Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whimpersnap
    replied
    Yeah but Lam isn't doing well because he's a kiwi - he's doing well because he's a good coach. Not sure Anscombe did a great job either, for that matter.

Cheika and Schmidt did brilliantly for Leinster but they were very different coaches as well - they haven't an awful lot in common apart from both being antipodean.

As far as having tried the best in Ireland already, why are French clubs putting their time into guys like Mike Prendergast, Ronan O'Gara, Jeremy Davidson and Bernard Jackman? Or Conor O'Shea and Mark McCall (I know he was at Ulster) in England? There's clearly some talent there but we don't seem to be identifying it.

Leave a comment:

• madra_cogaidh_16
    replied
    well of the four provinces here, Lam is topping the pro 12 with feck all resources compared to ourselves and with the returning lady boys; we both have done feck all with two irish coaches due to lack of experience. Anscombe was doing a great job with Ulster before he left. We know all know what schmidt, gatland and cheika have done. As for kidney he was great for munster but the pro game has changed a lot from those days and we`ve tried cork cons best already. The question is where in Ireland do you pick them from, without pro experience ?
    Last edited by madra_cogaidh_16; 16th-December-2015, 00:39.

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    I always find it odd when people say "we need a SH coach", "we need a New Zealand coach", etc. It makes no more or less sense than saying "we need an Irish coach."

Surely any coach search should be begin by identifying what traits you're looking for and then trying to match them to the available pool of talent, no matter where they're from.

Leave a comment:

• madra_cogaidh_16
    replied
    To begin to get us out of this rut we need to find a hungry ambitious coach with new zealand naturally the hunting ground. There`s constant talk about gate revenues, how we buy poorly and munster is dropping as a "franchise" and it makes me sick. Sort out the rugby we play and the crowds and revenue will return. Connaught is the great example of this at the moment. We keep saying we need more money for big over sees signings every time the team plays poorly, but they`ve done so much with so little with one great coach. If a team is led down the right path, players step up and new talent is always developed and found.

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    Originally posted by sewa View Post
    Your list of excuses is wearing thin, thankfully so is Joe's
    There is a world where you can happily equivocate eight weeks to four years, and then claim the opposition is making excuses. I actually believe you would serve very well under the Tory whip in the House of Commons.

Leave a comment:

• FORWARD....
    replied
    Originally posted by BOK View Post
    Rugby at its core is a very simple game. This passage of play is taken from a recent game between Bandon Grammer school and CBC. The attacking team is Bandon:

Hard straight running. Simple effective passing, and this from school boys.

Thats how we fix the problems in Irish rugby IMO. Practice on doing the basics to the highest level possible. Thats what the All Blacks do after all. The basics very well. No magic. No intricate gameplans. Just the simple things done well. I think our coaches have let the basic skill level of our players drop significantly in favour of trying to implement a risk free, errorless gameplan. It is this crippling fear of making a mistake has our players afraid to try anything remotely adventurous. If we can correct this mindset, then maybe, just maybe, we might have Munster play like schoolboys again.
    Plus ca change. Yes- I was told the same thing 30+ years ago. Watch schoolboys rugby if you want to see rugby in its purest form. Of course, part of this is due to the lack of a sufficiently sophisticated defence but the basic skills are drilled, then drilled again.

Leave a comment:

• MunsterLux
    replied
    Originally posted by joconnell View Post
    I definitely believe players regress, especially those who didn't have enough skill to start with, worked on it to bring it up to a good level and then stopped doing that work. Any mechanical skill has to be practised perfectly all the time to be permanent. If you practise it sloppily or inaccurately, then that becomes permanent instead.

Agree on ireland's style too - it's pragmatic and effective against most teams but it won't beat the top 3 teams and it's very unsatisfying to watch. It'll be interesting to see how schmidt adapts it for the coming games or whether the loss of four key players just stifled what was supposed to happen.
    Masturbation, for example.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by thethirdpoliceman View Post
    First post - long time read only. Watch the winger (I think) and then the 15, they do not look for contact but beat their man with some good footwork and then offload. Now this is in many ways incomparable with higher level rugby but I guess it reminds us how the game can be played and maybe - the experience of the rwc - should be played.
    Welcome to the forum Thethirdpoliceman, an excellent first post!!!!

Leave a comment:

• thethirdpoliceman
    replied
    Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
    Isn't "basics very well. No magic. No intricate gameplans. Just the simple things done well" the definition of "a risk free, errorless gameplan"?
    First post - long time read only. Watch the winger (I think) and then the 15, they do not look for contact but beat their man with some good footwork and then offload. Now this is in many ways incomparable with higher level rugby but I guess it reminds us how the game can be played and maybe - the experience of the rwc - should be played.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Originally posted by mac22 View Post
    Its about all would fill it anyway
    Old Dog put it way better in Post 12 above.

Leave a comment:

• mac22
    replied
    Originally posted by Piquet View Post

Not much chance of a game in the Páirc anytime soon.

Its about all would fill it anyway

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post
    And four years Sewa, or selective Sewa perhaps
    Your list of excuses is wearing thin, thankfully so is Joe's

Leave a comment:

• jeepers
    replied
    Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post
    Im afraid you're overstating the skills of earls, Zebo and Murray there.

earls and Zebo are good wingers, that's about it, Murray is a very good scrummy, but needs to take some responsibility on himself make his breaks and look at his options before he gets to the base of the ruck. Tempo is what it's all about
    Joe wants flankers who can hit rucks, not wingers. All the good stuff is being coached out of those 3 players (though I think Murray maybe carrying an injury at the moment, so I wouldn't be too harsh on him).

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
    But there weren't three or four players of Murray, Earls and Zebo's ability, there were/ are six nations winners, HC winners etc who have shown time and again that they do have the skill to be trusted to play rugby rather than fecking kick chase/ contact finding.

Im afraid you're overstating the skills of earls, Zebo and Murray there.

earls and Zebo are good wingers, that's about it, Murray is a very good scrummy, but needs to take some responsibility on himself make his breaks and look at his options before he gets to the base of the ruck. Tempo is what it's all about

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    Originally posted by sewa View Post
    Look what Argentina managed with way less access to players and resources. Nothing but excuses from the Joe camp
    And four years Sewa, or selective Sewa perhaps

Leave a comment:

Working...
X