X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewa
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
    European rugby came out to play remarkably once this year...on the final day of the 6 nations. For every risk taken there was a score whether it was a successful break or a successful break from a turnover. The scores were high. So rugby was played for 60-70 minutes with the last 10-20 minutes sorting the men from the boys. Those last minutes were where the real metal showed. Who had the plan and the mental metal to close the game out and close it down. Who could deny the excitement of that day? These days we play trying to dictate from the kick off. We're trying to close it down before it's started. I'd rather see that kind of risk rugby game day in day out and lose, than watch boring predictable northern hemisphere rugby by numbers and lose anyway. We've forgotten how to just play rugby and enjoy it. It's time to bring back entertaining rugby matches rather than concentrating on what the score board is saying at the end. The business side is ruining sporting side. Not an easy balance to find but they need each other.
    Absolutely spot on, the negative numpties rule the game up North

Leave a comment:

• blackwarrior
    replied
    Originally posted by greenback View Post
    I don't know how you could say Earls hasn't got spatial awareness as his open field running etc is all about spatial awarebess
    Spatial awareness is the ability to be aware of oneself in space,it is organised knowledge of someone in relation to oneself in that given space...Earls doesn't have that...
    Eh?
    Last edited by blackwarrior; 18th-December-2015, 07:48. Reason: Quoted wrong poster

Leave a comment:

• greenback
    replied
    [QUOTE=ormond lad;1556378]I don't know how you could say Earls hasn't got spatial awareness as his open field running etc is all about spatial awarebess
    Spatial awareness is the ability to be aware of oneself in space,it is organised knowledge of someone in relation to oneself in that given space...Earls doesn't have that...

Leave a comment:

• ormond lad
    replied
    Originally posted by Daithi View Post
    Don't get me started. Nz & Aus (& the SH) have shown how to play the game at this rwc. They play for BPs in their competition. Meanwhile in the NH we are stuck with an antiquated league with no BPs. All these bogus arguments about home & away and a GS not necessarily being a potential league winner are well bogus. Introduce the BPs regardless of home/away, double your points for all games if you win all games i.e. a Grand Slam becomes exactly that. Then sit back and watch pro sides with pro players play proper enterprising rugby, Simples.

The 6Ns need a toe up the posterior, their lack of movement on this is woeful inertia. the last day of the championship this year showed the potential for more scores, more excitement, better rugby & better entertainment with these simple & very overdue changes to BP rugby.
    This idea that bonus points will change things is slightly misguided. Home/away uneven number of games is an issue and grand slam not being winner are not bogus arguments. The last day of the championship this year showed that bonus points don't have to be added for games that have "more excitement", "better rugby" etc

Leave a comment:

• Daithi
    replied
    European rugby came out to play remarkably once this year...on the final day of the 6 nations. For every risk taken there was a score whether it was a successful break or a successful break from a turnover. The scores were high. So rugby was played for 60-70 minutes with the last 10-20 minutes sorting the men from the boys. Those last minutes were where the real metal showed. Who had the plan and the mental metal to close the game out and close it down. Who could deny the excitement of that day? These days we play trying to dictate from the kick off. We're trying to close it down before it's started. I'd rather see that kind of risk rugby game day in day out and lose, than watch boring predictable northern hemisphere rugby by numbers and lose anyway. We've forgotten how to just play rugby and enjoy it. It's time to bring back entertaining rugby matches rather than concentrating on what the score board is saying at the end. The business side is ruining sporting side. Not an easy balance to find but they need each other.
    Don't get me started. Nz & Aus (& the SH) have shown how to play the game at this rwc. They play for BPs in their competition. Meanwhile in the NH we are stuck with an antiquated league with no BPs. All these bogus arguments about home & away and a GS not necessarily being a potential league winner are well bogus. Introduce the BPs regardless of home/away, double your points for all games if you win all games i.e. a Grand Slam becomes exactly that. Then sit back and watch pro sides with pro players play proper enterprising rugby, Simples.

The 6Ns need a toe up the posterior, their lack of movement on this is woeful inertia. the last day of the championship this year showed the potential for more scores, more excitement, better rugby & better entertainment with these simple & very overdue changes to BP rugby.

