. Nz & Aus (& the SH) have shown how to play the game at this rwc. They play for BPs in their competition. Meanwhile in the NH we are stuck with an antiquated league with no BPs. All these bogus arguments about home & away and a GS not necessarily being a potential league winner are well bogus. Introduce the BPs regardless of home/away, double your points for all games if you win all games i.e. a Grand Slam becomes exactly that. Then sit back and watch pro sides with pro players play proper enterprising rugby, Simples.

The 6Ns need a toe up the posterior, their lack of movement on this is woeful inertia. the last day of the championship this year showed the potential for more scores, more excitement, better rugby & better entertainment with these simple & very overdue changes to BP rugby.
    This idea that bonus points will change things is slightly misguided. Home/away uneven number of games is an issue and grand slam not being winner are not bogus arguments. The last day of the championship this year showed that bonus points don't have to be added for games that have "more excitement", "better rugby" etc

Leave a comment:

• Daithi
    replied
    European rugby came out to play remarkably once this year...on the final day of the 6 nations. For every risk taken there was a score whether it was a successful break or a successful break from a turnover. The scores were high. So rugby was played for 60-70 minutes with the last 10-20 minutes sorting the men from the boys. Those last minutes were where the real metal showed. Who had the plan and the mental metal to close the game out and close it down. Who could deny the excitement of that day? These days we play trying to dictate from the kick off. We're trying to close it down before it's started. I'd rather see that kind of risk rugby game day in day out and lose, than watch boring predictable northern hemisphere rugby by numbers and lose anyway. We've forgotten how to just play rugby and enjoy it. It's time to bring back entertaining rugby matches rather than concentrating on what the score board is saying at the end. The business side is ruining sporting side. Not an easy balance to find but they need each other.
    Don't get me started. Nz & Aus (& the SH) have shown how to play the game at this rwc. They play for BPs in their competition. Meanwhile in the NH we are stuck with an antiquated league with no BPs. All these bogus arguments about home & away and a GS not necessarily being a potential league winner are well bogus. Introduce the BPs regardless of home/away, double your points for all games if you win all games i.e. a Grand Slam becomes exactly that. Then sit back and watch pro sides with pro players play proper enterprising rugby, Simples.

The 6Ns need a toe up the posterior, their lack of movement on this is woeful inertia. the last day of the championship this year showed the potential for more scores, more excitement, better rugby & better entertainment with these simple & very overdue changes to BP rugby.

Leave a comment:

• Boo-boo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ormond lad
    replied
    What's to read? Surely he;s heading for the try line. I can imagine Hansen going into malakai, sonny, ma'am and Conrad and saying "nothing fancy now lads because you might get turned over". Surely we've done safe by numbers rugby and seen the result or lack of it.
    Im not referring at all to anything like "safe by numbers" rugby. You cant appreciate what dangers and opportunities are around if heads down and going gung ho for the line. That's just nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• Boo-boo
    replied
    Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
    Utter nonsense. If player has head down he cant appreciate what is around him. He doesn't know who is near him both in support and trying to stop him. The other 14 are not mind readers. It isn't up to the support to solely figure out how to aid the man in possession. the person making the break has as much fault as those supporting
    What's to read? Surely he;s heading for the try line. I can imagine Hansen going into malakai, sonny, ma'am and Conrad and saying "nothing fancy now lads because you might get turned over". Surely we've done safe by numbers rugby and seen the result or lack of it.

Leave a comment:

• Boo-boo
    replied
    Originally posted by joconnell View Post
    The problem is he's your fastest guy, no one's going to catch up with him before a tackle and a 7 have latched on to him. Himself, conway, zebo and jones had a few instances where they worked really well as a unit so I understand what you're saying - sometimes it's not on to go on a solo run though and you trying to force something might hurt the objectives of the team as a whole. Makes the game more boring looking admittedly.
    There is always a time and a place but he has gone through gaps that paper didn't think it could get through. The other type thinks too much and runs around in fits and starts, jinking, ducking and diving and really getting nowhere fast. By the time he has a plan and his route mapped out his team has caught up with him (great) but so has the defensive line...not great. I think you call it a Fitzgerald. DAmned if you do and damned if you don't.

Leave a comment:

• joconnell
    replied
    A player with the head down and aiming for as far down the field as possible shouldnt be worrying about space. Let the other 14 fellas figure out how to aid a man on a break.
    The problem is he's your fastest guy, no one's going to catch up with him before a tackle and a 7 have latched on to him. Himself, conway, zebo and jones had a few instances where they worked really well as a unit so I understand what you're saying - sometimes it's not on to go on a solo run though and you trying to force something might hurt the objectives of the team as a whole. Makes the game more boring looking admittedly.
    Last edited by joconnell; 17th-December-2015, 13:39.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    A player with the head down and aiming for as far down the field as possible shouldnt be worrying about space. Let the other 14 fellas figure out how to aid a man on a break.
    The head goes down to begin with but players should be heads up, looking and also listening for calls from a player behind, listening for key words from the players behind.

The head down is sprinting technique - effective sprinting is broken into phases and the 'dig phase' is head down, a lean in the body etc etc . . . .but even sprinters don't stay head down - not a mind Rugby Players. Head needs to come up - along with the rest of the body both for technique and speed in the sprint but also key to Rugby to look around and play "heads up" rugby.

Leave a comment:

• ormond lad
    replied
    Utter nonsense. If player has head down he cant appreciate what is around him. He doesn't know who is near him both in support and trying to stop him. The other 14 are not mind readers. It isn't up to the support to solely figure out how to aid the man in possession. the person making the break has as much fault as those supporting

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    Love it, I love this attitude, it's everyone else's fault when he gets turned over and ye cough up a seven pointer as a result.

Leave a comment:

• Boo-boo
    replied
    Originally posted by greenback View Post
    i would agree with you somewhat on Earls...I like him as a winger and he is a good finisher but he hasn't got it for 12/13 as he has no spacial awareness and can be headless at times blind as to who supporting him..Zebo has his limitations but very few Irish players are"total" players

Leave a comment:

Working...
X