So how can we fix it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thoughtless View Post
    So because some people didn't need a bridge we should get rid of the bridge? Right...
    NO...but not be so rigid with the pathway..out player base is too small,that said things won't change Munster is now a small industry
    with a lot of Chiefs

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
      The AIL is incorporated into the development of players already. Look at current academy players - all playing AIL. Jack O Donoghue was playing AIL with UL Bohs before he progressed into the senior set up with Munster. What do you want to change about AIL and development of players?
      Is it though, how many players when they aren't playing with munster are togging out with ubl clubs. If Foley does want to go back to the traditional way, it's by doing things the old way
      Stand up and fight

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
        Won't happen. There's no financial argument for doing so. That's the bottom line.
        I hadn't realised they'd started work on it but it's a typically brazen move from the GAA. They'll find a way to get Johnny Taxpayer to stump up eventually - there are enough gobsheen politicians looking to get on side with them and an election coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
          Yes, I think the irfu were able to pay the rent for CP out of the extra tickets they could sell for the game.

Which brings us nicely to the business case for PUC. It will be a (mostly) brand new stadium, so people will want to go there. As for the hospitality, extra revenue, etc surely this can be negotiated into the deal as this is revenue PUC would not get otherwise e.g. Munster Rugby get 50%of all profits from hospitality at the ground, etc Lastly, PUC i is in the second biggest city i in the state and by far the biggest in Munster and that helps filling grounds on big match days.

I guess when revenues & funds are tight you can stick your head in the sand &hope they will. Improve, or you can actually do something constructive & innovative to try to improve things. Munster's choice?!
          The IRFU make more money per match day from the 30K smaller Aviva than they did in CP. Why? Because the get to keep all the hospitality/concession money unlike when they were in CP. Munster would be the same and have previously said that they had no interest in using the Gaelic Grounds for quarter finals as they'd make more money from Thomond.
          Do you honestly believe that the Cork county board, who were against opening Croke Park to other sports, would give a good deal for another sport to use their stadium? Which by the way they can't actually do even if they wanted to seeing as no ground outside Croke Park can actually host non GAA sporting events.

Comment

Capital work S9, managing to get more matches in Cork AND JJ come home into one thread so seamlessly, Frank Murphy and Nucifora following on, top fishing.
            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by sparks View Post
              Is it though, how many players when they aren't playing with munster are togging out with ubl clubs. If Foley does want to go back to the traditional way, it's by doing things the old way
              Not many but pro players are limited to 2 per AIL1 game. Some play when they need to
              The "traditional way" wont cut it if we want to be successful

Comment

I'm completely out of touch with AIL club playing standards, could someone provide a guideline as to where the top 2 or 3 clubs are in relation to French/English divisions? I'm guessing French Div 3, UK next league down from championship?

Comment

All ireland league is not fit for purpose. Cork Con have less support than Cobh Ramblers. New franchises will have to be created similar to Minor League teams in America. Munster Rugby would have a feeder team based in Cork and Tipp for example. Limerick is over supplied by Rugby so it would best not to have a team there.

Comment

Only for the big box office draw games. It would have to be Munster V leinster imho, and say Euro cup 1/4finals or pro 12 semis (or finals) say.

P.s.also we know from all the dedicated limerick Munster fans on here, that it is only a little over an hour on the road Limerick to Cork!
                    When's the last time you drive from Limerick to Cork, on a good day it's over an hour to Mallow alone and another 40 minutes to Cork after that.
                    Add match traffic to that and your in 2 hour territory.
                    I do think however that playing matches in Staid a' Ghearaltaigh should be explored. Apparently the CLG don't own it.
                    We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                    Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Originally posted by rockwell View Post
                      I'm completely out of touch with AIL club playing standards, could someone provide a guideline as to where the top 2 or 3 clubs are in relation to French/English divisions? I'm guessing French Div 3, UK next league down from championship?

Depends how you define level. The Munster "A" side has been competitive against Nat 1 teams in the B&I. There's a big drop off from there to the division below.
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Yes, I think the irfu were able to pay the rent for CP out of the extra tickets they could sell for the game.

Which brings us nicely to the business case for PUC. It will be a (mostly) brand new stadium, so people will want to go there. As for the hospitality, extra revenue, etc surely this can be negotiated into the deal as this is revenue PUC would not get otherwise e.g. Munster Rugby get 50%of all profits from hospitality at the ground, etc Lastly, PUC i is in the second biggest city i in the state and by far the biggest in Munster and that helps filling grounds on big match days.

I guess when revenues & funds are tight you can stick your head in the sand &hope they will. Improve, or you can actually do something constructive & innovative to try to improve things. Munster's choice?!
                        More importantly it would have a novelty factor which would get crowds to turn up

Comment

Lenihan - CEO
                          Decci - DOR
                          Dougie - Head Coach
                          Big Jim - Forwards
                          EOS - Backs
                          Tipoki - Defence
                          Bradley - Skills

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post
                            The IRFU make more money per match day from the 30K smaller Aviva than they did in CP. Why? Because the get to keep all the hospitality/concession money unlike when they were in CP. Munster would be the same and have previously said that they had no interest in using the Gaelic Grounds for quarter finals as they'd make more money from Thomond.
                            Do you honestly believe that the Cork county board, who were against opening Croke Park to other sports, would give a good deal for another sport to use their stadium? Which by the way they can't actually do even if they wanted to seeing as no ground outside Croke Park can actually host non GAA sporting events.
                            The Munster Branch would be in a much stronger bargaining position to get a share of the hospitality profits from any PUC matches. obviously getting a deal that would make commercial sense over utilising the 'half the size' Thomond Park would be a minimum criteria hurdle for the MB/IRFU.

Apparently the GAA could offer the new PUC to other sports as it is a new build and this is allowed under their constitution. Besides it makes total sense for them, if they can secure say 200K per Munster game to pay down the cost of this stadium refurb, then why not!? I think after the success of the CP leasing to the IRFU for internationals, and with the world cup bid supported, there would be widespread support for allowing Munster Rugby use PUC within the GAA. After all the GAA now use Musgrave Park occasionally themselves. The world is evolving..... so should Munster rugby imho!!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

My personal preference is to watch Munster each year in the league and cup. It has provided some great memories over the years and anything that diminishes the provinces to enhance the national team, is a bummer.
                              The world cup only comes around every 4 years and they are unlikely to win it in my lifetime. Lets have a max quota of 5 foreigners in any team and let the province management play who they want. Excluding our medical jokers is a an IRFU joke and will backfire on them, when The provinces decline in europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post
                                Given the government funding for PUC and the fact that it is included as a venue for the 2023 bid there is little Cork could do about it. All that would be left is the buy in from Cork City Council and it could be a very real runner

Comment

Working...
                                X