Leave a comment:

• Boo-boo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ormond lad
    replied
    What's to read? Surely he;s heading for the try line. I can imagine Hansen going into malakai, sonny, ma'am and Conrad and saying "nothing fancy now lads because you might get turned over". Surely we've done safe by numbers rugby and seen the result or lack of it.
    Im not referring at all to anything like "safe by numbers" rugby. You cant appreciate what dangers and opportunities are around if heads down and going gung ho for the line. That's just nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• Boo-boo
    replied
    Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
    Utter nonsense. If player has head down he cant appreciate what is around him. He doesn't know who is near him both in support and trying to stop him. The other 14 are not mind readers. It isn't up to the support to solely figure out how to aid the man in possession. the person making the break has as much fault as those supporting
    What's to read? Surely he;s heading for the try line. I can imagine Hansen going into malakai, sonny, ma'am and Conrad and saying "nothing fancy now lads because you might get turned over". Surely we've done safe by numbers rugby and seen the result or lack of it.

Leave a comment:

• Boo-boo
    replied
    Originally posted by joconnell View Post
    The problem is he's your fastest guy, no one's going to catch up with him before a tackle and a 7 have latched on to him. Himself, conway, zebo and jones had a few instances where they worked really well as a unit so I understand what you're saying - sometimes it's not on to go on a solo run though and you trying to force something might hurt the objectives of the team as a whole. Makes the game more boring looking admittedly.
    There is always a time and a place but he has gone through gaps that paper didn't think it could get through. The other type thinks too much and runs around in fits and starts, jinking, ducking and diving and really getting nowhere fast. By the time he has a plan and his route mapped out his team has caught up with him (great) but so has the defensive line...not great. I think you call it a Fitzgerald. DAmned if you do and damned if you don't.

Leave a comment:

• joconnell
    replied
    A player with the head down and aiming for as far down the field as possible shouldnt be worrying about space. Let the other 14 fellas figure out how to aid a man on a break.
    The problem is he's your fastest guy, no one's going to catch up with him before a tackle and a 7 have latched on to him. Himself, conway, zebo and jones had a few instances where they worked really well as a unit so I understand what you're saying - sometimes it's not on to go on a solo run though and you trying to force something might hurt the objectives of the team as a whole. Makes the game more boring looking admittedly.
    Last edited by joconnell; 17th-December-2015, 13:39.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    A player with the head down and aiming for as far down the field as possible shouldnt be worrying about space. Let the other 14 fellas figure out how to aid a man on a break.
    The head goes down to begin with but players should be heads up, looking and also listening for calls from a player behind, listening for key words from the players behind.

The head down is sprinting technique - effective sprinting is broken into phases and the 'dig phase' is head down, a lean in the body etc etc . . . .but even sprinters don't stay head down - not a mind Rugby Players. Head needs to come up - along with the rest of the body both for technique and speed in the sprint but also key to Rugby to look around and play "heads up" rugby.

Leave a comment:

• ormond lad
    replied
    Utter nonsense. If player has head down he cant appreciate what is around him. He doesn't know who is near him both in support and trying to stop him. The other 14 are not mind readers. It isn't up to the support to solely figure out how to aid the man in possession. the person making the break has as much fault as those supporting

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    Love it, I love this attitude, it's everyone else's fault when he gets turned over and ye cough up a seven pointer as a result.

Leave a comment:

• Boo-boo
    replied
    i would agree with you somewhat on Earls...I like him as a winger and he is a good finisher but he hasn't got it for 12/13 as he has no spacial awareness and can be headless at times blind as to who supporting him..Zebo has his limitations but very few Irish players are"total" players

Leave a comment:

• ormond lad
    replied
    i would agree with you somewhat on Earls...I like him as a winger and he is a good finisher but he hasn't got it for 12/13 as he has no spacial awareness and can be headless at times blind as to who supporting him..Zebo has his limitations but very few Irish players are"total" players
    I don't know how you could say Earls hasn't got spatial awareness as his open field running etc is all about spatial awarebess,

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
    Yeah, agree with the thrust of this. The irfu obviously took a decision about 4 years ago to withdraw resources from the provinces, we can now see the effects of this. They need to reinvest for the good of the game here. Munster most critically need to reinvest imho.

I think I'd run with alternating every 2nd home game in Cork &Limerick until a point in the season when you expect to sell more t than 10K seats for each match. I think that would maximise your ticket sales. I totally agree with improving the overall experience, I think the use of the video screens beforehand in the grounds is a case in point e.g. Surely highlights of t tries &matches of campaigns to date for ~45-90mins would get people into the ground early & make an entertaining prelude to the live match that day. Etc,etc,etc
    Alternating every second game with Limerick and Cork would be nonsensical. Even if 10000 only show up in Thomond its more than what can turn up in Cork. Video screens showing highlights of tries and matches wont get people into the grounds and the terraces earlier.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X